Closed Solved

Nvidia gtx 550 ti compatibility with gigabyte ga-g31m-es2l motherboard

Hello, this is deepanshu, i own a nvidia 9500 gt card 1 gb running on my gigabyte ga-g31m-es2l motherboard. i wanted 2 upgrade my pc by buying a new zotac gtx 550 ti whose spec is it is GDDR5 and is pci-e x16 2.0 .My mobo has a pci -express x 16 1.1 slot only. i dont wanna buy a new mobo now, only want the new 550 ti. so can you please tell me if and wat will be the compatibility issues i may face and will there be any performance loss by runnin a pci e 2.0 x16 in a pci-e 1.1 x16 slot. And can my mobo support ddr5 card?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about nvidia compatibility gigabyte g31m es2l motherboard
  1. Best answer
    It shouldn't be a problem. The issues are with 2.1 cards and 1.x slots. If there is any problems you can always return the card.

I also noticed your question on GDDR5. It's a completely separate system. Video RAM is different than the RAM you use for your computer. Any motherboard will support a graphics card with lower or higher GDDR# RAM.
  2. fantastik250 said:
    It shouldn't be a problem. The issues are with 2.1 cards and 1.x slots. If there is any problems you can always return the card.

I also noticed your question on GDDR5. It's a completely separate system. Video RAM is different than the RAM you use for your computer. Any motherboard will support a graphics card with lower or higher GDDR# RAM.

thanks for the quick response.. also wanted 2 know how much performance loss will be there in running a pci-e 2.0 x16 card in a pci-e 1.1 x16 slot. also my current 9500 gt is pci-e 2.0 only and runs great.i suppose the 9500gt requires a psu wattage of arnd 450 W. will the 550 ti need more. i guess my psu is arnd 450 -500W.
  3. bogil said:
    thanks for the quick response.. also wanted 2 know how much performance loss will be there in running a pci-e 2.0 x16 card in a pci-e 1.1 x16 slot. also my current 9500 gt is pci-e 2.0 only and runs great.i suppose the 9500gt requires a psu wattage of arnd 450 W. will the 550 ti need more. i guess my psu is arnd 450 -500W.

The GTX 550 Ti is pretty weak, so it won't make much difference whether it's running on PCIe 1.1 or 2.0. A stronger card would run into a bandwidth bottleneck.

PS: The GTX 550 Ti is a pretty poor deal at least in most places (US and UK certainly).
  4. I agree with Sakkura, There won't be a performance loss on the 1.1 slot since the card is not that strong.

In regards to the PSU, between 400-500W is fine.
  5. bogil said:

Anonymous said:
    The GTX 550 Ti is pretty weak, so it won't make much difference whether it's running on PCIe 1.1 or 2.0. A stronger card would run into a bandwidth bottleneck.

PS: The GTX 550 Ti is a pretty poor deal at least in most places (US and UK certainly).

well my current gpu budget is arnd $150 and i am mostly gonnaplay upcumin f1 and nfs titles.Is the gtx 550 ti enough or do u suggest a better gpu within the budget
  6. What is your CPU?

I would suggest a 7770, it has a lower power consumption and performs slightly better than the GTX 550Ti. And is fits your budget, at least in $150 USD. It will help for the upcoming games you will play.
  7. fantastik250 said:
    What is your CPU?

I would suggest a 7770, it has a lower power consumption and performs slightly better than the GTX 550Ti. And is fits your budget, at least in $150 USD. It will help for the upcoming games you will play.

my cpu is a intel core2 duo e7500 @2.93 ghz and mobo is a ga-g31m-es2l. btw any thing else i shud check to determine compatibility between my mobo and gpu or buy it straight and check
  8. Nope, the only thing left is to buy and try it. You can always return it.
  9. Best answer selected by bogil.
  10. I put a GTX 560 into a DG35EC mobo, i.e. G35 chipset which also had a pcie 1.1 slot. it did work, but yeah i did see some bottlenecking.

Anyway, shouldn't be a prob with a 550 Ti.
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Motherboards Gigabyte Nvidia Graphics