Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Budget Workstation for Father

Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2012 11:34:07 PM

Hello, My fathers current computer he uses for work is just too old and too slow. He is an architect and uses AutoCAD, But his current pc is getting to the point that it doesn't perform simple tasks without slowing down to a crawl.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week

Budget Range: Around $650

System Usage from Most to Least Important: AutoCAD, Word Processing, Internet

Are you buying a monitor: Not Decided

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Microcenter

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Not Sure, maybe 1440x900. Might buy a new monitor.

Additional Comments: Simple, nothing flashy.

I have created a build, it just has to be refined.: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fPHY

Questions:

Is it worth it to have a professional graphics card for 2D CAD, or should i just get a low end card that supports multi monitors?

Do i need a better cpu cooler if he is in a air conditioned office?

Best solution

August 28, 2012 12:07:54 AM

Hey! Thoughts:

-Definitely get a bigger monitor - it is something tangible that he will appreciate/use for probably the next two PCs.

-You would be fine with a stock cooler on the CPU - no reason to buy a custom if you are not overclocking.

-I'm not an expert on Autocad, but I highly doubt you need a workstation GPU for it.

-Are you sure he wants a cool blue LED case? I mean, maybe he does ... but .. there are some more adult looking options too. (You don't need all the fans/cooling for a regular pc)
August 28, 2012 12:09:39 AM

Sorry, I don't have time to help you with your whole build, but it depends if your dad wants the drivers certified to work with CAD programs. If not, a gaming GPU will do just fine and you can get a much faster one for the money. Also, the CPU cooler is unnecessary since there won't be overclocking.

BTW, you can get the CPU from Microcenter for $150+tax.
http://microcenter.com/product/388579/Core_i5_3450_31GH...
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2012 12:55:53 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Hey! Thoughts:

-Definitely get a bigger monitor - it is something tangible that he will appreciate/use for probably the next two PCs.

-You would be fine with a stock cooler on the CPU - no reason to buy a custom if you are not overclocking.

-I'm not an expert on Autocad, but I highly doubt you need a workstation GPU for it.

-Are you sure he wants a cool blue LED case? I mean, maybe he does ... but .. there are some more adult looking options too. (You don't need all the fans/cooling for a regular pc)

The monitor really isn't up to me, ill try and persuade him to get a larger screen that is 16x9 or 16x10.

With the case, i just picked a simple case. but i am looking at other cases that are cheaper.
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:02:22 AM

fb39ca4 said:
Sorry, I don't have time to help you with your whole build, but it depends if your dad wants the drivers certified to work with CAD programs. If not, a gaming GPU will do just fine and you can get a much faster one for the money. Also, the CPU cooler is unnecessary since there won't be overclocking.

BTW, you can get the CPU from Microcenter for $150+tax.
http://microcenter.com/product/388579/Core_i5_3450_31GH...

I am not sure weather or not to get the graphics card, he was previously using a Pentium 4 and integrated graphics. So anything will make a night and day difference.

I am buying everything from Microcenter, but i am using pcpartpicker to price check so can get everything cheaper.
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:03:00 AM

A 3570K comes with $50 off the mobo, so it ends up being cheaper than the 3450.
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:19:49 AM

obsama1 said:
A 3570K comes with $50 off the mobo, so it ends up being cheaper than the 3450.

Thats a great deal, thanks.
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:25:15 AM

Quote:
I would go with a professional graphics card. The v4900 FirePro should be fine and its affordable.

Microcenter doesn't carry FirePro cards, and my father likes to have everything in store so he can replace items quickly and get back to work. Instead of waiting for RMA's that can take weeks.
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:27:21 AM

Microcenter does pricematch Newegg on GPU's. Just print out the product page on the day of your visit and they'll pricematch it. That being said, go for the 7850, but if that's out of budget, the 6870.
m
l
August 28, 2012 2:07:29 AM

obsama1 said:
Microcenter does pricematch Newegg on GPU's. Just print out the product page on the day of your visit and they'll pricematch it. That being said, go for the 7850, but if that's out of budget, the 6870.

I have a 7850, great for gaming, :lol:  your dad wont get anything done!! Also back in the UK they use to be £180 but now their £150 so they have had a price drop :)  Not so good for me tho
m
l
August 28, 2012 2:31:05 PM

If you are not sure if he will need a graphic card ... that is the easiest thing to stick in later. All you really have to do is open the case and pop it in.

If hes upgrading from a P4, it seems pretty unlikely that he needs the power of a professional card. New intel integrated graphics are vastly better and im betting autocad is mostly processor limited anyhow.
m
l
August 28, 2012 2:47:38 PM

Even the 6450 is better than HD 4K. A cheap 6450, 6570, or 6670 would be good for this rig.
m
l
August 28, 2012 3:44:55 PM

7850 for cad? are you serious? what is this a 3dsmax model of a 40 story building? to scale?
m
l
September 4, 2012 12:01:44 AM

Best answer selected by italiasian.
m
l
September 4, 2012 1:52:11 PM

Thanks! Let us know how it goes!
m
l
!