Burned motherboard = dead CPU?

GamerBR

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I have an i5 2500k that was in use when a Zotac Z68 mini itx board literally burned and smoked when I was testing an overclock with linx.

Obviously the motherboard was just trash material after that, so I got a new board, an Asus P8Z77-I deluxe, but I also got unlucky when I found out that a component, a 4R7, was bent and with the top broken as in the picture, Before you guys suggest that, I can't RMA it, I got it in the US and I'm from Brazil. I managed to put it back in place, the wire looks undamaged, and I also managed to glue the top back on.
After that I tried booting it up with the i5 2500k but it just wouldn't post. I flashed a new bios in the motherboard with the USB Flashback feature, it did flash a new bios, but it still wouldn't post.

I know the obvious suggestion, test the cpu with another board and/or test the asus board with another cpu, but I just don't have any components laying around or know anyone that have. I can take it to a store to test both, but first I would like some opinions.

And do any of you know how this 4R7 works and what it purpose is?

New board
N8odO.jpg

Burned board
C6V0i.jpg

yM4vo.jpg

Hi,
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/general-electronics-chat/120313-suggests-broken-part-pc-motherboard.html
http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-25254.html?s=7ddaede07e0528f4a1de3b0f1781f81e
The issue might be with the CPU. If having a case speaker (beeper), connect it and start the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed. See if you get some beeps (1 long 2 short).
If not, you can try borrowing a CPU, or yes, testing the CPU and the board at a local shop. I think it's the CPU though, but I might be wrong.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

in 20 years i have never personally had any of my own, let alone seen a dead cpu and i have had plenty of dead psu's and a couple of dead motherboards, dont count on it but i would think your cpu would be ok

A fried motherboard COULD take the CPU with it, but it's got, at this point, dozens of redundancies to make sure that doesn't happen.

That being said, your issue with the RMA sounds kinda nasty. Any chance of mailing it to someone in the US who could then RMA it for you?

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
The previous two poster took the words out of my mouth. Your going through the unlucky streak right now, GamerBR.

GamerBR

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
My new case doesn't have a speaker, I removed one from an old case I have but it doesn't work (I also tested connecting it directly to a 5v supply, it still wouldn't beep).

But by the links above I really doesn't believe that the problem is the new motherboard, but if in the end it was, I could do what was suggested, I have a person in the US that could do that for me.

And I know having a fried cpu would be unusual, but how often do you see a motherboard end like that? From the search I've done, it's also pretty rare.

First off it would have taken an extreme amount of direct impact pressure to have actually broken that 4R7!

And you cannot fix that with glue, that component part would need to be completely replaced!

Secondly there was no need to buy a Z77 motherboard for a Sandy Bridge CPU in the first place even though the Ivy Bridge motherboard can run a Sandy, a Z68 or P67 would have been the better choice for the overclocking of a 2500K.

Too many buy the cheapest motherboard and expect high overclocking results from it, when it doesn't have the voltage regulators to stably support the overclock.

There's a lot more to successful overclocking than just buying a CPU that can be overclocked, the rest of the initial hardware purchases need to reflect your initial intentions, and be capable of actually supporting the overclock you intend.

So what have you learned at this point of your dilema, and what are your intentions from this point?