Hotkeys for Internet Shortcuts

I have a few internet shortcuts that I've carried over from previous OS's
that I assigned hotkeys to. If I remember correctly, the properties sheet
behaved in much the same way as any other shortcut properties.
However, in XPSP2, right clicking on the shortcut provides no means to
assign a hotkey. The "carried over" shortcuts work, but new shortcuts seem
to be without means to assign the hotkey (ctrl+alt+key).
Is there a way to accomplish this in XPSP2 without resorting to 3rd party
apps?

Thanks,
mxh

you already posted this.

"mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Vpdze.44445$rb6.37263@lakeread07...
>I have a few internet shortcuts that I've carried over from previous OS's
> that I assigned hotkeys to. If I remember correctly, the properties sheet
> behaved in much the same way as any other shortcut properties.
> However, in XPSP2, right clicking on the shortcut provides no means to
> assign a hotkey. The "carried over" shortcuts work, but new shortcuts seem
> to be without means to assign the hotkey (ctrl+alt+key).
> Is there a way to accomplish this in XPSP2 without resorting to 3rd party
> apps?
>
> Thanks,
> mxh

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
you already posted this.

Yes, I posted this in windowsxp.general, to which I received no reply, thus
the post in this group, but perhaps you'll expound upon the point of your
response, given that it provides absolutely no contextual value...

"mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a few internet shortcuts that I've carried over from previous OS's
> that I assigned hotkeys to. If I remember correctly, the properties sheet
> behaved in much the same way as any other shortcut properties.
> However, in XPSP2, right clicking on the shortcut provides no means to
> assign a hotkey. The "carried over" shortcuts work, but new shortcuts seem
> to be without means to assign the hotkey (ctrl+alt+key).
> Is there a way to accomplish this in XPSP2 without resorting to 3rd party
> apps?
>
> Thanks,
> mxh

Noone else answer it as people have already spent time on this idiot.

Noone else answer it as people have already spent time on this idiot.

Really??? Given that you are the only response to this post (and no
you refer to?
Perhaps in the attempt, you'll recognize the error of your ways and make the
effort to submit a helpful response instead of pre-adolescent remarks and
virtual blackballing.

mxh

"mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a few internet shortcuts that I've carried over from previous OS's
> that I assigned hotkeys to. If I remember correctly, the properties sheet
> behaved in much the same way as any other shortcut properties.
> However, in XPSP2, right clicking on the shortcut provides no means to
> assign a hotkey. The "carried over" shortcuts work, but new shortcuts seem
> to be without means to assign the hotkey (ctrl+alt+key).
> Is there a way to accomplish this in XPSP2 without resorting to 3rd party
> apps?
>
> Thanks,
> mxh

Well I and others answered you in general. I in fact asked you a qiuestion, that was after writing you a program to see if I could trick it (it didn't work).. So you used up 1/2 an hour of my time. Piss off

"mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%klze.44494$rb6.39216@lakeread07...

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Noone else answer it as people have already spent time on this idiot.
>

> Really??? Given that you are the only response to this post (and no
> you refer to?
> Perhaps in the attempt, you'll recognize the error of your ways and make the
> effort to submit a helpful response instead of pre-adolescent remarks and
> virtual blackballing.
>

> mxh

> "mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have a few internet shortcuts that I've carried over from previous OS's
>> that I assigned hotkeys to. If I remember correctly, the properties sheet
>> behaved in much the same way as any other shortcut properties.
>> However, in XPSP2, right clicking on the shortcut provides no means to
>> assign a hotkey. The "carried over" shortcuts work, but new shortcuts seem
>> to be without means to assign the hotkey (ctrl+alt+key).
>> Is there a way to accomplish this in XPSP2 without resorting to 3rd party
>> apps?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> mxh

is my reply (3rd of 3 replies you got).

> is my reply (3rd of 3 replies you got).

As you can see from the below link, you have NOT replied to my message in
XP.general:

http://tinyurl.com/avxu5

If you'll investigate the link you provided, you'll see that you've
responded to posts by "wondersue". Your responses to my posts, however, have
only contained insults.

Now that that is cleared up, do you have any helpful suggestions? I'll be
happy to provide any further information required (if you can restrain
yourself from calling me an idiot, that is...)

Also, please note that "wondersue's" post was regarding web shortcuts that
no longer work, while my post regards hotkeys for internet shortcuts, i.e.,
ctrl+alt+key for a designated website.

Thanks,
mxh (NOT wondersue)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Well I and others answered you in general. I in fact asked you a qiuestion,
that was after writing you a program to see if I could trick it (it didn't
work).. So you used up 1/2 an hour of my time. Piss off

"mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Noone else answer it as people have already spent time on this idiot.
>

> Really??? Given that you are the only response to this post (and no
> posts
> you refer to?
> Perhaps in the attempt, you'll recognize the error of your ways and make
> the
> effort to submit a helpful response instead of pre-adolescent remarks and
> virtual blackballing.
>

> mxh

> "mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have a few internet shortcuts that I've carried over from previous OS's
>> that I assigned hotkeys to. If I remember correctly, the properties sheet
>> behaved in much the same way as any other shortcut properties.
>> However, in XPSP2, right clicking on the shortcut provides no means to
>> assign a hotkey. The "carried over" shortcuts work, but new shortcuts
>> seem
>> to be without means to assign the hotkey (ctrl+alt+key).
>> Is there a way to accomplish this in XPSP2 without resorting to 3rd party
>> apps?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> mxh

I'm deeply suspicious. Two posts on the same day saying the same thing? And they are not common questions.

Create a shortcut to a file. Edit that shortcut to point to an Internet Shortcut. That will give you hotkeys. The programatic interface enforces the rules (though if you get around the rules it works). There are 19 million versions of a program called shortcut.exe, the only ones on my hard drive don't support hotkeys. But I've had sucess with different versions in making them just do what you tell it rather than it deciding not too do it as the GUI does.

The rules are stupid anyway. Ctrl + Alt is not a key suited to hotkeys (as it enters international characters) yet it's all that is allowed. It allows F12 but F12 is a reserved key (for attaching external debuggers).

> I'm deeply suspicious.

But not very observant, I'm afraid.

> Two posts on the same day saying the same thing? And they are not
> common questions.

Let's examine that, shall we?

MY POST pertained to **HOTKEYS** for internet shortcuts, i.e., pressing
ctrl+alt+key to bring up a specified web site. Pretty clear, right? IOW,
***keyboard shortcuts***.

"WONDERSUE" 's post pertained to shortcuts for designated web sites THAT NO
LONGER WORK. She further asks for guidance on how to restore these
shortcuts, but ***SHE MENTIONS NOTHING ABOUT HOTKEYS***.

Forgive the caps, but given that you've been off track for this entire
thread, I felt the emphasis necessary. I can quote from "wondersue"'s post
if you like, but with a little care in reading on your part, it's doubtful
further evidence will be required.

Now, onto your suggestion.

> Create a shortcut to a file. Edit that shortcut to point to an Internet
> Shortcut. That will give you hotkeys. The programatic interface enforces
> the rules (though if you get around the rules it works). There are 19
> million > versions of a program called shortcut.exe, the only ones on my
> hard drive
> don't support hotkeys. But I've had sucess with different versions in
> making them just do what you tell it rather than it deciding not too do it
> as
> the GUI does.

I tried your suggestion as is and with several variations to no avail. Just
wouldn't take. I have, however, discovered a method by which what I wish to
do can be easily accomplished with a text editor, so your failure to
ascertain the actual context of my post actually pushed me into solving an
annoyance that had been with me for quite some time:

Creating Hotkeys For Internet Shortcuts:

1) Create the internet shortcut

2) Open the shortcut in a text editor such as notepad (I have notepad on my
"Send To" menu, so a right click on the shortcut will open it in notepad)

3) Under " [ Internet Shortcut ] ", type the line "Hotkey=16nn", where 'nn'
is a number from 01 to 26, each number representing the corresponding letter
in the alphabet, i.e., 1604 would be D, so your shortcut would be
"ctrl+alt+D".

4) Save the file and your set. If your hotkey doesn't work, try logging off
and back on.

The example below is for a shortcut to Google's advanced search page. The
hotkey combo is "ctrl+alt+g":

--------------------------------
[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
Modified=50E3BC11AA11C3017F
Hotkey=1607
--------------------------------

Fairly straight forward, don't you think?

What I haven't determined as of yet is the mapping for a number in a combo,
such as "ctrl+alt+6". Any help with that?

We *are* past that nasty mistaken identity thing, right?

Thanks,
mxh

> The rules are stupid anyway. Ctrl + Alt is not a key suited to hotkeys (as
> it > enters international characters) yet it's all that is allowed. It
> allows F12
> but F12 is a reserved key (for attaching external debuggers).

"mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>
>> is my reply (3rd of 3 replies you got).
>
> As you can see from the below link, you have NOT replied to my message in
> XP.general:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/avxu5
>

> If you'll investigate the link you provided, you'll see that you've
> responded to posts by "wondersue". Your responses to my posts, however,
> have
> only contained insults.
>
> Now that that is cleared up, do you have any helpful suggestions? I'll be
> happy to provide any further information required (if you can restrain
> yourself from calling me an idiot, that is...)
>
> Also, please note that "wondersue's" post was regarding web shortcuts that
> no longer work, while my post regards hotkeys for internet shortcuts,
> i.e.,
> ctrl+alt+key for a designated website.
>
> Thanks,
> mxh (NOT wondersue)

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Well I and others answered you in general. I in fact asked you a
> qiuestion,
> that was after writing you a program to see if I could trick it (it didn't
> work).. So you used up 1/2 an hour of my time. Piss off

> "mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> Noone else answer it as people have already spent time on this idiot.
>>

>> Really??? Given that you are the only response to this post (and no
>> posts
>> you refer to?
>> Perhaps in the attempt, you'll recognize the error of your ways and make
>> the
>> effort to submit a helpful response instead of pre-adolescent remarks and
>> virtual blackballing.
>>

>> mxh
>>

>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a few internet shortcuts that I've carried over from previous OS's
>>> that I assigned hotkeys to. If I remember correctly, the properties
>>> sheet
>>> behaved in much the same way as any other shortcut properties.
>>> However, in XPSP2, right clicking on the shortcut provides no means to
>>> assign a hotkey. The "carried over" shortcuts work, but new shortcuts
>>> seem
>>> to be without means to assign the hotkey (ctrl+alt+key).
>>> Is there a way to accomplish this in XPSP2 without resorting to 3rd
>>> party
>>> apps?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> mxh

I should mention that in order for these hotkeys to work, a folder **must**
be created under the Start menu to contain any shortcuts you wish to assign
the hotkeys for (i.e., C:\Documents and Settings\John Doe\Start Menu\Hotkey
Shortcuts).

mxh

> Creating Hotkeys For Internet Shortcuts:
>
> 1) Create the internet shortcut
>
> 2) Open the shortcut in a text editor such as notepad (I have notepad on
> my "Send To" menu, so a right click on the shortcut will open it in
> notepad)
>
> 3) Under " [ Internet Shortcut ] ", type the line "Hotkey=16nn", where
> 'nn' is a number from 01 to 26, each number representing the corresponding
> letter in the alphabet, i.e., 1604 would be D, so your shortcut would be
> "ctrl+alt+D".
>
> 4) Save the file and your set. If your hotkey doesn't work, try logging
> off and back on.
>
> The example below is for a shortcut to Google's advanced search page. The
> hotkey combo is "ctrl+alt+g":
>
> --------------------------------
> [DEFAULT]
> BASEURL=http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
> [InternetShortcut]
> URL=http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
> Modified=50E3BC11AA11C3017F
> Hotkey=1607
> --------------------------------

I don't know. You send the function
<modifier><keystroke>

Except keystroke is 0x44 (68) for D and modifier is 0x6 (6) for Ctrl + Alt

If set to a function key then it is the virtual key code, eg F11 is 0x7a (122) with no modifier and 122 is written to the Internet Shortcut.

So I can't see how 1604 maps to 0668. Except 16 is a virtual key for shift but 04 is the middle mouse button.
"mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MkIze.44561$rb6.37676@lakeread07...

> [...]
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> Well I and others answered you in general. I in fact asked you a
>> qiuestion,
>> that was after writing you a program to see if I could trick it (it didn't
>> work).. So you used up 1/2 an hour of my time. Piss off
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> Noone else answer it as people have already spent time on this idiot.
>>>

>>> Really??? Given that you are the only response to this post (and no
>>> posts
>>> you refer to?
>>> Perhaps in the attempt, you'll recognize the error of your ways and make
>>> the
>>> effort to submit a helpful response instead of pre-adolescent remarks and

Desktop or Start Menu or any sub folder of the above.

Desktop or Start Menu or any sub folder of the above.

Yes, but a sub folder of Desktop deposits another item *on* the desktop,
whereas the Startmenu subfolder handily hides the folder.