Solved

Acer Aspire x3400g CPU Upgrade

Hello all! I have an Acer Aspire x3400g that I got from walmart a year ago solely to upgrade and tweak as I go. So far, I have upgraded the video card using the Radeon HD 6570 (its a micro-atx, I believe?) which is pushing the Wattage of the stock PSU. So, I have also put in 4 more gigs of ram. Now, I want to know if I can switch the case to another micro atx for the PSU (and to get rid of the god awful ACER logo) but mostly, see if I can upgrade from a AMD II Athlon 255 3.10gHz to another AM3 socket quad core processor from AMD. Yep, I wanna make this a great PC and Im getting there but the processor and the PSU is holding me back. So, my two questions:
Can I?
-switch the case to another micro atx
-upgrade to a better processor

Thanks!
DragonHawk64
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about acer aspire x3400g upgrade
  1. Best answer
    https://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2010/acer/aspire/AspireX3400G/AspireX3400Gsp2.shtml

Supports up to a Phenom X4 965

Power supply is SFF, so it is going to be tough to upgrade. It MIGHT be a TFX standard, but I would measure it and make sure it is the same size as any power supply you are looking at.

TFX at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657+600014004&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=58&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

The biggest problem is that you can't go high end video on a Slim system. Highest end card is going to be a low prifile 7750, but that's still a full step or two up from your 6570.

As far as switching cases, I really doubt the motherboard is a standard size.
  2. dragonhawk said:
    Hello all! I have an Acer Aspire x3400g that I got from walmart a year ago solely to upgrade and tweak as I go. So far, I have upgraded the video card using the Radeon HD 6570 (its a micro-atx, I believe?) which is pushing the Wattage of the stock PSU. So, I have also put in 4 more gigs of ram. Now, I want to know if I can switch the case to another micro atx for the PSU (and to get rid of the god awful ACER logo) but mostly, see if I can upgrade from a AMD II Athlon 255 3.10gHz to another AM3 socket quad core processor from AMD. Yep, I wanna make this a great PC and Im getting there but the processor and the PSU is holding me back. So, my two questions:
    Can I?
    -switch the case to another micro atx
    -upgrade to a better processor

Thanks!
    DragonHawk64

Did you ever upgrade? If so let me know what you went with. I am really curious what I can do about the power supply as far as a modest upgrade without going away from slim case (its quiet pc perfect for my media center). I would switch cases if I knew what to go on.
  3. If you upgraded let us know. Im curious on the power supply upgrade if it fit in the case.
  4. Floorboss said:
    If you upgraded let us know. Im curious on the power supply upgrade if it fit in the case.

I am not the person. However I did do a case swap, PSU and GPU upgrade. I have been using an 430w Antec PSU and a GT 730 graphics card. The only problems I had switching cases was that I had to mount it upside down and the power button was really wrapped up in the face plate of the slim case.
  5. Hey just curious how well did the Radeon HD 6570 work with the stock PSU? I have the same computer and need to upgrade video so I can play Eve Online but my video freezes alot and flicks. and the Stock on board video is 256mb so was curious if upgrading to the 1gb 6750 would help.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Aspire Acer Product