PSU Trouble

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
January 10, 2013 10:22:29 PM

Hello, so for a while now my PSU has been getting pretty hot even when idle and when running my computer there is a buring smell comming from my computer. Also few days ago when I was playing a game about 10 seconds into the game my computer without warning shutoff (it still turns on though). I have a 600 watt XremeGear PSU and I just got a bunch of new parts including a AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz CPU, GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Mobo, and a GIGABYTE GV-N65TOC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB. So I was thinking about getting a CORSAIR HX Series HX750 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply enough to run all of these new components without any trouble or if I should get a better one?

More about : psu trouble

January 10, 2013 10:53:58 PM

Yes, I would recommend a new psu, If yours is getting hot then it's time to switch it out before it starts ruining your new components. So with a seasonic, antec, XFX as a name brand component. The psu is one of the MOST critical components in your machine. If you want specific recommendations just let us know where you like to get parts from and your price range and we'll try not to go to far over it lol
m
l
January 10, 2013 10:58:41 PM

suteck said:
Yes, I would recommend a new psu, If yours is getting hot then it's time to switch it out before it starts ruining your new components. So with a seasonic, antec, XFX as a name brand component. The psu is one of the MOST critical components in your machine. If you want specific recommendations just let us know where you like to get parts from and your price range and we'll try not to go to far over it lol

Would the CORSAIR HX750 80 PLUS GOLD PSU do the trick?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2013 11:13:07 PM

That supply you have is only rated for 420W on the 12 volt supply and probably can't even do that. I would loose that supply as quickly as possible.

A good 550-650 Watt power supply should be good. Save some money and get a HX650. Here is a review of it:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX650-Go...
m
l
January 10, 2013 11:52:13 PM

That Corsair is a good one You can get it at newegg HERE - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
for under $140

And HardwareSecrets says

"Conclusions Hardware Secrets Golden Award

Corsair HX750W is an impressive power supply, being to this date one of the power supplies with the highest efficiency that we’ve tested to date, easily beating all other 750 W power supplies we’ve tested, including those also based on a DC-DC design on the secondary like Antec TruePower New"
That you can read HERE - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX750W-P... - for comparison
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 12:16:23 AM

Your CPU max wattage = 125W
Your graphics card max wattage = 110W
Everything else < 100W

= 335W if everything is running flat out (very hard to do)

So you can save some money here by getting a high quality lower power unit.

The problem you are having now is not wattage, but the quality of the power, though I suspect it cannot deliver its rated power either.
m
l
January 11, 2013 1:45:10 AM

The GTX 650 Ti will actually use approximately 237 watts according to the tom's hardware review done on that videocard. You can find it HERE - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-... - in case I misinterpreted something.

So we're at - - 125W, no overclock for the CPU
and with it @ ~238W. for the GPU

Putting us at 363W before you add the 100W everything else you got from somewhere putting us over the 450W psu. Again, that's without any overclocks if the OP intends to do any of that. My understanding is that you want to be just over the 60% and just under the 80% usage mark on normal everyday operations to run the psu efficiently. So with just a slight overclock on the cpu, which it looks like you have already at 3.8 instead of 3.6 or you run it up to 4.0GHz, and owning a very good overclocking video card that puts out very little heat, I would not do any LESS than a 500W PSU. Of course that's just me. And the 750 will give him the overhead everybody, ooops, most people like to have. I would hate to have to upgrade my PSU because I didn't leave myself any room the first time around.

The best way to configure a psu is to use one of the many psu configurators
HERE - http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.js...
HERE - http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx
HERE - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

And this "The problem you are having now is not wattage, but the quality of the power, though I suspect it cannot deliver its rated power either. " Is most likely VERY TRUE and the main problem.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 1:48:19 AM

You are wrong. That 237W is the total system draw, not the graphics card. Read the graph. That includes the processor and everything else. The maximum power draw for that graphics card is 110W:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

And I was being generous for "everything else".

The PSU configurators overestimate just about everything.

Use common sense. The worst case is maximum CPU power draw + graphics power draw + other. And that is what I stated.
And you will not ever even come close to this worse case scenario.

Oops, corrected link and power. I linked to the 550 Ti, which actually uses more power than the 660 Ti, which is 110W which I used for the power calculation.
m
l
January 11, 2013 2:07:03 AM

"You are wrong. That 237W is the total system draw, not the graphics card." That's why I posted the link lol

"The PSU configurators overestimate just about everything" Probably true, but using the configurator just makes sense, whether it's common or not. Better to base on the side of caution. They can't be way off or nobody would use them and there wouldn't be links everywhere with people telling you to check. I know, it's not precise but it's a good basis for planing.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 2:18:33 AM

suteck said:
"You are wrong. That 237W is the total system draw, not the graphics card." That's why I posted the link lol

"The PSU configurators overestimate just about everything" Probably true, but using the configurator just makes sense, whether it's common or not. Better to base on the side of caution. They can't be way off or nobody would use them and there wouldn't be links everywhere with people telling you to check. I know, it's not precise but it's a good basis for planing.

That makes no sense. That 237W is with the GPU+CPU+everything else under load. You say

"So we're at - - 125W, no overclock for the CPU
and with it @ ~238W. for the GPU

Putting us at 363W "

But that 238W already includes the 125W. This is what you are missing.
The 125W = CPU at idle + GPU at idle + everything else.
The 238W = CPU at idle + GPU at idle + everything else + additional GPU game load + additional CPU game load.

Please think about this some more until you understand it before we end up with some long pointless discussion.

m
l
January 11, 2013 3:18:33 AM

I agreed with you that I read it wrong, meaning that my numbers, being based on that, were also wrong (sorry, thought we were using common sense) - I quoted you and added that's why I posted the link and "laughed out loud."

Then I recommended that he use the psu configurators as a basis for planning, that's all. But I still wouldn't put anything less than a 500W psu,

"Please think about this some more until you understand it before we end up with some long pointless discussion." , and too late for that, it's already happened.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 3:29:13 AM

OK. That wasn't clear from your response. Then I think we both agree that an HX650 is more than enough overkill and an HX750 is a a bit over the top overkill.
m
l
!