Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Tom's Hardware
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2013 4:02:46 PM

Hello, i am new to tom's hardware..

Can anyone give me some input here?
i recently got a computer from my parents (hdd crashed, they didnt feel like paying) which had this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-186-...

I was able to determine that the process is at least an athlon 2.2ghz... (i think a 64 x2 maybe? wont know until i get it fixed.) bur regardless, i would like to upgrade the cpu on this board, if all possible. I want to know, could the following athlon processer work in this board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note- my goal is to make a low budget gaming pc..

Thanks for any input!

Brian

More about : amd athlon 640 mobo

a b à CPUs
January 10, 2013 4:16:35 PM

Yes, you are good to go with that Motherboard / CPU combination. You may want to do a BIOS update on the board (if available) to make sure everything is good to go before swapping the CPU's.
m
l
January 10, 2013 5:04:32 PM

Also if you want to use it for gaming you may want to possibly consider getting a better CPU fan other than the stock one AMD give you. Especially if you are thinking of overclocking the CPU
m
l
Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
January 10, 2013 5:07:11 PM

Yes that will work just fine.
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:06:18 AM

itzdanielp said:
Yes, you are good to go with that Motherboard / CPU combination. You may want to do a BIOS update on the board (if available) to make sure everything is good to go before swapping the CPU's.

What would you recommend if i can't update the BIOS? Am i screwed then?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2013 1:40:00 PM

Not necessarily. There shouldn't be any reason you can't update the BIOS though.

The only reason I suggested that is that the MB probably came out before the CPU, and a BIOS update would update the "drivers" so to say that would allow the MB to detect and run the CPU correctly. It may work just fine without that though.
m
l
!