Wired vs Wireless

geniusray

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hey guys, needing help with some networking issues. We currently have wireless and wired connections going at the apt here.

My problem is that the wired connection seems to have problems sometimes whereas the wireless seems to be working fine.

I've noticed, sometimes, when viewing youtube videos the (wired) connection seems to "timeout"; basically meaning the loading of the video ceases (causing me to have to reload the video).

I'm not sure what the problem might be. I've already tried resetting the router but has not "fixed" the problem.

Anyways, thanks in advance: any help, insight, etc. helps.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Well the easy answer would be to use whichever one works best. Even if a wired connection would be faster if it doesn't work well it then it doesn't do you any good. What is interesting is WHY the wired connection would be worse, as that SHOULD be the more stable of the two. Directly wiring into stuff is always the best choice if you are within range to do it.

What type of connection are we talking about (DSL, Cable ?)
And how exactly does the apartment have both wired and wireless? Where is the wireless coming from is what i am getting at, some sort of hot spots around your apt. complex?