Sign in with
Your question

Multiple issues regarding recent upgrade

Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2012 11:31:31 AM

Hi, I built a low budget computer around 2 years ago, but ive got to the point where i am sick of it, since i don't have enough money to go for a full upgrade right now i decided to buy a few "future-proof" components, namely the motherboard, ram and ssd. All of the parts were purchased together and installed around a week ago, and now I've run into a few problems, below i have listed my previous specs and the components i have recently installed.

Previous Components:
Mobo: Asrock Alive NF7G-Glan
CPU: AMD Athon ii x2 240 (@ stock 2.8ghz)
Ram: 6GB crucial dddr2 memory
GPU: AMD Radeon 5450
PSU: Cit 500w Power supply (Pentium 500u)
Boot Drive: Maxtor 230gb 5400rpm sata 2 hard drive
Data Drive: 1tb 7200RPM SATA 2 Hard drive (Removed form external Hard drive housing)

Components Added:
Mobo: Asrock 990FX Extreme3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb Kit DDR3 1600Mhz
SSD: Samung 830 128gb SATA 3 Solid state drive (using as current boot drive, other drives still in use.)

The problems:
1) I Installed the 2 ram sticks in dual channel mode, the sticks are clocked @ 1600mhz, but when i enter the bios, it shows that the sticks are clocked at 800mhz, when i change this to 1600 mhz the computer wont even reach the bios screen, and after 3 unsuccessful boots returns to the original settings, the most i can do is overclock it via bios to 920mhz, is this normal? if not how do i fix it?

2) When i first installed the motherboard, the bios screen would be a quick flash, but on my second boot, after installing windows 7 updates, drivers for all components and software the bios screen takes around 20 seconds where previously it would have taken 3 at most, when when i change the setting within the bios to disable "full-screen logo" the text hangs after displaying american megatrends for about 15 seconds before continuing. How can i speed this up (only bios setting i have changed is ide to ahci, boot order for ssd to go first, ram oc'd to 920mhz, cpu oc'd to 3.2ghz)

3)When i first installed the ssd i was blown away by the responsiveness of my machine, but after the second boot after installing updates, drivers, software etc. it felt a little more sluggish even though it is still much faster than my old hdd, the samsung magician software claims the read speeds had increased for 480 mb/s to 500 mb/s and reads from 280 mb/s to 320 mb/s. even booting took 2-3 seconds longer on an average, is this normal? if not please tell me how i can fix this.

thanks for the help in advance :)  , and sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, as i didnt know where else to put it.

August 27, 2012 5:43:53 PM

Have you installed chipset drivers?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 6:04:57 PM

projectlll said:
Hi, I built a low budget computer around 2 years ago, but ive got to the point where i am sick of it, since i don't have enough money to go for a full upgrade right now i decided to buy a few "future-proof" components, namely the motherboard, ram and ssd. All of the parts were purchased together and installed around a week ago, and now I've run into a few problems, below i have listed my previous specs and the components i have recently installed.

Previous Components:
Mobo: Asrock Alive NF7G-Glan
CPU: AMD Athon ii x2 240 (@ stock 2.8ghz)
Ram: 6GB crucial dddr2 memory
GPU: AMD Radeon 5450
PSU: Cit 500w Power supply (Pentium 500u)
Boot Drive: Maxtor 230gb 5400rpm sata 2 hard drive
Data Drive: 1tb 7200RPM SATA 2 Hard drive (Removed form external Hard drive housing)

Components Added:
Mobo: Asrock 990FX Extreme3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb Kit DDR3 1600Mhz
SSD: Samung 830 128gb SATA 3 Solid state drive (using as current boot drive, other drives still in use.)

The problems:
1) I Installed the 2 ram sticks in dual channel mode, the sticks are clocked @ 1600mhz, but when i enter the bios, it shows that the sticks are clocked at 800mhz, when i change this to 1600 mhz the computer wont even reach the bios screen, and after 3 unsuccessful boots returns to the original settings, the most i can do is overclock it via bios to 920mhz, is this normal? if not how do i fix it?

2) When i first installed the motherboard, the bios screen would be a quick flash, but on my second boot, after installing windows 7 updates, drivers for all components and software the bios screen takes around 20 seconds where previously it would have taken 3 at most, when when i change the setting within the bios to disable "full-screen logo" the text hangs after displaying american megatrends for about 15 seconds before continuing. How can i speed this up (only bios setting i have changed is ide to ahci, boot order for ssd to go first, ram oc'd to 920mhz, cpu oc'd to 3.2ghz)

3)When i first installed the ssd i was blown away by the responsiveness of my machine, but after the second boot after installing updates, drivers, software etc. it felt a little more sluggish even though it is still much faster than my old hdd, the samsung magician software claims the read speeds had increased for 480 mb/s to 500 mb/s and reads from 280 mb/s to 320 mb/s. even booting took 2-3 seconds longer on an average, is this normal? if not please tell me how i can fix this.

thanks for the help in advance :)  , and sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, as i didnt know where else to put it.

1) Yes, 800 MHz DDR (DOUBLE Data Rate) equals 1600 MHz effective ;)  You were trying to OC it to DDR 3200 :o 

2) This might be related to your overclocking efforts, I recommend you revert your BIOS to factory settings.

3) I think you're being a bit OCD.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 27, 2012 7:21:17 PM

in the advace mode of the bios under boot screen menu. see if they put a delay to hit f1 to go into the bios or stop on error. on my asus mb it 15 sec is the stock delay. i change it on my bios to 1 sec.
August 27, 2012 10:03:36 PM

sorry for the late reply, but i have installed the latest chipset drivers, the bios screen dealy is @ 1 second at the momment. Thanks for explaining the dual channel ram situation and maybe i am being abit ocd.
!