System freezing

Current System:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955
Mobo: ASrock 970 Extreme3
RAM: 8(4x2) gig G.Skill Ripjaws 1333
GPU: Radeon 6950 Sapphire 2g
PSU: Corsair TX 750W
O.S: Windows 7 64 bit

Atleast once a day, sometimes more, my system freezes making me have to hard restart it. At first I thought the problem was my old PSU so I recently bought the current TX 750w and im still having these random freezes. I thought maybe I had a bad card and i should RMA it. As a sort of test I put my older gpu in(8800gt) and I still had the same exact problem. Its not an overheating issue, and I doubt its a driver issue considering I've tried multiple different versions after using Driversweeper and have had the same results. I read somewhere that a fresh install of windows my help but I dont want to unless I know it will fix it. Any ideas would be awesome.
8 answers Last reply
More about system freezing
  1. it might be a windows problem, may be you installed a software which is not compatible win win 7 64 bit old version. Try to upgrade with service pack 1,

here is a link to upgrade windows.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

file: windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe 903.2 MB
  2. I already have the service pack 1 and its happening more frequently now...could this be a CPU problem? Like I said my temps are fine and neither my gpu or cpu are oc'd at the moment
  3. What drive are you using for your OS? I've had some bad experiences with SSD's causing me hangs and freezes on occasion.

However, if the problem persists, a fresh install of windows may be your only hope.
  4. Im using a HDD. Can't be more than a year old. How would reinstalling windows help me?
  5. Well whenever I've gotten freezes and hangs, I usually start going through a checklist of things to do before I re-install Windows. This includes, Defragging (if HDD), virus scans, cleaning registry, driver sweep+updates.

If all fails and I'm still getting the issues, I usually re-install Windows...after a fresh install, things are back to normal.

However, there may be a solution out there that I don't know about :lol:
  6. well im actually thinking it COULD be my gpu...like im second guessing my previous assement of it...I did try it with my old 8800gt and i had a freeze but my 6950 is doing is alot more frequently
  7. badarang said:
    well im actually thinking it COULD be my gpu...like im second guessing my previous assement of it...I did try it with my old 8800gt and i had a freeze but my 6950 is doing is alot more frequently

A quick google search brought this up http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/339670-33-graphics-card-freezes-windows

It may be of some help :??:
  8. I've still yet to fix this problem, Im considering sending my GPU in for RMA. Before I do I will try the windows re-install but only because im desperate. Unless anyone has any better ideas?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics