FX-8150 Overheating, have no idea why

zpoland2010

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
So, after having numerous windows update issues with Windows7 home premium, I did a clean install of Windows 7, and also added 2 spare hard drives that I had. I reinstalled everything just fine, installed a game on Steam and noticed that the motherboard would beep (bios beep sounds) while playing. I ran a few diagnostics: memtest - nothing, system file checker - nothing, removed new hard drives - nothing, removed all of the RAM and tested 1 by 1 - nothing, ran prime 95 - FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4. Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file. The system shut down, not rebooted, shut down. Ok, i took a look at the BIOS settings and saw that my CPU Temp while idling at about 58 degrees, i re-applied some AS5 after cleaning the old thermal compound off and lowered it to about 50-51 degree on idle in the bios. Still, when I run prime95, the computer shuts itself down after about 15 minutes. I used HWMonitor and the TMPIN2 is the one that sets off the BIOS CPU temperature monitor noise. I've let it get as high as 70 degree before shutting off prime95. I've used speedfan to check my temps and they are about the same temps. Any advice? I really hate to think that some hardware has suddenly gone bad, but I suppose it does happen.

Specs:

Gigabyte 970A-D3 Motherboard w/latest BIOS version
AMD FX-8150 CPU
Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU cooler
XtremeGear 700W PSU

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
First, when idling in BIOS, the CPU is running at full speed. So the temp will be higher than in Windows when Cool and Quiet/C1E is dropping the speed and possibly the cores. That is, assuming you use the function.

But your other symptoms would make me wonder if the water cooler is functioning correctly. Do you have the stock cooler to test with?