hi,
i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :p this is
going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
mixing with large groups of different classes?

phil2phil wrote:
> hi,
> i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :p this is
> going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
> always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
> rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
> warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
> a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
> cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
> the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
> mixing with large groups of different classes?

Rogues are not tanks at all. Their primary job is damage. Balance is
fine.

Only down side I can think of is it's a popular class so you are
competing with more people for group spots than say a warlock, druid,
or preist.

If you like to "tank", take a look at the warrior. Warriors are
superior tanks to paladins, and in a group with each, the warrior will
almost always be the tank while the paladin becomes a secondary
tank/caster. In the highest level dungeons, warriors are required to
tank.

not so popular unless you're in a PvP server. I don't play PvP servers
so you'd be surprised, only like 1 out of 6 groups I am has a rogue.
There's always a paladin or two, always a mage, 1 hunter or warlock,
maybe a druid, but rogues? almost never.

Well then you're doing a good 'step-up' from single player games. WoW
is very easy and forgiving, the perfect first step from single players,
as you can solo all the way to 60 if you want, but you will form a
group once in a while when you try the instances.
Each class has strengths and weakness, and none is 'better' than
others, it's just a matter of choice.
In my case, I don't like meleers, so I don't like warriors, rogues and
in a lesser way, paladins. It's just not my style. I prefer casting
from afar. That doesn't mean a mage is better than a warrior, they're
just very different.
In fact, I would suggest you create a char of each class, play the
first few levels of each, and then decide for yourself.

In <1124468633.123122.250330@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> "phil2phil" <philtwophil@yahoo.com> writes:

> always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
> rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
> warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
> a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
> cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
> the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
> mixing with large groups of different classes?

Rogues are fine characters. They can't tank the bigger monsters, true,
but that's what the warriors / paladins are for. You just have to be
careful not to go hog-wild with backstab and draw aggro away from the
tank.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

"phil2phil" <philtwophil@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hi,
> i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :p this is
> going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
> always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
> rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
> warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
> a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
> cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
> the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
> mixing with large groups of different classes?

Well the first thing you should do is learn how to spell your own class...
it's rogue not rouge.

In article <atpNe.29461$j83.27738@fe05.news.easynews.com>,
"McDLT" <no@no.no> wrote:

> "phil2phil" <philtwophil@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > hi,
> > i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :p this is
> > going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
> > always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
> > rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
> > warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
> > a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
> > cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
> > the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
> > mixing with large groups of different classes?
> >

> Well the first thing you should do is learn how to spell your own class...
> it's rogue not rouge.

He may have been talking about foundations and lipsticks and eyeliners
and stuff, don't just jump to the conclusion that he meant something
from a silly rpg game.

Oh wait, what newsgroup am I in?

--
Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (60), Undead mage
Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

phil2phil wrote:
> hi,
> i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :p this is
> going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
> always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
> rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
> warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
> a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
> cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
> the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
> mixing with large groups of different classes?

Well if you want a guaranteed spot in every instance run ever..... make
a priest. hehe.

phlip

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

"Azeus" <IFARTINYOURGENERALDIRECTION@MP.com> wrote in message

> Well if you want a guaranteed spot in every instance run ever..... make a
> priest. hehe

Agreed. I lvled a paly to 60, then switched to undead priest - now lvl 33 -
and almost daily, I'm whispered to join in low lvl instances, groups, etc.

Couldn't be happier with the priest.

Phlip

phil2phil wrote:
> hi,
> i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :p this is
> going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
> always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
> rouge, but just concerned are they weak?

A rogue can solo just fine. Yes, they are a class designed to do their
damage in melee and also a class having some of the weakest armor
around. But the rogue class has abilities which allow it to get around
that situation. They can't stand up to damage very well, but they can
avoid it by either stunning their target so it can't hit back or by
diverting their target's attention to another character.

> i mean with a paladin or
> warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
> a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
> cause my char. is too weak to take a hit.

You need to use skill and play smart to avoid taking the hits.

> are they balanced ok with
> the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
> mixing with large groups of different classes?

They are a pefectly fine class. But they are an "extra" class and not
one of the primary grouping classes which means they are in competition
not only with each other but also with other classes (hunters,
warlocks, mages) when it comes to groups.

If you feel like you want to try being a rogue, then be a rogue. You
can blind and stun your opponent, vanish from sight, cripple his
movement or casting speed with poisons, etc. Rogues are one of the
more popular classes for a reason -- they have a lot of tools at their
disposal along with very good damage dealing. They are not wimps who
go down in a single hit. You just have to play them a little
differently than a warrior or paladin with tons of hit points and high
armor, and differently than a mage who can practically have anything
dead before it can reach them.

phil2phil left a note on my windscreen which said:

> hi,
> i'm a new player, actually going to install the game tonigth :p this is
> going to be my 1st online mmorpg, usually play single player ones,
> always a paladin. i was thinking for a change to be a neutral or evil
> rouge, but just concerned are they weak? i mean with a paladin or
> warrior i can tank into a battle, i know i need to be more careful with
> a rouge, but does i don't want to miss out on any large battles just
> cause my char. is too weak to take a hit. are they balanced ok with
> the other characters? or are most rogue's just hanging together not
> mixing with large groups of different classes?

A rogue is all about maximum damage to a single target. They are not
tanks whose job it is to take damage.

But because of their stealth approach and 'shadowy' persona they are
very popular choices - especially on PvP servers where a decent rogue
can take half the health bar from a caster before they realize they've
been ambushed. Since many players roll a rogue you have a great deal of
competition in groups and to make matters worse many groups prefer to
take a mage over a rogue for their free water and AoE damage.

So if you like PvP and are not overly bothered by grouping then roll a
rogue.

If you really want more group action (?!) then go with either a Priest
or a Warrior.
--
Stoneskin

My personal army of Coalition members on Sunstrider are...

Necrofear - lvl 60 Undead Priest
Relinquished - lvl 22 Undead Warlock
Wartorn - lvl 21 Tauren Warrior
Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage