Gaming Mechanical Keyboard & Mouse suggestions???

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Hey everyone,

Just after a few suggestions on some Mechanical KB's and a gaming mouse. I've read lots of reviews on dozens of them but I can't make up my mind, so has anyone got a recommendation from using or owning one, or one you know is very very good???
I play a mixture of FPS, MMO and RPG games,
These are the 2 sites I would like to get them from,
My budget is £150 for both,
I need a backlit KB as I play at night with the lights off,
Mech Cherry "RED" keys,
Need at least 7 buttons on the mouse.

Keyboards - http://www.dabs.com/category/computing,pc-peripherals,keyboards-and-mice/11117-4294943293-375510000-4294960288-4294960287?q=mechanical&sw=1
Mice - http://www.dabs.com/category/computing,pc-peripherals,keyboards-and-mice/11117-4294943293-41970000-4294960288-4294960287

Keyboards and Mice - http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/keyboards-mice/pc-gaming-keyboards/pc-gaming-mice-mouse

So anyone recommend any??? Please I really need some advice.
Thanks to all

http://www.dabs.com/category/computing,pc-peripherals,keyboards-and-mice/11117-42410000?q=mechanical%20keyboard&sw=1 anything on this page other than razor keyboards are worth checking out...
i have a q-pad mk 85 and yeah its a nice keyboard, also the rat 7 contagion.
and i like em both...
i would say if you like pam mice then the anker high precision laser mouse is worth look. you wont get that kind of performance for x2 and even x3 the price( of £19.99). you really will have to spend a lot more money to get a mouse that tracks as well as that 1.

actually theres little to tell the filco keyboards apart from say the qpad mk50 they are pretty much identical internally. use the same cherry key types, have the same poll rate and overall build quality. the only difference is the price.
filco and q-pad keyboards have full nkro (full keyboard roll over or anti ghost) but the q pad can up its game with backlighting which filco dont do.
i agree they are great keyboards but for me the backlighting is fairly important as i game in a darkened room and dont touch type.

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Yeah I had looked at the QPAD MK-85 but if I'm honest I'm very new to PC gaming and I hadn't heard of QPAD so I was unsure about it. But it looks and sounds amazing and has very good reviews. Although just one question, am I right in thinking that the "only" difference between the MK-50 and MK-85 is that the 85 has a few programmable keys and is backlit??? Because there is a huge price difference, the MK-85 is basically double the price :-o Just wondered if there is anything else that the 85 has over the 50 to warrant an extra £55, I thought maybe I missed something in the descriptions.

Regarding the mouse, I'm very unsure about any of the RAT's, I have heard some good comments about them, but a "lot" of bad as well. I was actually looking at the Corsair M90 as it seemed to be really well made and lots of buttons for games like Skyrim, but again I've been reading reviews saying half the buttons are unusable as they're small and in awkward places :-\ So at the moment I'm stumped on the mouse side of things, any other suggestions of any good mice???

Thanks guys

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Sorry, what do you mean by "60"???
WOW! So there really is just a few extra buttons and some LED's and it's double the price :eek:

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

D'oh! What a muppet, course you meant "M60" :whistle: Yeah I had also looked at that, but the thing that put me off was the, "Sniper button" which temporarily lowers the mouse DPI, which if I remember correctly wouldn't that slow the movement speed??? And as I will be playing a lot of games like Skyrim and AC3 more so than FPS's I'm not sure, that might be more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Regarding the QPAD MK50/85, I'm reading up on those now and they really do look great, I guess I just need to decide whether I can justify the extra £55 just for some backlights. :??:

JustAnotherNoob

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Yes, you did miss a couple of differences between the QPAD MK-50 and MK-85.
MK-85 has 2 USB 2.0 ports, headphone and mic passthrough, internal memory for keyboard profiles/makros and backlighting.
Actually it does not have separate makro keys like many other gaming keyboards, makros are started by pressing custom key combinations (imho a rather useless system for macros...).
MK-50 is the barebones version.
MK-80 is the middle-of-the-road version with all the features the MK-85 has except the makro/internal memory. The downside here is that the keyboard cannot store the backlighting brightness.

xanderlane

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I have the Razer Orochi mouse. It can be wired or Bluetooth connected, but when it is wired it has a 1ms response time (8ms in Bluetooth mode). And there are 2 additional buttons on each side which you can program to do whatever. And it's only $40. Just a suggestion.

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Sorry for all the questions and I don't want to sound like a complete derp, but when you say "Not too easy to activate by accident" do you mean just don't press it if not playing an FPS, or does it only lower the DPI if you activate it, by lets say double tabbing it or holding another button down at the same time???

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Oh ok. Thanks for your help really appreciate it.

Unless anyone else has any other suggestions I think I'm going to go for the QPAD MK-85 because it has brilliant reviews and I need a backlit KB.
But I'm still not sure about the mouse, I do like the Corsair M60 but I'm not 100% on it so I'm open to some more suggestions???

xanderlane

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Yes, I have seen that that is how it goes for their mid range priced ($100-$200) products. I have had Razer Electra headphones for a while now and they still work perfectly well.

Unless you're excluding their headphones, of course.

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
dpi altering buttons are useless and of course they dont change the fps, lol. they do exactly what they say they do, changing the dpi, therefore making your mouse "slower". no time for that stuff in competitive play and it makes no sense anyway. you wont need a lot of mousebuttons in shooters and you dont need to be fast in all other games. so just go into your next store and check which mouse best fits your hand. im fine with the roccat kova+ atm(im a "claw" player). if its not a supercheap-noname one nor a razer(crap build quality) --> buy it. keyboard just go with cherry reds and a known brand. with backlid, hand support, programmable keys and your budget the choice is probably very small anyway ;)

actually the info is slightly off. it does remember the brightness settings. they made a few adjustments since launch.
still its 1 of the better keyboards out there atm. the roccat is pretty much just another g19(older logitech keyboard) lots of bells and whistles that adds nothing and will often impede performance for most users. its very pretty but the fact it has an option to have up to 2 cpu's inside means it will have some delay from you pressing a key to the computer receiving it. it may well work for gaming but general use could be a bit of a pain...
also dont expect it to be anywhere near cheap. the qpads retail price is actualy 150 not the 100 its selling for on some sites and if you compare it in features to the roccat you can see theres a lot more internal hardware between the user and the pc. all of which costs money. my guess is it will be a must have keyboard untill its found out to be other wise. like the razor black widow...

exactly... my mk 85 is the cherry red version. problem is i came from the logitech g11 dome keys which needed a lot more preasure. end result i spent the first 2 weeks battering the keys and its been 6 months and i still occasionally do it.
1 other thing. i dont even use the macro system. i dont do mmo's so theres no need for it. so the keyboard works well even without the software which is the best thing about it. its a keyboard and nothing else...