Closed Solved

OCZ Z850W Gold+ not working properly: Replace it or not?

Hello everyone

I have issues with my pc shutting off randomly ever since I made it. Sometimes it can go on for a days and somedays it shuts off randomly. I checked the cables multiple times and they are all plugged in snuggly. But it keeps on happening so I google "issues with OCZ Z850W" and it has loose ATX connector pins. So I guess that's the issue and I don't want to take the PSU apart and fix it. What should I do? I know I have a 5 year warranty but I don't want to deal with the same issue again as it seems more people have this problem with this PSU. Suggestions please?

Thanks

Hero1 :bounce:
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about z850w gold working properly replace
  1. hero1 said:
    Hello everyone

I have issues with my pc shutting off randomly ever since I made it. Sometimes it can go on for a days and somedays it shuts off randomly. I checked the cables multiple times and they are all plugged in snuggly. But it keeps on happening so I google "issues with OCZ Z850W" and it has loose ATX connector pins. So I guess that's the issue and I don't want to take the PSU apart and fix it. What should I do? I know I have a 5 year warranty but I don't want to deal with the same issue again as it seems more people have this problem with this PSU. Suggestions please?

Thanks

Hero1 :bounce:

Hi - I think you are doomed to warranty service, if it's a common problem
    with that model, they'll be able to fix it.

Tom
  2. the ocz z850 series is a good powersupply, but even the best powersupplies may fail, id rma it of u continue having issues, and id do it before ur warranty ends, so sooner the better :)
  3. RMA seems the only way to go, and I would ask for a different model, maybe the ZX 850if it doesn't have similar problems. Unless you bought it locally, sometimes a quick exchange works wonders.
  4. I'll RMA for sure. I'll grab a corsair and sell the one they send me. I found out this is the OCZ Z850M even though it says Z series. So I checked their website and it's listed as EOL product and I still have 4 yrs and 7 months. Agh money down the drain. I knew it was too good to cost 109.99 before rebates.
  5. I guess I'm going to get myself a corsair, seasonic or silverstone. Any suggestions? 850-1050 for future proofing.
  6. hero1 said:
    I guess I'm going to get myself a corsair, seasonic or silverstone. Any suggestions? 850-1050 for future proofing.

Please post your system specs - very unlikely you need that much
    power. Even if you CF/SLI usually a quality 750w is more
    than enough.

Tom
  7. Best answer
    Unless you're going to go crazy with video cards and multiple rads, fans and pumps for watercooling then the 850 should be plenty.
    This SeaSonic M12II 850 SS-850AM 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply from newegg for $130 would be great! SLI only, not CrossfireX, like what you got
    - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151108 -
  8. Corsair or seasonic, silverstone is too hit or miss. Also PC Power & Cooling (Ironically owned by OCZ).

hero1 said:
    I don't want to take the PSU apart and fix it.

DON"T even think about it.
  9. toyftw said:
    Please post your system specs - very unlikely you need that much
    power. Even if you CF/SLI usually a quality 750w is more
    than enough.

Tom

My specs are listed under each of my comments. I intend to run SLI/CrossfireX sometime soon and have 9 fans in the case. So would 850 still be good enough? I'm going for seasonic.
  10. hero1 said:
    My specs are listed under each of my comments. I intend to run SLI/CrossfireX sometime soon and have 9 fans in the case. So would 850 still be good enough? I'm going for seasonic.

Hi - sorry I missed the specs.

Yes, 850w is more than sufficient, fans use only about 5w each if that,
    and the SSD's uses less than that.

The Seasonic X-850 is an outstanding unit, obviously the 860 platinum
    also is.
  11. whats ur budget for a 850watt ps and do u need modular?
  12. A good 750W should be plenty for what you are considering and futureproof as well.
  13. iceclock said:
    whats ur budget for a 850watt ps and do u need modular?

Just went to Canada computers and grabbed me a Corsair AX850 fully modular Gold+ for 175 tax included. Got it on sale. Installing it now.
  14. iceclock said:
    whats ur budget for a 850watt ps and do u need modular?

I prefer modular. Money is not an issue. So I grabbed the Corsair AX850 Gold fully modular. I almost grabbed seasonic 860 platinum lol.
  15. Awesome Let us know how it goes!!!
  16. excellent choice, ive bought a few pieces from canada computers, theyre nice and got good pricing, excellent powersupply, cheers mate
  17. So done with that. Took longer than I expected but made such a clean cable management, thanks to CM for awesome cases. The PC is humming along now and I will leave it on for the night and see how it goes. Thanks for your help everyone. I will RMA that OCZ and sell it or might as well throw it away.
  18. iceclock said:
    excellent choice, ive bought a few pieces from canada computers, theyre nice and got good pricing, excellent powersupply, cheers mate

I buy most of my stuff from there and NCIX and some stuff on newegg.ca when they have sales. CC has good people working for it and they try and help as best as they can. Chhers! :D
  19. The cable management between modular and fully modular is like day and night. Talk about clutter free case!
  20. Best answer selected by hero1.
  21. Glad you got it going and looking so sweet. And thank you for the BA! Enjoy you system! :bounce:
  22. enjoy the fully modular cables power supply unit, i know its top quality unit.

:) corsair has a good warranty, and good customer service.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies OCZ Components Product