1920 x 1080 on a Dell U2711

I can only get 1920 x 1080 on my Dell U2711. What do I need to do to get 2560 x 1440 on this monitor? I have the Radeon HD 6900 video card. Please advise.
11 answers Last reply
More about 1920 1080 dell u2711
  1. Have you installed the "drivers" for the monitor?

Does the system recognize the monitor model number?

Are you connecting the computer to the monitor using DVI-D or DisplayPort?
    HDMI and VGA may limit the resolution to 1080P (or 1920 x 1080).
  2. I have downloaded the drivers from the Dell site but that did not help. I have attached the DVI cable that came with my U2713 monitor. I assume that was a DVI-D cable but am not certain. I read where the only way o get the higher resolution is to get a mini display port to dual link DVI adaptor cord but I am uncertain if this would work and how to connect this cable. Please advise.
  3. Well, you know the answer already. Buy a DP -> DVI-D cable and have fun with this great screen :)
  4. For mine I had to use my other DVI port ( I have a 6870 ) one was single link and the other was dual link swapping to the dual link one let me have full resolution. Using the display port is another option.
  5. If your graphics card has a display port, use that to connect the monitor. If your graphics card has two DVI ports, try the other one, because you are obviously using a single channel DVI port at the moment. The cable supports a two channel DVI wit the full resolution. As long as you don't want to connect more then one monitors, you don't need an adapter.
  6. The cable shouldn't make a difference. DVI should be fine. Have you selected the correct resolution in the control panel (assuming windows)?
  7. For resolutions greater than 1920x1080 you need to make sure you are using a dual-link dvi port and cable. Check your video card manual to verify the port is dual link and then use this image to check your cable.

http://www.deltapage.com/product_images/uploaded_images/7801.dvid.gif
  8. It makes a difference. DVI supports up to 1920x1200 resolution only, unless it is a dual-link connection

And yes, use the DisplayPort cable as you monitor should have a DisplayPort input.
  9. JasonAkkerman said:
    For resolutions greater than 1920x1080 you need to make sure you are using a dual-link dvi port and cable. Check your video card manual to verify the port is dual link and then use this image to check your cable.

http://www.deltapage.com/product_images/uploaded_images/7801.dvid.gif

The easiest way is to go with a DisplayPort cable. The monitor has a DP input and his video card should have one as well (mine HD6870 had a DP port).
  10. tenshin111 said:
    The easiest way is to go with a DisplayPort cable. The monitor has a DP input and his video card should have one as well (mine HD6870 had a DP port).

True. However, OP doesn't seem to have a DP cable. As noidea_77 stated, it might be a simple case of using the other port.

It seems easier to check all of the available options before instruction OP to go out and purchase a new cable.
  11. Well guess what after I changed which port on my computer I attached my DVI cable to I gave up last night. I had downloaded the software from Dell again but nothing worked. This morning when I rebooted my computer there was the option for 2560 x 1440. Its a miracle! No really but thanks to everyone for the help and support. You guys rule.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Graphics Cards Dell Monitors Windows 8