Gameplay and video playback not "smooth"

ShadowedSun

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi,
I've been having a problem with my computer ever since I built it, I've just never really tried to do anything since now. When I'm playing any game (Saint's Row: The Third, Portal 2, etc.) or watching a movie on Netflix and such, it's just not really running smoothly. The games are still completely playable and the movies perfectly watchable, but it is sort of distracting.

My first thought was it might be my monitor, so I hooked my computer up to my HDTV and it ran almost exactly the same. I've seen a friend with a considerably worse graphics card run games much smoother than I have, even though I have around a constant 60 FPS in most games.

I'm really at a loss here, so any help would be appreciated. It's worth mentioning my TV runs movies very smoothly with my PS3 but not with my computer. System specs are as follows:

MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB
8GB RAM
i7-2700k 3.50 GHz
Seasonic Platinum 860w
EVGA Z68 FTW
Windows 7 Pro x64
Viewsonic VX2453 Series
Western Digital 1.5 TB (1.04 TB free)

namdlo

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Can you please explain with something more than "not smooth"?

Are you seeing shuttering, tearing or something else?

You've said you're seeing 60fps in games and that moves are "perfectly watchable" but you're claiming to have issues.

It could be just about anything based on your description - start with the basics...

Are your drivers up to date?
Have you verified cpu/gpu temperatures?
etc etc etc

ShadowedSun

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Sorry, should have been more clear. The issue in games is that when I'm just using the movement keys, it looks smooth, but when I'm moving the mouse/camera around, it looks slightly jerky. Same goes for movies when the camera is panning, it looks jerky unlike when watching a movie on my PS3.

My drivers are up to date.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
try disabling virtu in bios and uninstalling it if you have its software installed. it can have problems if not configured right and disabling it is a quick way to tell if its a problem.
you can try using amd steady video, its in catalyst, for the video problem.
you can make sure your video card doesnt default your monitor/tv to 50Hz. it should be 60Hz.
make sure vsync is defaulted to "off", or "off unless specified by program" the buffering can make timing problems with low fps things like video and games with settings too high.
if your more advanced and willing to adjust it. spread spectrum might be set wrong in bios. making for interference in the signal. this is a vary unlikely scenario. but possible.