Explorer File Sorting

Do you know how to change the default sorting when looking at files in
windows explorer to sort by character rather than the entire word.
Example:
If I have the files "t-2000-abc" and "t-10000-abc"
I want t-10000-abc to be listed before t-6000-abc because 1 comes before 6.
windows sees the 2000 before 10000. I want windows to sort using each ascii
character not the full numeric value.
I figure it might be an option in an ini file or something. Maybe a tricks
book would tell how.
Any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about explorer file sorting

    A leading 0 would do that. Instead of t-2000-abc, use t-02000-abc.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "dwightpruitt" <dwightpruitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Do you know how to change the default sorting when looking at files in
    > windows explorer to sort by character rather than the entire word.
    > Example:
    > If I have the files "t-2000-abc" and "t-10000-abc"
    > I want t-10000-abc to be listed before t-6000-abc because 1 comes before 6.
    > windows sees the 2000 before 10000. I want windows to sort using each ascii
    > character not the full numeric value.
    > I figure it might be an option in an ini file or something. Maybe a tricks
    > book would tell how.
    > Any ideas?

    The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
    Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

    Use TweakUI

    TweakUI
    [+] Explorer
    ? Use intuitive filename sorting

    [[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
    comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
    Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
    “File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
    ----

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    -----

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    -----

    Windows Explorer Incorrectly Sorts Files and Folders with 10 or
    More Consecutive Numerals
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318872

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:97E4A079-BCE7-4206-834B-8DD61CD6F6A1@microsoft.com,
    dwightpruitt <dwightpruitt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Do you know how to change the default sorting when looking at files in
    > windows explorer to sort by character rather than the entire word.
    > Example:
    > If I have the files "t-2000-abc" and "t-10000-abc"
    > I want t-10000-abc to be listed before t-6000-abc because 1 comes before
    > 6. windows sees the 2000 before 10000. I want windows to sort using each
    > ascii character not the full numeric value.
    > I figure it might be an option in an ini file or something. Maybe a tricks
    > book would tell how.
    > Any ideas?

Configuration Explorer Windows XP