shadow priests

I'm thinking about rolling a shadow priest. My main char is a lvl 46
pally. But now, I'm kind of bored with him. Has anyone else had any
experiences playing as a shadow priest?

works swimingly well with discord action bar
discord unit frames. and that is discord group buttons.
they are all great.

Thanks for some great input into the shadow priest. I will definitely
have to check out that mod add-on. I've been using another mod ui at
the moment.

Shadow priests melt faces in PvP.

<davisntran@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about rolling a shadow priest. My main char is a lvl 46
> pally. But now, I'm kind of bored with him. Has anyone else had any
> experiences playing as a shadow priest?

<davisntran@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about rolling a shadow priest. My main char is a lvl 46
> pally. But now, I'm kind of bored with him. Has anyone else had any
> experiences playing as a shadow priest?

PvP is good, but if you plan on becoming a healer for a raid or group in the
end game, you are going to re-roll back to a holy spec as soon as you hit
40. IMHO the only plausible reason to go shadow is to solo until you do
indeed hit 40, then you are going to be a high demand healer.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

<davisntran@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about rolling a shadow priest. My main char is a lvl 46
> pally. But now, I'm kind of bored with him. Has anyone else had any
> experiences playing as a shadow priest?

They're awesome. Have a 60 hunter, 60 shadow priest, 53 mage and several
other classes in the 20's. Shadow Priest is my favorite by a wide margin
(well... mage has gotten alot more fun in the 50's).

The old theory was Shadow to level, then respec to Holy/Disc at endgame. My
advice is ignore that advice. I respecced to Holy/Disc and it ruined the
character for me - far too boring in that build, largely 'cause the Holy
tree absolutely blows. The *only* advantage it had was I went through mana
slower, meaning less drinking. In MC boss fights I do go out of mana prior
to what would be ideal, but so be it. The versitility of a shadow build is
too much to sacrifice for being more effective the 4 or 5 MC boss fights I
take on a week.

The trick is you need to build two sets of equipment - one for solo/Shadow
(typically farming or questing), one that focuses on +healing gear when
grouping. On the plus side, +healing gear is real easy to find in instances
and you almost never face any competition when it drops. My group gear
combines for +268 healing at this point, which makes me easily as effective
a healer as a moderately equipped Disc/Holy priest. All that equipment is
from UBRS, Strat and Scholo runs - no MC stuff required to hit that. I
haven't even touched DM which is just littered with +healing gear. 4 or 5
Dire Maul runs should get me to the +350 healing easy. For the lower level
instances (anything prior to Sunken Temple) you don't even need to worry
about +healing gear - you've got plenty of healing even without talents.

Yesterday I was the sole healer on a 9-man Strat run - we had a grand total
of four deaths in the run (2 of which occurred because I went out of mana -
a deficency of the Shadow build, two cause the Rogues decided to see how
much damage they could do instead of letting the tank keep aggro), no wipes.
After it was over I switched out to my Shadow gear and farmed Hearthglen -
soloing 56 and 57 Elites. Killed 60 or so and never came close to dieing.
I don't think there's another class out there that can be SO effective at
soloing (my single-target DPS can match a Mage) and so important and
in-demand within a group run.

Only trick with Shadow Priests.... they're a little slower leveling prior to
40. Once you hit 40 and get Shadowform it's all over - you breeze your way
to 60. And get the Group Buttons add-on and spend an hour figuring out how
to use/configure it. You'll be an infinitely better healer with it than
without it.

snip
>. And get the Group Buttons add-on and spend an hour figuring out how
> to use/configure it. You'll be an infinitely better healer with it than
> without it.

What add on are you referring to ?
A search for Group Buttons wasn't revealing ).

thanks

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

>>. And get the Group Buttons add-on and spend an hour figuring out how
>> to use/configure it. You'll be an infinitely better healer with it than
>> without it.
>>
> What add on are you referring to ?
> A search for Group Buttons wasn't revealing ).
>
> thanks

http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=746

It's really a little tricky to setup and configure the way you want, but
once you get it going it's a godsend.

mnthacker wrote:
> PvP is good, but if you plan on becoming a healer for a raid or group in the
> end game, you are going to re-roll back to a holy spec as soon as you hit
> 40. IMHO the only plausible reason to go shadow is to solo until you do
> indeed hit 40, then you are going to be a high demand healer.

Is that based on genuine experience, or is it World of Theorycraft?

Because everything I've heard suggests that the different between a
shadow priest and a holy priest, for healing, is very small compared to
the gap between a bad priest and a good priest.

Yes, if you respec from shadow, you'll heal better, but if you're any
good, you'll do fine with your shadow spec.

Cheers!
David...

"Alucard" <vampyrealucardnospam@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> What if i just get that one ability that gives you four times the mana
> when
> healing?! also yes the 15 second shield is an awesome holy ability. I wish
> my
> shadow priest could use that!!!

Wow - a sarcasm detector - THAT'S a useful invention....

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:18:56 GMT, "steve" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>The old theory was Shadow to level, then respec to Holy/Disc at endgame. My
>advice is ignore that advice. I respecced to Holy/Disc and it ruined the
>character for me - far too boring in that build, largely 'cause the Holy
>tree absolutely blows. The *only* advantage it had was I went through mana
>slower, meaning less drinking. In MC boss fights I do go out of mana prior
>to what would be ideal, but so be it. The versitility of a shadow build is
>too much to sacrifice for being more effective the 4 or 5 MC boss fights I
>take on a week.

/signed
/agree

I was shadow from 1-60 (ok, 10-60 - hard to spec before that :p), and
respecced after a few runs of Molten Core because I hoped it would
help. Personally I have a hard time telling the difference, except
that I can hardly solo anymore - my priest has become a group only
character, and I am seriously thinking of respeccing back to shadow to
make it possible to solo again...

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

steve wrote:
> After it was over I switched out to my Shadow gear and farmed Hearthglen -
> soloing 56 and 57 Elites. Killed 60 or so and never came close to dieing.
> I don't think there's another class out there that can be SO effective at
> soloing (my single-target DPS can match a Mage) and so important and
> in-demand within a group run.

I can give you an example:

Bear/Innervate druids. We're the 2nd best tanks and 2nd best healers
(you Shadow Priests are 3rd) in the game all rolled in one.

Btw, when you can solo 59-60 elites, then come talk to me. Level 56-57
elites are cream puffs.

Regards,
Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (40) on Stormrage

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
> Paladins are indeed very good soloers, but simply cannot compare to a
> druid. Yes, you could possibly solo a stone guardian in Un'goro (in 20
> minutes that is..), but I can do it while killing a tyrant devilsaur *at
> the same time*. These are the fearing ones, btw.

....with one hand tied behind his back! :)

Yeah, the Stone Guardians are easier than their level. The level 58
Elite ziggaraut defenders in EP are much, much tougher.

> Also, a restoration druid is almost always preferred as the healer in
> 5-man instances and up to UBRS (bar scholo, where shackle owns), since
> he can take much more beating than an aggroed priest.

Shackle is a crutch. If your tank has got decent gear, a Druid can heal
Scholo fine. I have.

> Druids can also tank any instance up to Strat, but not Baron (except
> with a VERY good group).

I've done it several times. Baron's tough, but hardly impossible. With
good gear and a Greater Shadow Prot pot, he's moderately easy. Stick a
Pally on AoE detail with a Mage and your golden. Btw, I've done MT on
UBRS and DM West, too. Quite simply, a Druid can MT anything, given the
chance. My guild's convinced that I could MT Onyxia. At some point, I'd
like to prove them right.

> The only place where a Druid has a limited use
> is MC, where they are demoted to priest innervators and decursers, since
> their heals are not fast enough for the insane dmg dealt to tanks.

Oh, bullshit. Quit talking out your ass. I run MC 3-4 times a week. I
am ALWAYS in the top 5 healers and I can count on one hand the number
of times I've innervated a priest in MC.

With at least 10 healers focussing one on guy, there are two reasons
why a tank would get melted in MC. One, all of your healers are asleep
at the wheel. Two, he's an idiot that's running around in Valor
garbage. The MT needs a lot of Defense, not goofy set bonuses.

> However, what you and the previous poster both have wrong is the
> druids/paladins ability to kill as fast as a shadow priest.

Kill as fast, no. Kill more reliably, yes.

> Yes, the
> shadow is more fragile than us druids or you palas but can grind about
> 10 times faster, due to vastly superior dps. True, the bear can take 3
> of the scarlets at once, but by the time they are dead, the priest next
> to you will have soloed 6 single ones. It is sad, but it is true.

I'd like to see a shadow priest try to solo six Scarlets in the time I
grind three. I really would. The first time one runs in fear and brings
in reinforcements, he'll be doing the walk of shame. Never mind that
priests have no way to regenerate mana. They'll be drinking after every
other one, at best.

> PS: This was not Paladin bashing.

No, but it sounded a lot like druid bashing. Tell you what, stop
putting limits on our class. I've personally broken through every one
you've listed. I'm quite certain that I'm far from alone in having done
so.

Noal

--
Dharzhak - Night Elf Druid (60) on Stormrage
Kemwer - Tauren Warrior (40) on Stormrage

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:18:56 GMT, steve <anon@anon.com> wrote:
> And get the Group Buttons add-on and spend an hour figuring out how
> to use/configure it. You'll be an infinitely better healer with it than
> without it.

I second the reccommendation for Group Buttons - but I must admit that
I've not used it much since I discovered the Emergency Monitor feature
of CTRaidAssist - this puts up to 5 health bars in the middle of your
screen (but only when health is below a certain threshold), with the
most damaged person at the top.

So to heal effectively, just click the top-most bar to target that
person, then hit renew/flash heal/etc (I have renew, flash heal, and
sheild assigned to mouse buttons to make this even easier). Even
better is it shows people in other groups if you're in a raid -
healing a whole raid has never been so easy!

So, whilst it's indispensible for a raid group, it's also very very
useful in an ordinary party - try it out and see.

The 3 add-ons my priest couldn't live without (in order):
CTRaidAssist
Decursive
Group Buttons

> I'm thinking about rolling a shadow priest. My main char is a lvl 46
> pally. But now, I'm kind of bored with him. Has anyone else had any
> experiences playing as a shadow priest?

I played a Hunter to 60 then rolled a Priest purely because our guild
doesn't have a high level dedicated healer. I absolutely love my Priest and
only ever bring the Hunter out if we need an offtank.

--
Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138

mnthacker wrote:
>>> "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message

<snip!>

> Well first of all, he chose to flame first. But this isn't a flame
> contest.

Quick tip - if you're going to falsely accuse someone of flaming, it's
not such a good idea to leave their original post intact, so everyone
can see that it didn't contain any flames.

> I find his and your reasoning ridiculous.

Reasoning? What reasoning? I didn't offer any "reasoning", I merely
mentioned what I had HEARD SAID by other people.

> Why on earth would you want to be shadow specced in the end game?
> There is no reason for any talents you would have in MC. If you're a
> priest, you are buffing, healing, and rezzing. If you are a dorf
> priest you're buffing, healing, rezzing, and fear warding. Pure and
> simple. Once you hit high end content you are never going to be
> wanted for anything but. It's not being mean, it's the simple fact
> of the matter, a Priest heals and buffs not casts and kills.
>
> What are you going to solo at level 60 for that matter as a priest?
> And I will not discuss pvp, as it bears no meaning to me.

Well there you go. If you'd clarified from the start that you're one of
the "not interested in PvP" minority, I would have agreed with you that
there's no point being shadow specced for the endgame.

But for most WoW players, the endgame includes PvP, and a lot of priest
players very much enjoy "melting faces" in PvP. And they find that high
end PvE raiding doesn't actually demand that that avenue of pleasure be
closed off to them.

Cheers!
David...

Zil wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:18:56 GMT, steve <anon@anon.com> wrote:
>
> The 3 add-ons my priest couldn't live without (in order):
> CTRaidAssist
> Decursive
> Group Buttons

BTW, the new CTRA includes Decursive

Brian wrote:
> I'm also not getting killing blows fast enough,
> so I'm not in Spirit Tap enough.

Whereas a druid actually gets stronger as the fight goes on. Longer
fights play to our strengths more than other classes.

> But I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that a shadow priest can steamroll
> through, say, the Winterfall furbolgs like they weren't even there.

Sure. Most of them are pretty soft. I grind that area for Frostsaber
Trainer faction.

> And a druid can't kill those that much faster than
> they can kill the elites.

Not true. I can kill one in 25-45 seconds, depending on how the crits
go. However, I'm usually doing 2-3 of them at a time and the more I
have beating on me at once, the faster I can kill each of them as they
soften themselves up from Thorns damage and cause me to generate rage
faster. I *may* pop up and self heal if I'm taking 3 or more at once.
Usually popping Regeneration about halfway through the 2nd mob is
enough.

Grinding elites usually take at least 1-2 minutes each. It's like
watching paint dry. The most exciting part is when I'm grinding 59+
Elites and I pop up to self heal and pop back down and continue
Mauling. Hoo, boy. That's a jolt of energy there. :p

Regards,
Noal

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Noal McDonald" <dharzhak@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> steve wrote:
>> After it was over I switched out to my Shadow gear and farmed
>> Hearthglen -
>> soloing 56 and 57 Elites. Killed 60 or so and never came close to
>> dieing.
>> I don't think there's another class out there that can be SO effective at
>> soloing (my single-target DPS can match a Mage) and so important and
>> in-demand within a group run.
>
> I can give you an example:
>
> Bear/Innervate druids. We're the 2nd best tanks and 2nd best healers
> (you Shadow Priests are 3rd) in the game all rolled in one.

Problem is you need a really good group to utilize a 2nd-best-tank-class as
your tank. Some random pickup group with a druid tanking is a recipe for
disaster.

Same thing with the healing. I've had a druid as the sole healer in groups
(while playing on an alt) and once they have to start chain healing
DPS-crazy rogues and mages they pull aggro and have no way to drop aggro,
end up swapping forms or chain healing themselves, and on and on. I've been
on groups with a druid as the only healer and the group let the warrior hold
aggro, played sensibly, etc. and everything went just time.

I've no doubt a good Druid can handle tanking and main healing duties, but
only with a good group - which is a real limiting factor in WoW.
Guild-only? Sure. Pickup group - really depends. A skilled warrior can
make a bad pickup group function. A skilled priest can make a bad pickup
group function. A skilled druid is gonna be in trouble in a bad pickup
group.

> Btw, when you can solo 59-60 elites, then come talk to me. Level 56-57
> elites are cream puffs.

errr... I can solo just about anything. Some elites are different than
other elites, so I'm not gonna make a blanket statement I can solo
everything without a problem. The demons in south Winterspring are a nasty
bunch for instance - never been too successful soloing there. But with big
DPS, PW:Shield, mana burn, silence, fear, vampiric embrace and ability to
drop back to the whole spectrum of healing if need be, I'm not in awe of the
druid talents.

I grind the elites I do because a) it's mana efficient. I average a kill
every 45 seconds including the drinking time after each two kills and b)
they have the top world drops already. There's no reason to be grinding lvl
59 and 60 elites unless it's for some very specific item (mature sinew or
some other odd quest need).

I'm sure druids are cool. I leveled one to about 18 or so but found the
leveling speed too slow for my tastes. Perhaps it picks up later on.
Regardless, if you like to run instances whenver you want and solo truly
efficiently (my play style, others certainly have different preferences) I'd
say Shadow Priest beats any druid build out there. There's no druid getting
the constant invites to instances from strangers that I am and there's no
druid that can take out 75-80 Hearthglen elites an hour.

On the plus side, if the new instance (Zul Farab or whatever) is considered
outdoor, which it looks like it will be, druid will see a big boost in party
popularity as they can actually use their crowd control for once. And
druids get equipped alot faster 'cause there's less of them and no warlocks
and mages snagging your items :)

"steve" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

> Problem is you need a really good group to utilize a 2nd-best-tank-class as
> your tank. Some random pickup group with a druid tanking is a recipe for
> disaster.

Can't second this. Not what you basically say, but the conclusion.

First:
A bad working group is a PITA when tanking. You play horde? Ever
tried to hold aggro against an earthshock spamming shaman? Well, you
can, but then you have to spend 95% of your time on the spammed mob.
A mage that AoEs a group of elites will draw more aggro than a tank
can get back. A druid can't, neither can a warrior. Same for healing:
A healer that has to heal mages, rogues or shamen will _waste_ his
mana and run oom soon. If you have a challenging pull and the
healer has to spend a lot of mana for healing casters or rogues (or
basically everything but the tank), he will run oom too soon and
may get aggro. Again, no matter whether it's a druid or a priest.

Second:
Good druid > bad priest as healer.
Good druid > bad warrior as tank.

A good druid can heal everything that's supposed to be healed by
one person. A good druid can tank everything that's supposed to
be tanked by one person. If a good druid isn't enough to heal or
tank something, it would be impossible - or at least very close
to - for a warrior or a priest too.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Frank E wrote:
> Hmm, if you're bringing up crits to hold agro, I think you've already
> lost that part of the debate. <g>

Naah. I realise we're the poor man's tank. We're just not as poor as
the Paladins. :) I have done MT on everything short of Onyxia and MC,
including 5 man Baron. Having a 19% crit rate isn't bad. I'd like to
get it higher and have plans to do so.

> Unless we're talking about trivial mobs, I've never found a way to
> hold just heal agro against say 4 elites without pulling out all my
> warrior's tricks. There's just too much damage coming in that has to
> be healed. It's actually working out better for our group to let my
> warrior handle 3 while everyone else concentrates on the 4th.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Let the MA peel it and everyone
melt while you dance with the others. Then, they come back and peel
another one and you dance with the remaining 2. That's how it's
supposed to work.

> Do druids ever get a true AoE taunt or just their version of
> demoralizing shout?

No, we get both. We have Challenging Roar. Does the exact same thing as
Challenging Shout. Same cooldown and everything. Supposedly, taunts
resets aggro, so I'm careful to not spam it as a crutch. I certainly
don't use it as a tool to maintain aggro, which is the biggest mistake
I see made.

> The warrior always has the option to pop out of defensive and hit
> mocking blow, it's a longer cooldown than taunt but it's also much
> better when it lands since it locks the target on your for 5(?)
> seconds. If that fails, you have a true AoE taunt (on a 10 minute
> cooldown though). ... but usually revenge will light up somewhere in
> there and that can pretty much overcome any heal agro.

I loved tanking as a Druid so much that I rolled a Warrior. So I do
have some basis for personal comparison. If I lose aggro on a mob after
I've taunted it, I'll hit 'em with a 5 second stun, which gives me
plenty of time to get their attention. I try to reserve the AoE taunt
for when multiple Elites have strayed.

The one thing that I find irritating with a Warrior is that you have so
*many* tools in various stances that most of them feel like they go to
waste and it doesn't occur to me to use something that would be
helpful...Mocking Blow, for example. Granted, I'm only level 40, so I'm
sure it'll improve with time. The thing I like about tanking as a bear
is that it's very simple. I have one bar of attacks to use. When I'm
frantically trying to control a situation, I'm not fighting extra
keystrokes and a dizzying array of tools. Taunt it. Discouraging Roar
it. Faerie Fire it. Stun it. Maul it. Swipe it and two of its closest
friends. Maul it. Swipe it and.... You get the idea.

> If that regen has the same taunt as a real heal, that might well be
> what I'm missing. I can see where hitting that early in a bad fight
> (before your healer heals you) could do an excellent job of locking
> the mobs on you.

Yeah, it does a pretty good job.

> I haven't had many chances to group with a tanking druid so I'll admit
> that I might be wrong about them. Maybe the few I grouped with just
> didn't know their job very well, it's hard enough to find a good
> tanking warrior, which was the main reason I started one.

Very, very true. I've been on runs where the Warrior asked me to be the
MT because it was obvious I was better at it. For a simple job (keep
mobs beating on you and protect the healers/casters) it's a LOT of hard
work. It takes the proper gear and a lot of player skill. I don't doubt
that you've experienced some druids that thought they were some divine
gift to the tanking world and couldn't protect the clothies to safe his
life. I've experienced it with warriors, too. The factor that really
counts is that a Druid has to work harder at it than a warrior. Lack of
skill will become obivous really quickly.

> I always called that the 'death loop' but that was from the
> perspective of our alliance group that had a druid main healing up to
> 60 and a paladin tanking. Once the druid went into self-heal mode, we
> usually couldn't grab agro back before it was too late.

That's a limitation of the Paladin, not the Druid. A good warrior will
pull them off of me as soon as they see the help message. If that
doesn't happen, I'll run past the warrior, self healing only what's
necessary, hoping he can catch them on the way past. A true tank such
as a warrior or a Druid bear have the taunts to handle that situation.
A paladin really doesn't.

> They have more ways to wipe a group than any other class. ... and as
> you mentioned, the fact that they can easily solo up to 60 doesn't
> help matters. The good hunters do have a lot of ways to help a group
> and I love grouping with hunters that I know and trust.

As do, I. A player that knows his role within the group and plays it
well is fun to run with. I've made a habit of putting good hunters on
my friends list so I know who to go look for when I have a spot to
fill.

> The fact that anyone can solo to 60 doesn't help matters when it comes
> to finding competent groups in WoW. It's pretty easy to spot the
> difference between someone who grew up soloing or grouping in
> instances.

Absolutely agreed.

Regards,
Noal

--

Urbin wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:20:15 +0200, Christian Stauffer <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> > "Frank E" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 23 Aug 2005 09:40:50 -0700, "Noal McDonald" <dharzhak@my-deja.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> Now you got my attention :)
>
> Being a hunter myself I do tend to solo as much as I can (because I can solo
> a lot - one of the reasons I like my hunter so much). And as the hunter is
> my main, I have next to no experience grouping as another class.
>
> When in a group, I try to communicate with my group members on what to do
> and how, but I am not sure if there are specifics you were aiming for (that
> hunters don't do).
>
> My main problem in instances when grouped is that, if my pet is on a mob and
> the mob flees, my pet follows it and when returning pulls loads of other
> mobs. I try to keep an eye on my pet's target and use 'stunning shot' to
> stop it which usually works like a charm but every once in a while I do
> miss the moment... *wipe*

I use the SmartPet add-on which has a function to stop your pet
chasing. I don't actually use that feature but it's there. I tend to
just hit my hot key to put it into passive mode and then it comes
running back.

> I can of course put away my pet but then I'd loose a considerable amount of
> dps, plus I found that I tend to draw away mobs from the other group members
> when shooting at them. Don't know if this is due to bad tanking or a mistake
> of my own.
>
> My hunter has a Markmanship/Survival build (34/5) so I'm much better at
> distance dps than at melee dps.
>
> What I am getting down to is: What do 'good group hunters' do that makes you
> trust them because I would sure like to improve in my skills.

I have a couple of links for advice for Hunters in the two areas that
they seem weak: PvP and Instances. I'll see if I can find them
tonight and post them. I've read them and they seemed to be good
guides but I don't PvP or group much so I've not had chance to try them
out.

steve.kaye

On 23 Aug 2005 13:02:21 -0700, "Noal McDonald" <dharzhak@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>Frank E wrote:
>> Hmm, if you're bringing up crits to hold agro, I think you've already
>> lost that part of the debate. <g>
>
>Naah. I realise we're the poor man's tank. We're just not as poor as
>the Paladins. :)

Having had a Paladin as a main tank for my rogue up to lvl 60, I
really wish they'd get a bit of help in that department. One taunt
would turn them into viable tanks without bringing them close enough
to druids and warriors to threaten them.

>I have done MT on everything short of Onyxia and MC,
>including 5 man Baron. Having a 19% crit rate isn't bad. I'd like to
>get it higher and have plans to do so.

My point was that crit rate really doesn't have anything to do with
tanking. If you're counting on the extra DPS from crits to hold agro,
especially as a druid where your base DPS in bear form is less than
spectacular (to put it mildly :p), you're in trouble.

>> Do druids ever get a true AoE taunt or just their version of
>> demoralizing shout?
>
>No, we get both. We have Challenging Roar. Does the exact same thing as
>Challenging Shout. Same cooldown and everything. Supposedly, taunts
>resets aggro, so I'm careful to not spam it as a crutch. I certainly
>don't use it as a tool to maintain aggro, which is the biggest mistake
>I see made.

The hardest thing for me to learn with Taunt was that it isn't of much
use unless you have rage built up. If you taunt a mob and can't follow
it up with a high agro attack, you'll loose it again after 1 second.
So often you fight to fight your natural reaction to hit taunt as soon
as a mob turns away from you.

>> I haven't had many chances to group with a tanking druid so I'll admit
>> that I might be wrong about them. Maybe the few I grouped with just
>> didn't know their job very well, it's hard enough to find a good
>> tanking warrior, which was the main reason I started one.
>
>Very, very true. I've been on runs where the Warrior asked me to be the
>MT because it was obvious I was better at it. For a simple job (keep
>mobs beating on you and protect the healers/casters) it's a LOT of hard
>work.

Admittedly, I haven't played a real healer past 30th lvl but I'm
starting to think that instance tanking is the most challenging role
in WoW.

>> I always called that the 'death loop' but that was from the
>> perspective of our alliance group that had a druid main healing up to
>> 60 and a paladin tanking. Once the druid went into self-heal mode, we
>> usually couldn't grab agro back before it was too late.
>
>That's a limitation of the Paladin, not the Druid. A good warrior will
>pull them off of me as soon as they see the help message.

True, my warrior also has a resto druid as main healer and it's a lot
easier. Damage taken for the healer is usually around 5% of the total.
Paladins seriously need a form of snap agro. ... although they have
excellent single target agro. My rogue, as a dps-backstab build, never
needs to feint with our paladin tanking a boss mob. I never really had
to use feint on my way up to 60.

Rgds, Frank

Frank E wrote:
> My point was that crit rate really doesn't have anything to do with
> tanking. If you're counting on the extra DPS from crits to hold agro,
> especially as a druid where your base DPS in bear form is less than
> spectacular (to put it mildly :p), you're in trouble.

No, you're missing the point of crit rate for a tank. I don't care
about DPS. Druids are on the low end of the totem pole for that.

Crits generate threat. Additional threat keeps them pounding on you and
not somebody else. In my Main Tank gear, I value Dodge, High Armor,
Stamina and Crit, in that order. In my Main Assist/Solo Gear, I value
crit more highly as I have to generate a lot more threat to hold it in
place.

> The hardest thing for me to learn with Taunt was that it isn't of much
> use unless you have rage built up. If you taunt a mob and can't follow
> it up with a high agro attack, you'll loose it again after 1 second.
> So often you fight to fight your natural reaction to hit taunt as soon
> as a mob turns away from you.

I can agree with that. Failing that, if I've got Bash (5 second stun)
available, that'll do just as well.

> Admittedly, I haven't played a real healer past 30th lvl but I'm
> starting to think that instance tanking is the most challenging role
> in WoW.

With tools to assist healers like CastParty and CT Raid, you betcha.
Tanking's FAR more work than clicking on health bars.

> True, my warrior also has a resto druid as main healer and it's a lot
> easier. Damage taken for the healer is usually around 5% of the total.
> Paladins seriously need a form of snap agro. ... although they have
> excellent single target agro.

I'm not sure we really need them to. People are just starting to wake
up to how good druid tanks can be. The ability to wear plate is NOT the
same as the ability to tank. Paladins that learn to play to the
strengths of their class and not try to turn them into something
they're not are great. They're very good at doing MA duty. They can be
very capable (and durable) main healers. They can also do some *wicked*
DPS if they gear and spec for it. While they really don't have the
tools to be MT, they've got plenty enough to keep them in demand.

Regards,
Noal

"Frank E" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 Aug 2005 09:40:50 -0700, "Noal McDonald" <dharzhak@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Not entirely true. A druid can hold aggro on multiple targets *if* they
>>have enough +Crit gear and they're experienced at it and *if* the party
>>follows the MA and peels & nukes one mob at a time as they're supposed
>>to.
>
> Hmm, if you're bringing up crits to hold agro, I think you've already
> lost that part of the debate. <g>

Misunderstanding: Noals build (and mine :eek:) gives us additional rage
when landing crits, so +Crit IS important. Crit = Rage, Rage = special
abilities, special abilities = aggro.

> Unless we're talking about trivial mobs, I've never found a way to
> hold just heal agro against say 4 elites without pulling out all my
> warrior's tricks.

I can tell you how I do this:
- Pull in whatever way
- Set off a demo roar (initial aggro)
- (From now on, every mob that hits you generates aggro because of
thorns)
- Enrage (-> additional rage)
- Swipe (-> like cleave)
- Switch targets and debuff them with fairie fire
- Use swipe as often as you got enough rage

Holding aggro against the healer is not a problem in my experience.
The only time mobs run for the healer, it's my fault because I
didn't do anything with that mob.

> There's just too much damage coming in that has to
> be healed.

Lots of AC (>8k unbuffed), lots of +Defense (376) help to reduce
the incoming damage (and crits). Lots of stamina means the healer
can heal later.

> It's actually working out better for our group to let my
> warrior handle 3 while everyone else concentrates on the 4th.

You should be able to hold aggro against the damage dealers for
1 mob and hold aggro against the healer on 3 others.
However, the thorns buff helps a LOT for this.

> Do druids ever get a true AoE taunt or just their version of
> demoralizing shout?

We have the same AoE taunt as warriors.

> If that regen has the same taunt as a real heal, that might well be
> what I'm missing. I can see where hitting that early in a bad fight
> (before your healer heals you) could do an excellent job of locking
> the mobs on you.

Exactly. I use it for boss fights, or to enlarge the time until someone
has to heal me in a bad pull.

> I haven't had many chances to group with a tanking druid so I'll admit
> that I might be wrong about them. Maybe the few I grouped with just
> didn't know their job very well, it's hard enough to find a good
> tanking warrior, which was the main reason I started one.

:eek:)

> I always called that the 'death loop' but that was from the
> perspective of our alliance group that had a druid main healing up to
> 60 and a paladin tanking. Once the druid went into self-heal mode, we
> usually couldn't grab agro back before it was too late.

That's why I don't heal my self. Never. Well, almost :eek:) Healing myself
will make it even worse.

>>The biggest caveat is Hunters. I think they do more to screw up groups
>>and raids than any other class.
>
> They have more ways to wipe a group than any other class. ... and as
> you mentioned, the fact that they can easily solo up to 60 doesn't
> help matters. The good hunters do have a lot of ways to help a group
> and I love grouping with hunters that I know and trust.

Same here. My experience with hunters is quite good so far. But what
I have to second is that you feel they aren't really used to grouping.
Not too much communication, they "solo" the mobs (send the pet for
a mob that's not getting too much attention and kill it on their own).

>>That is not to say that I've not been in groups that were horrible that
>>had nothing to do with the hunter.
>
> The fact that anyone can solo to 60 doesn't help matters when it comes
> to finding competent groups in WoW. It's pretty easy to spot the
> difference between someone who grew up soloing or grouping in
> instances.

Agreed.

Chris