PSU consumption on a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalent

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hey guys,

So right now I am running a Core i7 960 with 6 Gigs of DDR3 1600mhz, a GTX 470, and a TX850 Watt PSU . And I am about to do a full new build here in the next month or so. I'm going to be upping to a 3770k, 32 gigs of ram, and either 2 Gtx 670's 4 Gb edition ( would be a total of 8 Gb in sli, i think) or 2 Gtx 680 4 Gb edition. Now my question is, will my PSU currently be enough for either of those cards together? I'm trying to do a "future proof" build, which is why some of the components are a little extreme. I've read that some people are running like 750 watt PSU's with i think Gtx 670 SLI, and I saw some say Gtx 680 SLI. But I just want to make sure in case I should buy a new PSU. Thanks for the help in advance

Solution
For a system using two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two reference clocked GeForce GTX 670 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series...

suteck

Distinguished
nVidia itself recommend 500W for a single 670.
http://www.nvidia.in/object/geforc [...] pContent=2

For testing conducted for SLI 670, the resulting system consumption for SLI is 433W of which 293W are attributed to the gpu cards.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gefo [...] i-review/4

If you use this psu calculator considering your components, the result is 664W (overclocked processor & used 680x2 to simulate gpu OC:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

All points out to 750W being more than enough.

Thanks to "bigcyco1" for doing all the work

For a system using two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two reference clocked GeForce GTX 670 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 680 or 670 in 2-way SLI mode. There is more than ample spare capacity to handle any overclocking of the CPU and/or GPUs that you may want to attempt.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.