Power Supply failing? Or something else?

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hey,
This problem has just start a few days ago and I notice it when I am doing some heavy things (using a lot of resources) I booted up Battlefield 3 and after a while of playing all of the sudden my computer shut off or the displays went out and all I could hear was a loud fan going and it would go until I turned the pc off, I put my ears to it and it sounded to be either the cpu or psu. I just bought my gtx 680 a few months ago and I doubt thats the problem. I tried again but this time checking the temps of both the gpu and cpu and they were normal while playing and it did it again... I tried one more time but this time disabling my second monitor and boom it worked fine... It won't turn off or do any of the behaviors listed above on other games like Half Life 2 or games like that,It only happens when using a lot of resources , just happened while playing Skyrim (other monitor wasn't off though) I am wondering if this sounds like a PSU problem?

Thanks

suteck

Distinguished
Your card will draw about 40 amps if you don't have it overclocked from your single rail which only has 62 to begin with. So if you're doing any overclocking with your video card AND the CPU you might be overloading your psu.

Is it that everything has been working fine for a long period of time (weeks?), and then it all of a sudden started happening or did you add something to your machine and shortly afterwards this started?

What are the computer components and case temps?

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I just called Gigabyte and he said that my pci slot is 2.0 and my graphic card needs 3.0 so I can't do high performance gaming and when I do it'll shut off or something so I guess its my mobo and cpu? apparently the gtx 680 doesn't work with bloomfield. It happened just recently, I haven't added anything or done anything different. I'm not OC'ing either.

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I just googled and apparently the 680 can work just fine with both my bloomfield cpu and 2.0 pci slot... as far as the temps go while playing bf3 the cpu and all its cores don't go past 45c and thats max and the gpu hits maybe 50c

suteck

Distinguished
Have you tried updating the drivers? Or if you just did that maybe you need to roll them back. The psu might be going out but that's probably a stretch, but sometimes you have to clutch at straws. Do you have a spare or can you borrow one from a friend to check that?

suteck

Distinguished
Good place to start. First try to "roll back" your current drivers first once, and then again if testing isn't successful and do it again until it works. The long way around is to uninstall the current drivers and delete them, while using the basic windows drivers look for and grab 1 or 2 of the older models. Let us know how it goes?

TRENDING THREADS