Jul 8, 2012
First off I'll lay down my system specs:

Intel i5-2500K
Asus P8Z68-V LX
G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB 1600Mhz x2
Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition 2GB GDDR5
AverTV H727 HD Capture Card
500W Coolermaster PSU

I've had the HD 7850 card for about a month now and the problem I am getting is that the screen will suddenly go black for a second or two with the following error displaying when the screen comes back;

"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

It happened a couple of times in the second day I had the card installed when either the desktop was idling or doing small things like browsing the internet. Then for a while it was fine, also I have to mention it has never once done this whilst playing games, even really intense ones, it's always fine.

The problem has returned, but only happens when I run an online broadcast, streaming a game or something from my AverTV HD capture card. It randomly resets my display from anywhere between 10 minutes to seconds of each reset. It's very strange and the only thing I can think of right now is that the capture card is sucking all the power away from the graphics card, but if this was the case, surely this would happen also when playing a really power hungry game?

I've tried re-installing the graphics drivers countless times using Windows Safe mode and driver removal software to no avail.

Vixtro

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

Physically? No, the card is brand new so there is no need to clean it.

The graphics card is not overclocked, I have my i5-2500K overclocked at 4.5Ghz though and never had a problem with that.

Upgrade to the latest Catalyst drivers, 12.6. I was seeing this kind of thing with both my HD7770 and HD7870, but it hasn't been happening since I upgraded.

Incidentally, you should treat that CM PSU as good for no more than 430W continuous. It may not be a part of this problem, but could easily become the source of others. I would suggest replacing it. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.

Vixtro

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

I updated to the latest Catalyst earlier this week when it popped up in the software itself, I assume it installed the latest display driver too.

Since this is such a unique problem, I think the only thing I can really try is getting a new PSU. Even if it doesn't sort the problem, I could do with a new PSU anyway.