Which power supply should I choose??? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SystemDown

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
So I'm planning on building my rig and I was wondering which power supply would be best for me to buy a FSP HEXA HE500 Eff>80% 500w or Thermaltake LitePower 500w?

My specs are:
Intel Core i3 3220 3.3ghz
MSI H61M-P31 H61
RipJaws 8gb 1333 (10666CL9D) 2x4
PC (HD7750-4400) (HD7770-5250) 1gb ddr5
500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
250gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Which one would be good enough and is durable enough for long time use

Solution

The FSP and TT, are much better than the CM & Diablo's
and either one will be more than enough for your system.

Tom

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Is there a specific reason you have it down to those two? I only ask because those aren't "cheap" power supplies in terms of pricing. Neither one looks to be substandard, but for that price (or less), you could do so much better. Either a Seasonic S12II 520w or M12II 520w modular, or an Antec HCG 520w modular. Here is the M12 that I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093. Seasonic makes some of the best supplies you can buy, and all three of those are the same platform. The first is non-modular, the second is modular, and the third is a rebadged modular version they supply for Antec to rebadge. Both the efficiency ratio and the noise/ripple levels are better than the models you are looking at. But, if I were to pick between the two, I would probably go with the FSP labeled unit.

4745454b

Titan
Did someone seriously just suggest Diablotek??? Can I vote to ban the account now?

I did some looking and couldn't find anything on the 500W TT, but the 450W had a couple reviews with nothing bad. FSP is usually pretty good. If you need to get one of those its probably best to just get the cheapest one. I'd keep looking cause as music said there are better and cheaper out there. At least in the states.

Certainly an entertaining thread
Ban +1 for a Diablotek reccomendation
OP; The numbers guy said it best " get the cheapest one"
Any decent 400w would easily run those specs ( 2 cards ?, still can ) , and leave plenty of reserve power

Fan of Antec myself, you can do better than the EA500 these days though

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7750 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers may overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, in an attempt to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The Corsair VS Series VS450 (CP-9020049-??), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 34 Amps and with one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition or Radeon HD 7750 graphics card.

It should be in the same price range in the Philippines as the two you've already mentioned.

http://dynaquestpc.com/index.php/components-2/power-supplies/350-460-watts/corsair-vs450-cp-9020009-450-watt-power-supply.html

No on Diablotek and Coolermaster PSU's - they are BAD!

Courtesy of johnnylucky.org Lemon List:

Cooler Master
Model Watts Problems and Issues Reviews
Elite Power 350 Lousy efficiency. Does not have two +12volt rails as advertised. No Over Current Protection as advertised. No Over Power Protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 400 Poor efficiency. Noise and ripple levels very high. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 460 Not 460 watt as advertised. Identical to Elite Power 400 watt model. No over current protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Extreme 2 475 Not 475 watt as advertised. Voltages drop below minimum allowed. Ripple and noise increase above minimum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 400 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 460 Not a 460 watt power supply as advertised. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 500 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 550 Burned during load tests. Not 550 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 500 watts. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 600 Burned during load tests. Not 600 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 450 watts. Voltages regulation out of spec. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
GX-650 650 Failed efficiency rating. Failed load testing. Medicore voltage regulation. Poor DC output quality on 3.3V rails. Outdated design. Hard OCP
GX-750 750 Cannot handle heat at 750 watts. Ripple issues on the 3.3V rail. Noise level on +3.3V and +5VSB above maximum allowed. Questionable capacitor quality. Poor Voltage Regulation. Efficiency lower than advertised. jonnyGURU, Hardware Secrets, Hardware Heaven

Diablotek
Model Watts Problems and Issues Reviews
RPM-1050 1,050 Does not meet advertised specs. Can barely do 600 watts at room temperature. Failed hot box test at 42C. Voltage regulation and ripple suppression out of spec. Cable wires too thin for 1,050 watts. Questionable quality of capacitors. jonnyGURU
PHD650 650 Failed load tests. Terrible build quality. Poor component selection. Hard OCP

Tom

LOL and agree

SystemDown

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Sorry about the misunderstanding about the video card, I'm only running one Power Color HD 7770 and the reason that i'm choosing between those two power supplies is because its cheap enough and corsair, seasonic, and other known brands of power supply are hard to find in my country and if i ever find one i'm sure that my wallet is going to cry

The FSP and TT, are much better than the CM & Diablo's
and either one will be more than enough for your system.

Tom

Solution

I did suggest a Corsair PSU in your country with a link provided in my above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.