Benches are Up - A64 Dual Channel Vs. P4

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=46289,00.asp" target="_new">Click</A>

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." - Sarah Chambers

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
Correct me if I am mistaken, but this article does not even mention the A64. It's the Opteron 144 that is tested, not A64.

Wanted: Large breasted live-in housekeeper. Must be a good cook, organized, and willing to pick up after me.

eden

Champion
The multitasking results are amazing......for the P4.

HT is displayed in its glory here.

On the topic though, it is clear Athlon 64 at 2.4GHZ would be a gaming whore. (Yes I said that) Everyone will get it for that mainly. It will rock, no doubt.

But, some tests show an unusually huge advantage in favor of P4, like the WMP 9 encoding, and I must say that is not gonna be good. If AMD can't ever possibly reclaim some benchmark, it's not funny. Like SysMark. Also, the multitasking benches demonstrate that AMD will soon issue a public statement of how glad they are to use HT, a technology "so unique their processors are using them uniquely". :lol:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
SSE2 is a major factor in WMP9.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
I actually don't think so. The AthlonXP seems to pull ahead of the Opteron in WMP9 encoding despite the Opteron having SSE2. I suspect WMP9 uses mostly single-precision SSE instructions and the P4's higher clockspeed is pulling it ahead.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok, what the crap? Why is every site doing this test just randomly out of RAM for the P4 and Athlon systems?

And benchmarks aside, i find it funny that they say this:

"The total price for the Opteron-based system – if you could actually buy a 144, was $1990 (if we assume Opteron 244 pricing, which is slightly more), compared to $1840 for the P4-based system, and $1505 for the Athlon one. Note that this is with 1GB of RAM on all systems and a pair of SATA drives for a RAID array."

Well, i'm glad the P4 and Athlon systems were tested with the 1 GB of RAM so that the benchmarks would correspond with the pricing. Oh WAIT....

Ok, griping aside...

I think this is very interesting and a MUCH better look at the future A64. When the Opteron beats the P4 in a test, it barely does it. When the P4 typically beats the Opteron, it stomps it (what happend to the POV-RAY test?). Obviously, this is to be expected (as the author constantly points out, the P4 has a huge advantage due to more Mhz/Ghz), but you know, the Opteron has much more on-die cache than the P4 and possibly the A64.

So here, the A64 will come out at 2 Ghz, right? 200 Mhz above the tested Opteron. The A64 is rumored to have 1 MB of cache, but who knows.

Best case scenario:
A64 is 2.2 Ghz with 1 MB cache. It basically trades benchmarks with the 3.2 P4, while being the best on some important ones (ie, speed crown AMD). The A64 2.4 Ghz comes out with the Prescott launch (Prescott at 3.4). Prescott and A64 trade benchmarks again, until Windows 64 comes out and the A64 gets an outright lead. Intel fights back and this continues for at least another couple years with both companies slowly increasing Ghz and handing the speed crown back and forth.

That doesn't sound so bad. IMHO if anyone predicts a better scenario than that, they have their head in the sand. Thoughts?

I'm just your average habitual smiler =D

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Correct me if I am mistaken, but this article does not even mention the A64. It's the Opteron 144 that is tested, not A64.

It's because it's been remoured to be same. Athlon 64 Dual Channel will be same as Opteron 144.

KG

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." - Sarah Chambers

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I think the Athlon64 is a bit of a dark horse...Athlon64/Opteron really shines when it starts using large datasets. Meaning it can handle intensive apps better and also has superior scaling capabilites than the P4 - <A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=105029535" target="_new">Clicky</A>.

So what does this mean ? Well basically Athlon64/Opteron has been specifically designed to be able to run future software/programs, FAST !

Specifically I reckon it will be a beast of a processor when running Windows 2005 (judging from previews Win2005 looks like a very rich and intensive OS).

For example its filing system will essentially be an SQL database and graphically be very intensive.

Early Opteron benchmarks show its strengths lie in Transaction Processing and gaming. Remember when the P4 first came out everybody said how poorly it perfomed ? Well look at it now..its netburst architecture really came out trumps cause Intel were thinking way ahead of us in terms of designing it around the demands of future software programs.

I think AMD are using this exact same approach and as the next generation of applications and games come out I think we will get an idea of how efficient and powerful this processor really is.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Now see that's an interesting thought. AMD is putting in architecture advances in order to take advantage of the needs of tomorrow. But if they fail to get enough interest at first, there may not be the software designs to take advantage of these. Even when the P4s were considered not so great, Intel was very well respected and people continued to buy and develop for Intel. Although there has been a lot of Opteron support, who's to say that the normal consumer is going to demand the A64? Even computer know-nothings know of Intel. There are still a HUGE amount of people that don't know that AMD exists. And from the few ads i've seen, AMD looks (from a non-computer user perspective) the same as Sun or IBM.

A64 as the future great chip? Maybe, but it has a couple hurdles first. And the biggest is name recognition (and that means beyond geeks and nerds).

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
I agree with how you said that amd is looking ahead. I also believe that Intel is also looking ahead with their cpus. We all have to wait and see the out come of A64 and Scotty. We have not seen a really test yet for Scotty, so we have no idea how it will scale to the A64. All we now is that it runs at 100watts. I can't wait to get a new system, the A64 looks to be a real winner.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
From what I have seen amd is know by a lot of people. Think about it, when they go to bestbuy or some place like that, they computers with amd logos. They ask what the difference is between a computer that cost $2000(intel) and the $1200(amd). I feel that people know about them. The only problem I see is that they don't know anything about them, but they don't care if they are paying less and have a warranty for which cpu they get.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok, so in my home towns (Portland and Spokane), no AMD machines exist at bestbuy, circuit city, or compusa. Maybe it's just a regional thing, I'm not sure. But think back to people you've met. How many did you have to tell that AMD is Intel's competitor. Personally, I've told quite a few.

And this is actually a realistic conversation in Best Buy:

"I would like a computer"
"Ok, would you like an AMD or an Intel?"
"Which one is a pentium?"

And you know what? When people are buying computers, it's expensive enough that they DO start asking probing questions, such as "Why is this computer cheaper...Is there something wrong with it?". And considering that most salespeople have little to no knowledge of the technology they sell, they're going to play up the more expensive Intel anyway (for obvious $$ reasons). Very few salespeople will be willing to say that there are relatively few differences b/w Intel and AMD.

Oh and the number 1 PC maker (Dell) does not sell AMD. So it seems like that alone shows a little about the effect marketing has had on the pc market.

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
i agree completely,

one of my friends thought pentium was another name for a cpu, he asked if i had a pentium athlon or a pentium 4

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

LOL! "PENTIUM ATHLON"

...Now THERE is an oxymoron I'd never thought would EVER be stated! ROFL!!

definition of oxymoron - 2 words that just do not fit together.

<font color=blue> Ok, so you have to put your "2 cents" in, but its value is only "A penny's worth". Who gets that extra penny? </font color=blue>

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
everybody knows its called an athlon celeron

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
How many did you have to tell that AMD is Intel's competitor. Personally, I've told quite a few.
Ugh. Does <i>that</i> ever bring up some bad memories. :(

One day my uncle was talking to me about buying a new computer. It took me two hours just to get him to understand that a computer from Gateway, from Dell, from <i>anyone</i> uses the same standardized parts as the rest of them. There's nothing special about a Dell that a Gateway can't do. And there's nothing special about any of them that a home-built computer can't do.

The whole Intel/AMD explanation was just compeltely lost on him. That itself was fifteen minutes of my time that I'm never getting back. **ROFL**

The worst part is that the very next day he'd either already forgotten. (Or else never believed me in the first place.) So when he asked me to come with him to look at new computers I flat out said to him that if he's not going to actually listen to my advice then why should I bother giving it to him? Needless to say he went out and got the computer on his own.

And he came home with a Wilty (P4 Celeron) paired with 256MB of PC133 SDRAM and loaded with XP Home. Normally I'd have felt bad that anyone could get stuck with something like that but all considered I think he got what he deserved. :p

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
yes very good gaming cpu up to now i dont know if intel can beat that but on workstation produce even a opteron cannot beat a P4.That the workstation they have aim and got a gaming machine ok better made a deal with MS for the xbox that try to pull out a new ISA

I dont like french test

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Wow. That's a wild thought.

I would think that an A64-based XBox2 would be massive overkill. At the same time though it'd be awesome for people to use as super-cheap SOHO servers if it could be cracked. :O

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
You guys are wrong, this is the future of games, almost 350 3d Marks! <A HREF="http://www.hexus.co.uk/review.php?review=373" target="_new">Click </A>
Go Via, just wait until a 1.2 Ghz one is released, then Apple should watch out too.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.