Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered

DominicMendonsa

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hello everyone. First time on this forum and I sure hope it's my last. I just finished moving everything over to a brand new case. About a week later, I got a new motherboard and installed it 2 days ago. However, I've been having issues since. I've seen multiple threads about this problem and none with any good answers. Just a lot of circles. I've taken the time to compile as much information as I can and put them into pictures for easier viewing. Here they are:

1. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/...verAMDHasStoppedRespondingAndHasRecovered.png
2. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/sinofsilver/ControlPanelSystemInformation-1.png
3. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/sinofsilver/SystemInformation-1.png
4. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/sinofsilver/GPUZInformation-1.png
5. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/sinofsilver/AverageHeatSignatures.png
6. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/sinofsilver/UpdatedGFXCardDrivers-1.png
7. http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/sinofsilver/SBVoltageLow-1.png

My situation. Just installed a new motherboard. The motherboard is the ASUS/ROG Crosshair V Formula. The motherboard can be found here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

Once I had it installed, a friend and I started to slowly put the computer back together. Started it. Computer wasn't able to get to Windows so we ended up Clean Installing. Clean Slate. Started it back up. Put a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on it. Downloaded all the drivers for BIOS, BIOS Utilities, GFX Drivers, Sound Drivers, as well as Windows Updates. I'm sure I'm missing something but my point is that everything is updated. Start playing a game called IMVU which is a 3D Model Social Game. I have my first crash of my Display Driver seen in picture 1. I start to check the interwebs for answers and stumble across a few checking protocols. I'm sure you're all familiar with FurMark and MemTest. Anyway, I ran both of those. Both came up clean as a whistle. No errors to report at all. I decided to open the case and check if everything is properly in their correct slots. Everything secured. Try again. Still crashing under low to moderate use of the graphics card even while browsing the internet. So, everything is secured and squared away. Everything is locked in place and snug in their slots and sockets. All my drivers are updated.
What the hell is going on? My friend is an absolute genius with this stuff. I'm at moderate level of Computer knowledge, but even he is stumped. Just take my word for it; he knows what he's talking about and what he's doing and he doesn't know what else to do. He suggested a second clean install which is what I'm thinking as well, but that doesn't identify the problem. I want to hit this on the head so I never have to be stumped again if it happens. When it comes to heat and voltage use, I'm not too smart there so please let me know if anything is DRASTICALLY standing out in the picture. As for the picture with the SB Voltage Error in the lower right, I'm assuming that means soundboard and it usually appears the moment I bring up the Heat Signature reader which I'm guessing is getting caught before it even starts and gets pinged for low voltage. I'm not sure. Either way, my soundboard is doing fine and working. I will now give you a worded breakdown of my build for review.

Additional Hardware Information:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Bit OS
Quad Core 3GHz ea.
ATI Radeon HD 5750
Thermaltake 600W PSU
8 GB Ram at avg. 1866 Hz
ASUS/ROG Crosshair Formula V

As a note for people who believe I have physically damaged hardware or the programs are faulty, I assure you I do not have physically broken hardware and the software mentioned is not faulty. No bends, breaks, dents, loose bits, etc. Everything is in tip top shape, clear of dust and ready to rock. The programs are on the same patch they were 3 days ago when I was in my old system. Nothing has changed. Please do not ask if I have updated my BIOS and GFX Drivers. I have. I've seen many posts where someone get's haggled for not downloading the latest drivers when they've stated multiple times that they have. My drivers are correct and up to date. Whether they are corrupt or not is another story but I've done a BIOS update twice and a GFX update 5 times.

Please help me out here.

DominicMendonsa

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Bump. I'm about over the deep end now. I lost my cool today and just shut it all down. I'd still like some help though if anyone can identify anything at all. The driver stopped responding rapidly about 4 to 5 times in rapid succession in the period of a minute. Screen just gave up, went to sleep, and I had to restart the comp to shut it down properly.

RFIELd

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I dont know if this will help, but once this happened to me on my laptop. I installed clean install of windows 7, installed newest gpu drivers for *** integrated graphics hd 3200 and the display driver was failing like mad, so I installed older drivers, but Counter-Strike 1.6 wasnt working and many older games too, cuz the driver was working fine on the desktop and so on, but failed in those games, so in the end I was forced to install some even older drivers which had Catalyst control center instead of AMD Vision control center and that completely solved my problem.

DominicMendonsa

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Are there any suggestions? Here is an update:
I just got a new 1K Watt PSU because we believed it to be a power issue.
Before getting a new one, a friend of mine plugged a second 4 pin in. The reason why I believed it to be a power issue is because the problem became less frequent with more power getting to the GPU. However, after getting this new PSU with now 1K Watt(I originally planned to get a better PSU anyway so it wasn't just for this issue), the issue is even less frequent but still here.
NOTE: Reminding you all again that this NEVER happened before until I swapped my new MOBO. But there is no obvious reason that it's the MOBO's fault unless it, for some reason, can't transfer the power correctly.

Just as a warning, bumping is against forum rules.

I consider myself to be a pretty good computer user, having built and serviced many many computers.

But when my own main computer started having this problem. I had tried everything. Rolling back the drivers 1 by 1, blowing out dust, probably everything you had tried and more.

One day, as I was pondering over this problem, I decided to swap my old working 8800GT in there to see if the GPU was the problem.

The same thing happened with the 8800GT.

Then, looking at the internals of my system, I decided to test my RAM, turned out that was the issue.

Now I've read up alot on this problem, and it seems that its for a variety of reasons and has alot of solutions. RAM might not be the solution, but I'm just saying try everything.

I would maybe try the GPU in your friend's computer (I'm sure he has one) and maybe test the memory.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I had the same problem in my Radeon HD5770. After struggling too hard to overcome the problem, I found a suggestion over the internet that resolved my issue. The theory behind my resolution is that these new graphics cards have idle GPU/memory clocks and performance GPU/memory clocks and several other clocks in between. While the GPU moves between states during even internet browsing or moving a folder on the desktop, the graphics card sometimes gliches and issues a warning that you are receiving "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.".

My remedy was to increase idle clocks from 157/300 to 209/400 MHz for my Radeon HD5770 for it to change states smoothly. I suggest the same to you. Increase your gfx idle clocks by a factor of 1.33 and see if your issue is resolved.

EDIT: In case you wish to increase core/memory clocks, here is the way to do it:

How to increase idle-state core and memory clock speeds for Radeon HD 5xxx, 6xxx, and 7xxx series cards:

Open Catalyst Control Center (new version since October 2011).

Make sure Enable Graphics Overdrive is unchecked in Overdrive section.

Click Presets.

Click Add preset.

Give a name to the preset (such as Speedy) and save.

Now go to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles\ (AppData folder is hidden. Make it visible.).

In Profiles folder, you will see a file called Speedy.xml.

Open Speedy.xml with notepad.

In this file there is a line

name="CoreClockTarget....."
<Property name="Want_0" value="xxx00" /> (xxx00 is your idle-state core clock. Make it 20900)

and another line

name="MemoryClockTarget....."
<Property name="Want_0" value="yyy00" /> (yyy00 is your idle-state memory clock. Make it 40000)

Change only the Want_0 values. These are the idle-state clocks.

Save the file with the changes you have made.

Now go back to Catalyst Control Center.

Select the Preset called Speedy and then put a checkmark in the box next to Enable Graphics OverDrive.

Click Apply at the bottom of the Catalyst Control Center window.

Now you can see the new idle-state core/memory clock speeds.

Please note the clock changes reflect my system. Depending on your idle state clocks, modify them by a factor of 1.33 as I said above.

RussK1

Splendid

What power supply?

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
The only time I ever had this display driver crash was when I was overclocking my 7850.

Have you checked how hot your card is getting? I wonder if somehow your cooling got messed up.

Specifically, I think mine crashed like that when I was overclocking the memory. I wonder if you could try underclocking the memory in CCC overdrive. This probably isn't it, but you could give it a shot.

TheQuickCook

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Sometimes Hibernation action can cause this for you. I had frequent BSODs and TDR error for almost a month. I noticed it worsen after a wake up from hibernation. So i turned off all the "hibernate" actions in my Power Settings. Even the critical battery action was changed to "shut down" and not "hibernate". It helped.