rouges?

hi,
i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :P this is
going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
mixing with large groups of different classes?
10 answers Last reply
More about rouges

    phil2phil wrote:
    > hi,
    > i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :P this is
    > going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
    > always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
    > rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
    > warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
    > a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
    > cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
    > the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
    > mixing with large groups of different classes?

    Rogues are not tanks at all. Their primary job is damage. Balance is
    fine.

    Only down side I can think of is it's a popular class so you are
    competing with more people for group spots than say a warlock, druid,
    or preist.

    If you like to "tank", take a look at the warrior. Warriors are
    superior tanks to paladins, and in a group with each, the warrior will
    almost always be the tank while the paladin becomes a secondary
    tank/caster. In the highest level dungeons, warriors are required to
    tank.

    not so popular unless you're in a PvP server. I don't play PvP servers
    so you'd be surprised, only like 1 out of 6 groups I am has a rogue.
    There's always a paladin or two, always a mage, 1 hunter or warlock,
    maybe a druid, but rogues? almost never.

    Well then you're doing a good 'step-up' from single player games. WoW
    is very easy and forgiving, the perfect first step from single players,
    as you can solo all the way to 60 if you want, but you will form a
    group once in a while when you try the instances.
    Each class has strengths and weakness, and none is 'better' than
    others, it's just a matter of choice.
    In my case, I don't like meleers, so I don't like warriors, rogues and
    in a lesser way, paladins. It's just not my style. I prefer casting
    from afar. That doesn't mean a mage is better than a warrior, they're
    just very different.
    In fact, I would suggest you create a char of each class, play the
    first few levels of each, and then decide for yourself.

    In <1124468633.123122.250330@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> "phil2phil" <philtwophil@yahoo.com> writes:

    > always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
    > rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
    > warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
    > a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
    > cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
    > the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
    > mixing with large groups of different classes?

    Rogues are fine characters. They can't tank the bigger monsters, true,
    but that's what the warriors / paladins are for. You just have to be
    careful not to go hog-wild with backstab and draw aggro away from the
    tank.

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com

    "phil2phil" <philtwophil@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :P this is
    > going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
    > always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
    > rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
    > warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
    > a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
    > cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
    > the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
    > mixing with large groups of different classes?

    Well the first thing you should do is learn how to spell your own class...
    it's rogue not rouge.

    In article <atpNe.29461$j83.27738@fe05.news.easynews.com>,
    "McDLT" <no@no.no> wrote:

    > "phil2phil" <philtwophil@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > hi,
    > > i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :P this is
    > > going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
    > > always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
    > > rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
    > > warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
    > > a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
    > > cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
    > > the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
    > > mixing with large groups of different classes?
    > >

    > Well the first thing you should do is learn how to spell your own class...
    > it's rogue not rouge.

    He may have been talking about foundations and lipsticks and eyeliners
    and stuff, don't just jump to the conclusion that he meant something
    from a silly rpg game.

    Oh wait, what newsgroup am I in?

    --
    Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (60), Undead mage
    Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

    phil2phil wrote:
    > hi,
    > i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :P this is
    > going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
    > always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
    > rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
    > warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
    > a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
    > cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
    > the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
    > mixing with large groups of different classes?

    Well if you want a guaranteed spot in every instance run ever..... make
    a priest. hehe.

    "Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message

    > Well if you want a guaranteed spot in every instance run ever..... make a
    > priest. hehe

    Agreed. I lvled a paly to 60, then switched to undead priest - now lvl 33 -
    and almost daily, I'm whispered to join in low lvl instances, groups, etc.

    Couldn't be happier with the priest.

    Phlip

    phil2phil wrote:
    > hi,
    > i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :P this is
    > going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
    > always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
    > rouge, but just concerned are they weak?

    A rogue can solo just fine. Yes, they are a class designed to do their
    damage in melee and also a class having some of the weakest armor
    around. But the rogue class has abilities which allow it to get around
    that situation. They can't stand up to damage very well, but they can
    avoid it by either stunning their target so it can't hit back or by
    diverting their target's attention to another character.

    > i mean with a paladin or
    > warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
    > a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
    > cause my char. is too weak to take a hit.

    You need to use skill and play smart to avoid taking the hits.

    > are they balanced ok with
    > the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
    > mixing with large groups of different classes?

    They are a pefectly fine class. But they are an "extra" class and not
    one of the primary grouping classes which means they are in competition
    not only with each other but also with other classes (hunters,
    warlocks, mages) when it comes to groups.

    If you feel like you want to try being a rogue, then be a rogue. You
    can blind and stun your opponent, vanish from sight, cripple his
    movement or casting speed with poisons, etc. Rogues are one of the
    more popular classes for a reason -- they have a lot of tools at their
    disposal along with very good damage dealing. They are not wimps who
    go down in a single hit. You just have to play them a little
    differently than a warrior or paladin with tons of hit points and high
    armor, and differently than a mage who can practically have anything
    dead before it can reach them.

    phil2phil left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > hi,
    > i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :P this is
    > going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
    > always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
    > rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
    > warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
    > a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
    > cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
    > the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
    > mixing with large groups of different classes?

    A rogue is all about maximum damage to a single target. They are not
    tanks whose job it is to take damage.

    But because of their stealth approach and 'shadowy' persona they are
    very popular choices - especially on PvP servers where a decent rogue
    can take half the health bar from a caster before they realize they've
    been ambushed. Since many players roll a rogue you have a great deal of
    competition in groups and to make matters worse many groups prefer to
    take a mage over a rogue for their free water and AoE damage.

    So if you like PvP and are not overly bothered by grouping then roll a
    rogue.

    If you really want more group action (?!) then go with either a Priest
    or a Warrior.
    --
    Stoneskin

    My personal army of Coalition members on Sunstrider are...

    Necrofear - lvl 60 Undead Priest
    Relinquished - lvl 22 Undead Warlock
    Wartorn - lvl 21 Tauren Warrior
    Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage