6870 Stuttering issue.

hawksprite

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Lately my stuttering issue has been getting worse and I decided it was time to look for a solution.

In almost any game no matter the FPS I have this slight stutter will the game will kind of hiccup constantly. This has been over multiple iterations of graphic drivers.

My current setup:
Radeon HD 6870
AMD Phenom II X4 970
16 GB Dual Channel DDR3
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Windows 8 64-bit (The stuttering happened in Windows 7 as well).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hawksprite

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Youtube videos are fine, it's been happening for so long I honestly don't remember but it might have been when I got the card.

It has happened in so many situations that I can safely say it occurs when nothing else is running. I also currently don't have an AV or any other software and it occurs.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
sounds like a bad card to me .. if you have been playing bf3 lately there servers are messed up so its not just amd cards its also invidia .. lag stuttering what ever you wanna call it .. only thing that helps is to do a repair install on your game through origin..

hawksprite

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Ooh hard drive, I though you were referring to High Definition.

I defrag/cleanup/and just do general maintenance all the time. I'd say about once a week it gets defragged and i'm constantly trying to cut back on clutter.

Ah true. You mentioned you have BF3 right? Check and make sure origin is not running at all. if it is shut it down and try playing a game, see if it helps. Origin was pulling some funny business with me and even with BF3 on low I would get >20fps (I have a 6870 + athlon 2 x3)