meister4ever

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello toms community, i hope you are doing great,

I was hoping to find some help in a buying decision i have to make, due to a credit of 509 dollars amazon will deposit for a refund of a faulty gtx 680:

PS3+Move (i already own a xbox 360 and a wii)
+ HD 6950 (or equivalent)

Comment: i'm really interested in move and i have 2 move controllers which i received for free.

OR

GTX 670/hd 7970/gtx 680?

I play skyrim on my intel 2500k with 4.5ghz (just for now i haven't tweaked that much the bios for now) with the integrated intel hd3000 (8gb of very good Kingston memory, OCZ vertex 3 120 gb etc).

The graphics of course on my integrated graphics card and the framerates are very poor...

But i guess an hd6950 is enough for skyrim and newest games?

Solution
I'd pass on the Move. I have Move for my PS3 and while it is a lot more than a "rubbish version of the wii" it has not been supported as well as I had hoped. Comparing move to a Wii controller is like comparing a economy car to a Ferrari. Both are cars but the Ferrari does so much more. Same with the Wii controller and PS3 Move, one gets the job done, the other gets the job done with a lot more features and accuracy. Anyone who says different has never actually used both systems.

Now with that said, there are not many games that use Move. There are a lot of shovelware titles and a few AAA titles that have Move functionality but to me it's not enough. If you are really, really interested in Little Big Planet 2 or maybe...

gigantor21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
The Move, as Slow stated, is an uninspired Wii knockoff, so you won't be missing much. I have a PS3 and skipped that nonsense entirely.

In general? There are very few PS3 exclusives worth buying one for when you already have an Xbox. If there aren't any specific games on PS3 that you desperately want, I'd just stick with the better graphics card myself. Or get the 6950 and use the rest of the money on other upgrades or more games.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
my opinion, move might be fun at first, just like the wii was but the novelty wears off. Depends on you, are you going to be playing move games in a year from now? The gpu you'll buy will most likely last longer and give you more value.

Could settle for a gtx 560ti 448 core which will play skyrim just fine and have enough to buy a ps3 :) Get the move controllers later.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I'd go for a 7850/70 over the last gen stuff, but I haven't really done any comparisons myself.

Unless there are a lot of sony exclusives you are itching to play (which there are a reasonable number of good ones) you probably won't get much out of the PS3, though I know nothing about the move other than it being a wiimote clone, I would expect it's not really worth buying a PS3 for. You'd probably get better value selling the move stuff you have.

I would agree that the 680/670 route maybe overkill, depending on what settings you want to play at, but if you use it for a long time it'd be worth it (same can be said for the amd route), but why not save the excess rather than trying to spend it all?

Elwenil

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I'd pass on the Move. I have Move for my PS3 and while it is a lot more than a "rubbish version of the wii" it has not been supported as well as I had hoped. Comparing move to a Wii controller is like comparing a economy car to a Ferrari. Both are cars but the Ferrari does so much more. Same with the Wii controller and PS3 Move, one gets the job done, the other gets the job done with a lot more features and accuracy. Anyone who says different has never actually used both systems.

Now with that said, there are not many games that use Move. There are a lot of shovelware titles and a few AAA titles that have Move functionality but to me it's not enough. If you are really, really interested in Little Big Planet 2 or maybe something like SOCOM 4 or Killzone 3 with Move then it can be worth a try. The shooters take a lot of getting used to with Move but if you can get into it, it's a lot quicker than a controller in most circumstances. Unfortunately, SOCOM 4 was a bomb and Killzone 3 has been out for quite a while so they are not exactly "must have" titles today.

My advice is that if you want a PS3, get one, but I'd spend the money on some of the PS3's great exclusives before I spent it on Move. Move is interesting and fun to play with for a few weeks but it does lose it's charm after a while. Not because it doesn't work, because it works fantastically and so far is the most reliable of the 3 console motion controllers, but like all motion controls today, it's a novelty and certainly not something that is absolutely needed to have a good time with your gaming console. The cash will be much better spent on some great games.

Just my .02

Solution

meister4ever

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for your answer, hehe with yours i have 6 answers stating that the move is not worth it, and as you own the move i appreciate very much your confirmation. SOCOM 4 or Killzone 3 will be worth to give it a try, but as BF3, shooters are fun but after a while you end up bored of them. I spent weeks playing battlefield 3 on the xbox 360 though, but... as there is no content other than playing some missions or getting new weapons/vehicle abilities... I really love to play games full of content like skyrim or some RPG's.

Also i do like some ps3 arcade games. Sometimes to play with friends/girlfriend also. For that purpose the wii is very good (casual gaming), but as graphics are so bad i end up tired of the same crappy textures over and over again.

the 680/670 route maybe overkill i agree, in skyrim at max settings (with the gtx 680) i was getting insane framerates like 180 sometimes... i don't really need.. i play in 1080p non 3d monitor.

So for now i will be selling the move controllers, and thinking if a GTX 670 is an overkill for 1080p.

I believe that as DjScribbles said, maybe i should save the rest of the money for something else, and i could also sell my wii... as i don't use it anymore.

GodlessGamer

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
id say pc all the way. I only use my ps3 for online games, where graphics dont matter nearly as much as the skill of using a controller which i've been familiar with for a decade. if you play skyrim you will be so happy the first time you stroll into whiterun with maxed out graphics, it will be like a new game trust me.
yeah ps3 move is pointless if you have a wii. give it a week and it will collect dust. go be dovakiin in full graphical detail my friend

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Well, if you're a big gamer, I'd say PC is better in every respect. I got a gaming PC in december and have barely touched my PS3 since. The graphics are far superior, BF3 on the PC at ultra settings looks like a next gen game. FPS games are simply far superior with the mouse control, even most shooters in general are better. Consoles are far superior in any sports game, besides golf. I also miss the controller for vibrating function, and controllers are very simple and easy to use. Go with the 670 you won't regret it.

On an unrelated note, if you are getting over 100 frames a second it's probably a good idea to turn vsync on. I never notice an screen tearing unless Im getting insane fps.

simianchild

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I'd go for the gtx670, its what I've got and I'm very happy with it (the rest of my rig is almost exactly the same as yours). I've also got a PS3 and find it to have the best exclusives (I also have a Wii and 360), as for the Move same as everyone says you will get bored of it very quickly.

On a side note Sony did not copy Nintendo with the Move, they were in fact first to market with motion controls (PS2's Playstation Eye) and Move works in an entirely different and much more accurate way, with the camera tracking the controller in 3 dimensional space (the Move) as opposed to infer red tracking in 2 dimensional space (a la Wii). Just sayin...