Amd athlon II x4 640 on my mobo?

Hello, i am new to tom's hardware..

Can anyone give me some input here?
i recently got a computer from my parents (hdd crashed, they didnt feel like paying) which had this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-186-155&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

I was able to determine that the process is at least an athlon 2.2ghz... (i think a 64 x2 maybe? wont know until i get it fixed.) bur regardless, i would like to upgrade the cpu on this board, if all possible. I want to know, could the following athlon processer work in this board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871

Note- my goal is to make a low budget gaming pc..

Thanks for any input!

Brian
5 answers Last reply
More about athlon mobo
  1. Yes, you are good to go with that Motherboard / CPU combination. You may want to do a BIOS update on the board (if available) to make sure everything is good to go before swapping the CPU's.
  2. Also if you want to use it for gaming you may want to possibly consider getting a better CPU fan other than the stock one AMD give you. Especially if you are thinking of overclocking the CPU
  3. Yes that will work just fine.
  4. itzdanielp said:
    Yes, you are good to go with that Motherboard / CPU combination. You may want to do a BIOS update on the board (if available) to make sure everything is good to go before swapping the CPU's.

What would you recommend if i can't update the BIOS? Am i screwed then?
  5. Not necessarily. There shouldn't be any reason you can't update the BIOS though.

The only reason I suggested that is that the MB probably came out before the CPU, and a BIOS update would update the "drivers" so to say that would allow the MB to detect and run the CPU correctly. It may work just fine without that though.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Tom's Hardware Product