Temp Check on Recent Build

csboarder23

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Recently built a new system(4 mos ago give or take) and am currently using the stock cooler. Purchased a 212+ but am reconsidering if I need it. I am NOT currently overclocking, may in the future but it is pretty doubtful as Im happy with the performance Im currently getting. Maybe to squeeze life out of it in a few years.

System:
cpu - i5 - 2500k
mobo - ASUS P8Z 68-VLX
PS - cooler master 450w
case - cooler master HAF 912
gpu - sapphire 6850
cooing - stock cpu cooler, two 120m fans currently installed (one front intake, one rear exhaust)

Recently purchased the 212+ and a 200m fan that will be installed as exhaust on the top of the case. I am planning to install the 200m to improve airflow, but not sure if I will get any material benefit from the 212+ if I am not overclocking.

Current temps are:
idle - ~36c
multitask (multiple streams and office suite/internet) - 46c
gaming (LOTRO) - 59c max, runs around 49c when I minimize mid-game to check temps
room temp - 77f/25c here in the summer
I have not run Prime 95, so do not no true load test temps, but if that will help you guys I can run that.

In summary I will not be overclocking but will be playing LOTRO, Skyrim, etc and trying to decide if the 212+ is a worthwhile investment. I know cooler is better, but not sure if the benefit to non-overclockers. Thanks for any responses and let me know if I need to provide more info.

Temps are well within acceptable ranges.
Under full load, 50-60c is great, 60-70c is acceptable, 70-80c could be better and 80-90c is what I consider too hot, 90+ is dangerous. At 100c most processor will degrade their own performances to avoid overheating.

If you aren't overclocking the main benefit of aftermarket cooling is its quieter. But considering you now have an aftermarket cooler and overclock capable parts, why not?

I'm a little concerned about OP's board for OCing...Mild OC's may be fine, but definitely not something past 4.3Ghz :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, however.

It is a budget board, so the power delivery may not be as good as higher end boards.

But according to this review.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/zardon/asus-p8z68-v-lx-motherboard-review/23/
They managed to get a 2600k to 4.6Ghz, which did require a small voltage adjustment. So its possible.

Thanks for that :) I stand corrected! (or rather no more concerns, they were primarily due to the power delivery)