activating the e-mail icon in Active Theme ? Win XP

How do I activate the little e-mail icon in the Desktop Active Theme in
Windows XP?

The disk space and calendar are updated and displayed correctly on the right
side of the screen, but how do I get the e-mail icon do anything, i.e.,
respond to new messages etc. from Outlook 2003?

z.entropic

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:56:07 -0700, z.entropic wrote:

> How do I activate the little e-mail icon in the Desktop Active Theme in
> Windows XP?
>
> The disk space and calendar are updated and displayed correctly on the right
> side of the screen, but how do I get the e-mail icon do anything, i.e.,
> respond to new messages etc. from Outlook 2003?
>
> z.entropic

I'm not sure what you mean by "desktop active theme." There is no theme by
that name within XP. The two themes included with XP are XP Classic and XP
Style. Neither one of these sports an interactive email icon.

What program are you using to display disk space, calendar and email on the
desktop?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sorry for a scambled name; it's Active Think (modified) Theme (exact
wording); come to think of it, it could have been added by IBM as part of
their ThinkPad software preload...

z.entropic

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:13:01 -0700, z.entropic wrote:

> Sorry for a scambled name; it's Active Think (modified) Theme (exact
> wording); come to think of it, it could have been added by IBM as part of
> their ThinkPad software preload...

No problem on the mistype. From a quick on search on google, it would
appear that you're right and this is from IBM:
http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/thinkpad/community/download.html

Usually objects on a desktop like this are managed by a script. In some
third party themes, you can directly configure the object with a right
click. Perhaps, your object needs to be told what email client you use
before it will do anything for you?

On the other hand, if the object's script is broken, it will not work
correctly if at all. I have used themes of this type but have never created
one. In other words, I can't give you any advice on how to fix the
scripting. You might try a different theme from IBM or check to see if the
version of "Active Think" on their website is newer than the one that
you're using.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks you, Sharon. I'll investigate a bit deeper now that I know what it is,
including the helpful board at www.thinkpads.com

z.entropic

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:32:15 -0700, z.entropic wrote:

> Thanks you, Sharon. I'll investigate a bit deeper now that I know what it is,
> including the helpful board at www.thinkpads.com

You're very welcome and good luck with this!
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User