Closed Solved

Gigabyte GTX 670 OC PSU requirement.

Hello,

Next month I'm looking at getting a new PC, and just had a quick question about PSU requirements. The GPU I'm looking at is a Gigabyte 670 OC which says it requires 550w of power, however I've seen people mention that a good quality 520 psu would do. Just wanted to confirm that this is correct. The PSU I was looking at was the Antec High Current Gamer 520w.

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I won't be doing any overclocking and here are the rest of the specs:

CPU: Intel i5 3470
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Mobo: ASRock B75 Pro-M
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb
SSD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120gb
RAM: G.Skill Ares 1600 (2x4)
CASE: Silverstone TJ08-e
PSU: Antec HCG 520w
and an Optical Drive
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gigabyte requirement
  1. It will handle it since the recommendations are based on generic units not quality like the Antec HCG. Really the requirement from Nvidia is 500watt http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
  2. Yes, you should be perfectly fine with that psu.
  3. Ah lovely, thanks alot for the replies :)
  4. Best answer
    The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC is a non-reference design that uses a GeForce GTX 680 circuit board. It requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCIe Power Connectors. That is the reason why Gigabyte recommends a 550 Watt PSU instead of the 500 Watt PSU that is recommended for reference design GeForce GTX 670 cards that only require two 6-pin PCIe Power Connectors.

Just make sure that the power supply has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater and has at least one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
  5. ko888 said:
    The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC is a non-reference design that uses a GeForce GTX 680 circuit board. It requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCIe Power Connectors. That is the reason why Gigabyte recommends a 550 Watt PSU instead of the 500 Watt PSU that is recommended for reference design GeForce GTX 670 cards that only require two 6-pin PCIe Power Connectors.

Just make sure that the power supply has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps or greater and has at least one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Thanks for the reply. I believe it should be fine from what you've said. Here's the link just in case :)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_226&products_id=15135

Cheers.
  6. Yes, it should be fine. Your rig should draw only about 350W peak on the +12V and it has 2 6+2 pin PCI-E power connectors.
  7. wump4 said:
    Thanks for the reply. I believe it should be fine from what you've said. Here's the link just in case :)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_226&products_id=15135

Cheers.

Yes, it definitely meets the requirements.
  8. Excellent, thanks guys :)
  9. Best answer selected by wump4.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gigabyte Components