Sign in with
Your question

No picture displayed!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2012 11:33:49 AM

Hi guys, So basically when I put my graphics card in and turn on the pc nothing is displayed on the screen, the computer boots and everything there is just no picture.

Power supply - Thermeltake 560w psu from 2002 with 1x 20 pin and I have 2x 5 pin for the graphics card.

What is wrong?

More about : picture displayed

July 9, 2012 11:51:10 AM

I think there is wrong 1 thing. After connecting graphics card, you should turn off built-in motherboard graphics from bios setup>Video configuration and also turn on PCIe 2.0 from PCI configuration.

Due to dual display adapter, lcd only shows welcome screen and does not show windows display.
July 9, 2012 12:01:49 PM

I did that, I set the onboard graphics to disabled when something is in the pci slot but the onboard still works when the card is in
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 12:02:01 PM

seumas_beathan said:
Hi guys, So basically when I put my graphics card in and turn on the pc nothing is displayed on the screen, the computer boots and everything there is just no picture.

Power supply - Thermeltake 560w psu from 2002 with 1x 20 pin and I have 2x 5 pin for the graphics card.

What is wrong?

You DID move the monitor cable from the motherboard connection to the connector on the graphics card, Right?
July 9, 2012 12:08:59 PM

Of course I did :L I know how to build a computer
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 12:09:41 PM

What graphic card and motherboard are you using?
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 12:09:49 PM

How do you know it boots?
July 9, 2012 12:12:16 PM

I know it boots because even though I set it to disable the onboard video still works
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 12:40:33 PM

While using on board graphics go into windows and install latest AMD drivers. Then power down switch the monitor to the GPU and see if it works. If not the problem may be within the PCIs slot or GPU. I assume you connected the two 6 pin power connectors right? What type of power supply do you run?
July 9, 2012 12:44:10 PM

I tried installling drivers, still nothing. As for psu, it is in the op
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 1:25:48 PM

this is system requirements for 5870
500 watt or greater power supply
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

Power supplies will go bad with age due to capacitor aging

"The capacitance of certain capacitors decreases as the component ages. In ceramic capacitors, this is caused by degradation of the dielectric. The type of dielectric, ambient operating and storage temperatures are the most significant aging factors, while the operating voltage has a smaller effect. The aging process may be reversed by heating the component above the Curie point. Aging is fastest near the beginning of life of the component, and the device stabilizes over time.[23] Electrolytic capacitors age as the electrolyte evaporates. In contrast with ceramic capacitors, this occurs towards the end of life of the component."
source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

since the PSU is from 2002 according to OP I would really replace the PSU with a modern one
Antec,Seasonic,Corsair are three brands I would recommend
I personally went with a Antec High Current Gamer Series 520w myself
the Ante HCG series are a good lower cost option

My recommendation is to replace the PSU with at least a 500w newer one
Any PSU from 2002 is suspect and TBH Thermaltake doesnt have the best reputation for making PSUs
July 9, 2012 1:31:40 PM

I am going to try it in my mates pc later, he has an *shudders* ocz power supply, but it is pretty new and is 550w so should be fine :)  Thanks for the help guys, if it still doesnt work I will post a reply
a b U Graphics card
a c 91 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 1:32:24 PM

^ - I agree with king! Replace the PSU with a good brand like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, 500 watts or higher.
July 9, 2012 1:37:59 PM

But is there a chance that using my psu could have damaged the card?
One thing i am confused about is that surely when the pc is booting up the card is running at idle thus consuming only about 150w so why wouldnt it work? I have been running a 5850 for the last few months
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 1:39:11 PM

You need a psu with 24 pins. Those extra 4 pins power the pcie slots. And they need to be 6 pin connectors, not 5
a c 197 U Graphics card
a c 124 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 1:40:14 PM

Since you say the PC boots and uses the onboard video even when the HD5870 is installed, does it show up in Device Manager?
You say your PSU has a 20-pin power connection...yes, supposedly those work in a 24-pin board, but I am wondering out loud here if the PCIE slot isn't getting [enough] power. This is another reason to replace that PSU.
July 9, 2012 1:42:31 PM

No it doesnt show up in device manager but I have been running this same psu with a 5850 for the last couple of months and that has been fine
a c 197 U Graphics card
a c 124 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 2:08:11 PM

Test it in your mate's PC. At this point, it could be a bad card. If it works in his PC, then it comes back to a possible power issue. I assume you aren't hearing a loud beep, since I'm sure you would have mentioned it; more like a scream, it would be the graphics card moaning that it isn't getting enough juice.
July 9, 2012 2:09:36 PM

No noise what so ever, apart from the cards fan
a c 197 U Graphics card
a c 124 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 2:10:57 PM

Well then, we'll just wait for the tests.
July 9, 2012 2:33:40 PM

Tried it in a mates pc and it worked fine so I am just going to buy a cheap Corsair CX600 thanks for the help lads
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 3:00:29 PM

I hope it works out good for you
Corsair is a good name for PSUs
Please post back or PM me and let me know it worked out okay
I get emotionally involved in these sort of things LOL :) 
a c 197 U Graphics card
a c 124 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 3:27:03 PM

Yeah, please let us know how it turns out.
a b U Graphics card
a c 91 ) Power supply
July 9, 2012 3:45:22 PM

king smp said:
I hope it works out good for you
Corsair is a good name for PSUs
Please post back or PM me and let me know it worked out okay
I get emotionally involved in these sort of things LOL :) 

:) 
!