Explorer File Sorting

July 5, 2005 2:28:03 PM

Do you know how to change the default sorting when looking at files in
windows explorer to sort by character rather than the entire word.
Example:
If I have the files "t-2000-abc" and "t-10000-abc"
I want t-10000-abc to be listed before t-6000-abc because 1 comes before 6.
windows sees the 2000 before 10000. I want windows to sort using each ascii
character not the full numeric value.
I figure it might be an option in an ini file or something. Maybe a tricks
book would tell how.
Any ideas?

More about : explorer file sorting

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:48:51 PM

A leading 0 would do that. Instead of t-2000-abc, use t-02000-abc.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"dwightpruitt" <dwightpruitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you know how to change the default sorting when looking at files in
> windows explorer to sort by character rather than the entire word.
> Example:
> If I have the files "t-2000-abc" and "t-10000-abc"
> I want t-10000-abc to be listed before t-6000-abc because 1 comes before 6.
> windows sees the 2000 before 10000. I want windows to sort using each ascii
> character not the full numeric value.
> I figure it might be an option in an ini file or something. Maybe a tricks
> book would tell how.
> Any ideas?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:11:20 PM

The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

Use TweakUI

TweakUI
[+] Explorer
? Use intuitive filename sorting

[[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
“File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
----

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
-----

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

-----

Windows Explorer Incorrectly Sorts Files and Folders with 10 or
More Consecutive Numerals
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318872

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.