Going for first HTPC- Need Direction

jacob0808

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: within the month

Budget Range: ~ $400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Will be used predominantly for Bluray, Netflix, and web surfing

Are you buying a monitor: Plan to hook up to a 42" 1080p LCD TV via HDMI

Do you need to buy OS: I would not like to spend cash on an OS, however I don't have enough linux experience to no what direction to go as far as bluray players and such so advice would be appreciated

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: I typically use AMD but last build was Intel and I love it. Could go either way.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: I'm hoping to come up with a rather small and quiet PC. This will sit in view underneath the TV so I don't want to take away from whatever is being watched. I also am curious about any form of pc remote that would allow me to not have to grab keyboard in order to start enjoying movies.
I have built multiple PC's in the past few years, however, I have never built a home theater specific one so I would be very appreciative of any help and advice given.

g-unit1111

Titan
Do you need to buy OS: I would not like to spend cash on an OS, however I don't have enough linux experience to no what direction to go as far as bluray players and such so advice would be appreciated

Ubuntu is a good place to start if you don't have any Linux experience. The OS is based on Linux but the interface is similar to Mac OS.

I'm building an HTPC myself but I'm having a hard time selecting a case - I'm building mine based around a lot of spare parts that I've collected in the last couple years (CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU, etc) and the only thing I really need is a good case to house it in but that still sits on the shelf.

jacob0808

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I did a little "google"ing and it seems like I might need some terminal knowledge in linux to get vlc to playback blu rays. None of these posts were super recent though.
Is this still the case?

inanition02

Distinguished

What form factor? And I presume the GPU requires a full size (i.e., not low profile) slot?

inanition02

Distinguished

I have the half height version of that case for my HTPC and love it.

inanition02

Distinguished

If you live in the US, those terminal "techniques" and similar are illegal in violation of the DMCA.

jacob0808

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
The lack of freeware blu ray players is unfortunate. But I do have cyberlink, I'm just not the biggest fan of it.

As far as conveniently working the pc from my couch. Is there a good option in the realm of a user friendly remote control?

jacob0808

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Nice suggestion. I think that is what I will use.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
The Silverstone Sugo SG07 is an expensive case, but beautiful. Fits a micro atx with a bit of cable management needed.

The best thing about it is that it fits a full size graphics card too. We have an I3, a 6850, an SDD and HDD and have no heat problems. Runs on 1080P tv so the graphics card isn't really taxed at all.

Just another option if you were looking at something smaller G-Unit.