Your question

Mobo no on board graphics installing OS

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Graphics
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2012 7:35:11 AM

Hi, I've built a lot of computers but I've never come across this problem before.

I got some new components which included a mobo without on board graphics, I thought I'd simply plug in my old 8800gt and use that to get the OS set up before my new gpu comes. Trouble is I'm still getting no display so can't install my OS. The 8800 works fine, tested in my old system do I'm guessing I need to install the drivers before it will work properly, is that right?

Anyone any ideas how I can get a display to install my OS?

Cheers

More about : mobo board graphics installing

August 27, 2012 7:48:53 AM

whats the rest of your specs?
August 27, 2012 7:49:26 AM

No. There is something wrong. Check the stickies.
Related resources
August 27, 2012 7:50:13 AM

Sorry should have put specs

Phenom II x4 965
16gb ram
Asus M5a78l mobo
Kingston 120gb SSD
August 27, 2012 8:04:54 AM

The card should work fine on that board.

Are you getting no display from the card at all, or does it work at boot-time? Can you get into BIOS perhaps?
August 27, 2012 8:06:47 AM

The system seems to power up ok no beeps and stays on until I turn it off but I'm getting no display, I figure it's either something to do with the card or the pic-e slots.

Been looking through the forums Finneous but can't find much similar to my issue

Plz help!
August 27, 2012 8:08:24 AM

Herr_Koos said:
The card should work fine on that board.

Are you getting no display from the card at all, or does it work at boot-time? Can you get into BIOS perhaps?

Nope nothing completely blank screen nothing at boot up can't see bios to get into em lol

Do you think I should get the cheapest gpu I can find and see if that works?
August 27, 2012 8:17:09 AM

Have you connected the motherboard speaker? That might explain why you are getting no beeps (you should get a single beep upon POST).

And I think Finneous was referring to this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

EDIT
Damn Finneous, you beat me to explaining your own mind, your fast.
August 27, 2012 11:10:57 AM

what the wattage and make of your power supply. it may be under sized for the gpu or it may have a 12v line issue.
August 27, 2012 12:36:42 PM

The power supply was pulled from my old system which was working fine as was the graphics card I don't think it's either of those at least I hope it's not

Cheers for the replies tho
August 27, 2012 12:47:25 PM

Confirm what the PSU specifications are just to be on the safe side.
August 27, 2012 7:32:01 PM

check for three new builder errors. the 4/8 pin eps cables not plugged in. you forgot to use the mb standoffs so the mb is shorted to the mb tray.the i\o shield is shorting out the mb.
August 27, 2012 7:33:54 PM

Woo hoo! I've sorted it! Seemed to be something to do with resetting the jumpers on the mobo

Thanks for all your help everyone it's very much appreciated!
!