Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Video Stuttering in Windows 8, could it be the Nvidia Drivers?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 8, 2012 2:21:27 PM

Hello :hello:  ,

Before I start System Specs:

Windows 8 (Consumer)
CPU: i7 920 @ 4.009 GHZ :sol: 
RAM: 10 Gigs
HDD: 64 Gig SSD + 90 GIG SSD + 128 SSD + 1 TB HDD
GPU: 670 GTX x's 2 :pt1cable: 
PSU: Corsair HX 1000
MB: Asus Gene II
Case: NZXT Phantom :love: 
Temps: Normal (nothing above 80 Degrees Celsius :bounce:  )
Nvidia Drivers: Latest 304.79

I recently installed windows 8, and when using Media Player to watch a video clip (avi or mkv), after about 5-15 mins it starts getting some minor stutter. It also gets much worse when I push the video to play on my 3rd screen and launch a game on my main screen, the stutter turns into picture and picture. In windows 7 I was able to do this flawlessly :o  .
(the weird part was, in windows 7 my frame rates were really bad for some reason, even though it said 70 fps + in metro it felt like 20s).

When I switched to VLC player, the stuttering stopped when playing videos but the problem when launching a game still persists.

Could this be Nvidia driver related, or could it be the way the new Windows tunes down background apps? :heink: 

:sweat:  Solutions I've tried: :cry: 
Download VLC player and tried every configuration Settings
Task Manager: Affinity Check and Priority Real time
Checked power Settings
Checked Nvidia CP
Windows Theme to Basic

Solution from Microsoft Answers:
Method 1: Run the settings troubleshooter and check if that helps.
a) Move the mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen and right-click on the ‘Start’ icon and select ‘Control Panel’.
b) In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooter’, and then click ‘Troubleshooting’.
c) Click on ‘Programs’ and under ‘Media Player’ select ‘Windows Media Player Settings’ and click on ‘next’ to run the troubleshooter.
Method 2: Start the computer in clean boot and then try to play the videos and check if the issue persists.
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.
d) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.
e) Click on ‘Startup’ tab and click on ‘Open Task Manager’.
f) Right-click on the startup items and click on ‘Disable’.
g) Click ‘OK’, and then click ‘Restart’.
Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.
a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the `.
b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 3: Set the computer to run under best performance and check if the issue persists.
a) Move the mouse to bottom left corner and right click on the start icon and select ‘System’.
b) Click on ‘Advanced System Settings’ and click on ‘settings’ under ‘Performance’.
c) Select ‘Adjust for best performance’ and click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘Ok’.

:sol:  Thank You:)  Any help is greatly appreciated!
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 8:09:14 PM

Try running your CPU clock lower for Windows 8.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 8:15:52 PM

fantastik250 said:

I assume you have some reason for this advice and I am curious what it is
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 8:22:14 PM

In order to troubleshoot stutters, you must make sure that the components are running at default to rule out any interference from it. Otherwise, I would also suspect Windows 8.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 8:27:16 PM

Good catch. I skimmed over his configuration and hadn't noticed the overclock.
Score
July 9, 2012 3:36:33 AM

fantastik250 said:

Great idea! I'll post tomorrow my results!!!! :) 
Score
July 9, 2012 5:59:27 PM

Nope Same thing! :( 
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 7:49:36 PM

I want to be sure that I follow your original post correctly, did you have this same issue on windows 7?
Score
July 9, 2012 7:50:10 PM

I get constant crashes in Windows 8. Probably just windows
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 7:52:35 PM

I am also thinking it may be windows related.
Score
July 9, 2012 8:32:25 PM

fantastik250 said:
I want to be sure that I follow your original post correctly, did you have this same issue on windows 7?

No windows 7 was flawless! And I merely did an upgrade to Windows 8...:( 
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 8:45:24 PM

L1qu1d said:
No windows 7 was flawless! And I merely did an upgrade to Windows 8...:( 

And what makes you think W8 is flawless?
Score
July 9, 2012 8:49:07 PM

Mousemonkey said:
And what makes you think W8 is flawless?

Sorry I don't believe I said the word flawless when it came to windows, I was merely asking if it could be Nvidia driver issue or Windows 8.

Whats with the snooty response? :sarcastic: 

We still don't know if it could be a problem on Nvidia's end with the OS.

I'll keep trying to figure it out, it would be nice to hear from others if they have the same issue!
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 8:52:07 PM

L1qu1d said:
Sorry I don't believe I said the word flawless when it came to windows, I was merely asking if it could be Nvidia driver issue or Windows 8.

Whats with the snooty response? :sarcastic: 

We still don't know if it could be a problem on Nvidia's end with the OS.

I'll keep trying to figure it out, it would be nice to hear from others if they have the same issue!

I merely quoted what you posted and W8 is still in beta is not? What's snooty about asking a question by the way? :heink: 
Score
July 9, 2012 8:54:26 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I merely quoted what you posted and W8 is still in beta is not? What's snooty about asking a question by the way? :heink: 

It just not an answer, question or comment you expect to see in a help section. I stated that in windows 7 it worked flawlessly, and it really hard imagine how a simplistic thing as running a video and a game (which the S3 can almost do...well surf + video) could have such a hard time even on a beta. Especially one as close as this is to RTM. It just seemed snooty to me:) 

P.S

Bring back start button, you can tell this OS was meant for Touch screen.....
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 9:01:06 PM

L1qu1d said:
It just not an answer, question or comment you expect to see in a help section. I stated that in windows 7 it worked flawlessly, and it really hard imagine how a simplistic thing as running a video and a game (which the S3 can almost do...well surf + video) could have such a hard time even on a beta. Especially one as close as this is to RTM. It just seemed snooty to me:) 

P.S

Bring back start button, you can tell this OS was meant for Touch screen.....

Considering the "issues" that both Vista and W7 both had (though W7 had much less) with Nvidia and AMD/ATi drivers after their respective public releases I'm not at all surprised that there are a few issues with the RTM of W8 and if that's being snooty then so be it.
Score
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 9:18:23 PM

I would expect it to be more probable that its the OS but you can always try a different driver.
302.82 was the first released driver for W8 specifically.

Mactronix :) 
Score
July 9, 2012 9:22:37 PM

mactronix said:
I would expect it to be more probable that its the OS but you can always try a different driver.
302.82 was the first released driver for W8 specifically.

hmm rolling back never been a fan! but its definitely a good idea I'll give it a try tonight and report back. Thank you!!

@mousemonkey

now that's not snooty to me, you explained it and I understood, I for one didn't know that:) 
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 9:24:19 PM

L1qu1d said:
hmm rolling back never been a fan! but its definitely a good idea I'll give it a try tonight and report back. Thank you!!

@mousemonkey

now that's not snooty to me, you explained it and I understood, I for one didn't know that:) 

You didn't play with the betas of W7 and Vista?
Score
July 9, 2012 9:29:19 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You didn't play with the betas of W7 and Vista?

I played with the Vista beta but that was the spawn of satin, I didn't even get a chance to play with the video drivers because of how unstable the OS was on it's own.

That from what I remember was a complete refresh though, Windows 8 seems to be and improved 7 which 7 I guess is what Vista Should've been.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 9:35:09 PM

L1qu1d said:
I played with the Vista beta but that was the spawn of satin, I didn't even get a chance to play with the video drivers because of how unstable the OS was on it's own.

That from what I remember was a complete refresh though, Windows 8 seems to be and improved 7 which 7 I guess is what Vista Should've been.

W7 is just a working version of Vista IMHO and whilst I have yet to play with W8, everything I've been reading so far would suggest that it's a bit of an abortion so it does not surprise me that their might be issues.
Score
July 9, 2012 9:38:34 PM

Mousemonkey said:
W7 is just a working version of Vista IMHO and whilst I have yet to play with W8, everything I've been reading so far would suggest that it's a bit of an abortion so it does not surprise me that their might be issues.

The OS is really Smooth and games for some reason run better for me (might be placebo effect) but the overall clear aim is the Tablet Market. The OS seems like it belongs hand in hand with a touchscreen...

Everything seems be done through transitions instead of Fast click and movement. I dunno hopefully I don't know something or they give users more of an option.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 9:40:13 PM

L1qu1d said:
The OS is really Smooth and games for some reason run better for me (might be placebo effect) but the overall clear aim is the Tablet Market. The OS seems like it belongs hand in hand with a touchscreen...

Everything seems be done through transitions instead of Fast click and movement. I dunno hopefully I don't know something or they give users more of an option.

Yes, that has always been the aim and was the whole reason for the shift in the design of the UI.
Score
July 9, 2012 9:45:02 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Yes, that has always been the aim and was the whole reason for the shift in the design of the UI.

Boo!
Score
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 10, 2012 8:02:16 AM

Vista was bad, It ended up usable I guess but took some effort to adjust to. W8 just dosent do it for me.
I think they were banking on the fact that most people would seem to have smart phones based on the sales numbers, that would lead to a conclusion that most would be able to adjust to the new GUI as they had seen something similar and it would be intuitive enough that people could work it out through trial and error.
I think they went too far in one go personally. The charms for instance could and I think should have been left out of this release and the option to turn the Start button into the charms would have eased people into it.
You could easily have left it as is with the option to sent X/Y or Z to a corner.

Just my 2 cents.

Score
July 10, 2012 10:53:16 AM

mactronix said:
Vista was bad, It ended up usable I guess but took some effort to adjust to. W8 just dosent do it for me.
I think they were banking on the fact that most people would seem to have smart phones based on the sales numbers, that would lead to a conclusion that most would be able to adjust to the new GUI as they had seen something similar and it would be intuitive enough that people could work it out through trial and error.
I think they went too far in one go personally. The charms for instance could and I think should have been left out of this release and the option to turn the Start button into the charms would have eased people into it.
You could easily have left it as is with the option to sent X/Y or Z to a corner.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree:) 
Score
July 11, 2012 2:43:51 AM

Still no avail! I'll wait for the Next Nvidia Drivers then roll back to windows 7 if they don't help:) 
Score
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 10:52:22 AM

Sorry to here that, at least it gives us some info to go forward with. My daughter has a laptop that I was feeling evil about(the daughter not the laptop) when I fixed an issue for her and I installed W8 as a sort of personal project.
Just to see how she got along with it. She didn't. Any way I realise its a different kettle of fish but that wouldn't play even the simplest of games.

So maybe they just have yet to really concentrate on gaming support ?

Score
July 11, 2012 1:31:09 PM

mactronix said:
Sorry to here that, at least it gives us some info to go forward with. My daughter has a laptop that I was feeling evil about(the daughter not the laptop) when I fixed an issue for her and I installed W8 as a sort of personal project.
Just to see how she got along with it. She didn't. Any way I realise its a different kettle of fish but that wouldn't play even the simplest of games.

So maybe they just have yet to really concentrate on gaming support ?

Yeah Most likely. We'll see...:)  The OS is very smooth though, I'll give it that!
Score
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 2:09:39 PM

Oh I'm sure it will suit some people, A brand new install of anything will be smooth, I guess it depends how the final release behaves after 6 months of real world use rather than a few half hearted sessions where people are not really using it, just poking about with this and that.

I have seen enough personally in both beta releases that I have no intention of going anywhere near it, as far as upgrading goes, thanks but no thanks. To me the negatives outweigh the positives.

Score
July 11, 2012 10:09:01 PM

mactronix said:
Oh I'm sure it will suit some people, A brand new install of anything will be smooth, I guess it depends how the final release behaves after 6 months of real world use rather than a few half hearted sessions where people are not really using it, just poking about with this and that.

I have seen enough personally in both beta releases that I have no intention of going anywhere near it, as far as upgrading goes, thanks but no thanks. To me the negatives outweigh the positives.

I'm really want to like it...actually TBH this is how I feel when ever there is a new windows release. I love the whole upgrade and experience a new OS. Usually making things easier, but your right in this case it's very tedious.

I could live with the OS and probably grow accustomed to it, with a touch screen LCD and hopefully the video stutter fix:p 
Score
July 12, 2012 3:17:41 AM

Ok, this is getting absolutely hilarious!

So the stutter is still here, but I found 1 game that doesn't stutter any video I play. Conviction.

Splinter Cell Conviction can be played and any movie I run on my third monitor doesn't stutter.

Now I had to disable dual cards to get the game running, when I had the 2 670s enabled the graphics were glitched and it wouldn't display anything.

So I tried disabling Sli to see if the stutter goes away, and it doesn't

So there, if any of you want to watch a video and play a game in windows 8 without the stutter, it's Conviction...the most "Optimized" game out of the PC line up...:p 
Score
July 12, 2012 10:41:17 PM

Any Theories?
Score
July 12, 2012 11:12:38 PM

Any Theories?
Score
!