Solved

Is my PSU sufficient for amd radeon hd 6670

I want to do some light gaming and got a deal on a HD 6670. I want to know if my current power supply is sufficient (+12 combined (?)) or if I should upgrade it. I'm new to all this so thanks for the advice.

PC specs:
motherboard: msi g41m4-f
CPU: intel e8400
graphics card: amd Radeon hd 6670
RAM 2x 2gb= 4gb
320 gb hard drive
cd/dvd rw drive

My Power Supply:
Okia-450ATX(450W Max)
+3.3V : 28A
+5V : 50A
+12V : 18A
-12V : 1.0A
-5V : 0.8A
+5VSB : 2.5A

5v & 3.3v combined load 230w
5v + 12v & 3.3v combined load 422w
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sufficient radeon 6670
  1. It should be more than enough. When you are dealing with the 68xx, then you should consider an upgrade.
  2. Yes this video card will run just fine. As im running a amd 7750 with a 300 watt psu(7750 is more power efficient). But with a 450 watt psu you will be just fine.
  3. yes itll work
  4. Thanks. I was wondering if the +12 combined (?) is what it should be because I read that is what matters. I assume it is but am unsure how to tell.
  5. Without a doubt yes that card has a low power draw.
  6. Great. Thanks :)
  7. Best answer
    For a system using a single Radeon HD 6670 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 18 Amps or greater.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

The Broadway Com Corp 450W ATX (OKIA-450ATX), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 18 Amps Max, is borderline sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 6670. This is assuming that this PSU is even capable of delivering the power specified on its label.

That OKIA-450ATX is a horrible power supply. Too many reports of them dieing and blowing up.
  8. Thanks for the details ko888. I knew it was a low end psu but I was hoping it wasn't too bad. Since it is borderline, I will likely be getting a better one.
  9. noirose said:
    Thanks for the details ko888. I knew it was a low end psu but I was hoping it wasn't too bad. Since it is borderline, I will likely be getting a better one.

Just don't try to run FurMark or OCCT GPU3D or equivalent stress testing.
  10. Best answer selected by noirose.
  11. Would an Antec 500w Basiq BP500U v2.3 be any better ( I want something better than borderline) ? I'm able to get a brand new one for $30.

It has similar specs but has 2 18A rails instead of the Okia's one.

The Okia's combined loads are better though?
  12. The Antec Basiq Series 500 Watt (BP500U) v2.3 new version with Active PFC, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 29 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 6670.
  13. Thanks again ko888 :) 29 amps sounds much better and for my budget it sounds like a good price. I will get it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies HD Graphics Product