Will I be able to reuse old PSU in new build?

bippy

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Hey guys, well I got most of the parts for my new pc build but had a question. I was hoping to reuse my old PSU and from what I can tell it should work but I wanted to ask. Ok here is the list of what I have put together:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 3GB Video Card

Here is a link to my PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817154015

I know this may not be the ideal PSU but will it work? If this one will not work I will upgrade to something that could handle sli video cards and perhaps water cooling later down the road. Any ideas on PSU for that kind of load would be awesome.

redtailed

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Yeah, that is old school with only 240W on the +12V. How old is it? It certainly don't think it would be using long-life high quality capacitors, so due to capacitor aging, it probably can't reach that 240W (if it ever could).

It is certainly not enough to power your new system in any case. Since you got a k processor I take it you intend to overclock. And you got a good midrange graphics card.

You would want to allow 140W for the CPU (overclocked), 170 for the graphics card, and < 100 for everything else. Conservatively that is 410W with everything maxed out at once. So look for a quality PSU with 450-500W on its 12V rails with two PCI-E cables. If you are thinking of SLI, go for a 650W unit with 4 PCI-E power cables

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The APEX 500W ATX12V Aluminum Power Supply (AL-B500E), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps and with NO PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is grossly insufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti.

bippy

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for your great advice guys and now I'll have a better idea on what to look for in the future. Definitely going with a new power supply. Hopefully I can at least reuse my case on my next build.... lol