Screensaver from online album...

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 12, 2005 9:25:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I recently received a newsletter from some photo site, among other
things advertising a new possibility of creating a Windows screensaver
from an online album, automatically updating the screensaver whenever
new photos were added to the album.

This sounds like it could be a great way of sharing pictures with
friends and family, but in the meantime I have deleted the newsletter
and absolutely cannot remember the name of the site in question.

So if anybody knows the site I am referring to, please enlighten me...

Regards
Nicholas Oxhøj
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:02:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks, but I am not sure that Kodak Gallery (formerly Ofoto) is it. At
least I can't find such a feature. They do have a downloadable OfotoNow
application for uploading and ordering photos. This apparently also
allows creating a (local) screensaver from (local) files, but that is
all I can find...
September 12, 2005 4:55:39 PM

<noxhoej@gmail.com> wrote in message
I recently received a newsletter from some photo site, among other
things advertising a new possibility of creating a Windows screensaver
from an online album, automatically updating the screensaver whenever
new photos were added to the album.

OFOTO offered that feature on its software. I haven't checked their site
since it became the Kodak Gallery, but the free software is probably still
there, albeit under a new name.
September 13, 2005 5:38:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Greetings,

I suspect that they feature in question relates to a new option from
the EasyShare Gallery. It now offers:

· Your unique kodakgallery.com/yourname web address.
· A new and improved photo display.
· Slideshow or album views, with room to add text.
· Secure storage for your pictures.
· One-click publishing to make creating your page easy.
· Hi-res downloads of your original image files.

For an additional $20 a year, you can get $.10 cent prints for that
same year.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 10:52:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You can do this as well in Windows (at least in Windows XP), but I was
thinking of a screensaver automatically getting the photos from some
location on the web - not a local folder on the PC. This would for
instance let grandparents run the screensaver on their machines and
when the proud father (i.e. me) added new pictures of the kids to some
album/folder on the relevant web-service (e.g. photos.yahoo.com,
pictures.aol.com, Flickr - whichever has this screensaver), they would
autmatically be included in the screensaver(s) on the different PC's.

I know that this is apparently possible if you are using a Mac together
with a .mac account and for PC's I have found http://screenzz.com/, but
thought that I had seen one of the major "photo album sites" offering
such a service...
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:37:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> I recently received a newsletter from some photo site, among other
> things advertising a new possibility of creating a Windows screensaver
> from an online album, automatically updating the screensaver whenever
> new photos were added to the album.

On MacOS X you just put the photos in any folder and point the
built-in screensaver at it (from System Preferences). Nothing
needs to be added or created.

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/&gt; for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975
September 15, 2005 7:52:45 AM

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
>> I recently received a newsletter from some photo site, among other
>> things advertising a new possibility of creating a Windows screensaver
>> from an online album, automatically updating the screensaver whenever
>> new photos were added to the album.
>
> On MacOS X you just put the photos in any folder and point the
> built-in screensaver at it (from System Preferences). Nothing
> needs to be added or created.
>
> ============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk ==============
> Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660 4760
> <http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/&gt; for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975
> stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739 557

There are MANY Windows programs that allow cycling through a directory
to display pictures as a screensaver. Just adding to the directory
would include the new pictures into the screensaver. Marketing hype!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ok, I have found out that there exists quite a few screensavers for
Flickr which seem to do exactly what I want (at least judging from
their descriptions), so maybe I just have to sign up for a Flickr Pro
account to get my screensaver, although I had hoped for a cheaper
solution :-)

Since nobody have mentioned this in reply to my question, I list a
couple of links for the record...

http://www.wackylabs.net/2005/09/flickr-screensaver-40/
http://1001.kung-foo.tv/
http://www.md.ucl.ac.be/nefy/facecatlab/mouraux/glfs/
http://www.bit-101.com/blog/archives/000182.html
http://graemef.com/?q=node/440

If this triggers any relevant information of alternative solutions,
please let me know...
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 12:55:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>>> I recently received a newsletter from some photo site, among other
>>> things advertising a new possibility of creating a Windows screensaver
>>> from an online album, automatically updating the screensaver whenever
>>> new photos were added to the album.
>> On MacOS X you just put the photos in any folder and point the
>> built-in screensaver at it (from System Preferences). Nothing
>> needs to be added or created.
> You can do this as well in Windows (at least in Windows XP), but I was
> thinking of a screensaver automatically getting the photos from some
> location on the web - not a local folder on the PC. [..]
> I know that this is apparently possible if you are using a Mac together
> with a .mac account and for PC's I have found http://screenzz.com/, but
> thought that I had seen one of the major "photo album sites" offering
> such a service...

On MacOS 10.4/Tiger (which I don't have) you can make some sort of
"virtual folder" dynamically - I would guess that you could make the
built-in screensaver point at a folder whose contents were defined
by a script to pull in the images from remote servers by ftp or http.
You shouldn't need a .mac account to do it, and Automator ought to
mostly create the script for you. But this is mainly guesswork and
something I haven't thought of might get in the way.

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/&gt; for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975