Sign in with
Your question

Asus motherboard and AMD cpu

Last response: in CPUs
January 11, 2013 1:09:17 AM

Hello, I just have to say I'm really confused. I recently purchased a Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and a AMD FX 8350. Now after Reviewing various threads on this website and you tube videos, I still cannot understand. Namely, it seems I have to do a BIOS update to the motherboard in order for the cpu to function properly. I have taken the steps to download from Asus the latest update on to a flash drive. However, based on certain you tube videos (e.g. Newegg) the sabertooth R2.0 has already been updated with a bios update so that the 8350 would be compatible with the MB. So what I'm asking can I install the cpu right out of the box without having to do an bios update.
a c 146 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 1:36:19 AM

mpere said:
Hello, I just have to say I'm really confused. I recently purchased a Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and a AMD FX 8350. Now after Reviewing various threads on this website and you tube videos, I still cannot understand. Namely, it seems I have to do a BIOS update to the motherboard in order for the cpu to function properly. I have taken the steps to download from Asus the latest update on to a flash drive. However, based on certain you tube videos (e.g. Newegg) the sabertooth R2.0 has already been updated with a bios update so that the 8350 would be compatible with the MB. So what I'm asking can I install the cpu right out of the box without having to do an bios update.

Have you checked the manufactures website to see if R 2.0 is the latest BIOS? If it is than it should support it right out of the box without having to flash the BIOS. If there is another BIOS revision after 2.0 then you will probably have to flash the BIOS and in that case you will have to get another CPU like a Phenom II or Bulldozer so you can get the board to boot. After that you flash the BIOS and replace the CPU with the Piledriver.
m
l
Related resources
!