help with rotation issue

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 12, 2005 2:15:27 PM

Hi,
when I import my dig picts from canon rebel dig via cf reader the
portraits are automatically turned upright in photoshop and bridge.
But they remain sideways in explorer and thus also in the photo slide
program i send them too.

Whats the best way to automate a whole folder to turn 90deg? I trided
an action in photoshop cs2 but it keeps stopping at the jpeg
compression 'ok' step for each.

Thanks,
Jack

More about : rotation issue

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:49:17 PM

I'd use ACDSEE (select a group of files and select Tools / JPEG
Rotate)...

But I'm sure that th Photoshop you could create an Action and apply it
to the whole folder.

I don't use Irfanview personally, but I would expect it would have the
same functionality, and it's free.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:32:23 PM

Interesting; I wasn't aware that ACDSee rotate was lossy; I thought it
just remapped each pixel in the image to the new orientation.
September 12, 2005 8:21:06 PM

thanks, i read somewhere here that canons zoombrowser that came with
my camera does this losslessly. Since I already had it installed i
tried it and it seems to work fine. Not sure is degraded? grossly
looks ok.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:28:01 AM

You don't want to do this! If you rotate them all you will resave as a JPG
and that degrades them...then if you edit them they degrade again.

The reason that Photoshop and bridge show them rotated is that they just
remember that you want them rotated...they don't actually do it.

I have heard that some programs can rotate without loss...don't know which
ones.

In bridge you can select all that you want rotated and mark them and
rotate...Photoshop will load them rotated.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
"laj" <me@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> when I import my dig picts from canon rebel dig via cf reader the
> portraits are automatically turned upright in photoshop and bridge.
> But they remain sideways in explorer and thus also in the photo slide
> program i send them too.
>
> Whats the best way to automate a whole folder to turn 90deg? I trided
> an action in photoshop cs2 but it keeps stopping at the jpeg
> compression 'ok' step for each.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:28:02 AM

Gene Palmiter wrote:
> You don't want to do this! If you rotate them all you will resave as
> a JPG and that degrades them...then if you edit them they degrade
> again.
> The reason that Photoshop and bridge show them rotated is that they
> just remember that you want them rotated...they don't actually do
> it.
>
> I have heard that some programs can rotate without loss...don't know
> which ones.
>
> In bridge you can select all that you want rotated and mark them and
> rotate...Photoshop will load them rotated.

Look under "Options" in Irfanview.

>> Hi,
>> when I import my dig picts from canon rebel dig via cf reader the
>> portraits are automatically turned upright in photoshop and bridge.
>> But they remain sideways in explorer and thus also in the photo
>> slide
>> program i send them too.
>>
>> Whats the best way to automate a whole folder to turn 90deg? I
>> trided
>> an action in photoshop cs2 but it keeps stopping at the jpeg
>> compression 'ok' step for each.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jack
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:13:17 AM

"BD" <bobby_dread@hotmail.com> writes:
>Interesting; I wasn't aware that ACDSee rotate was lossy; I thought it
>just remapped each pixel in the image to the new orientation.

With something like a TIF image file, reading and rotating it in an
ordinary image editor (and ACDSee is probably the same) is lossless.
But JPEG images are lossily compressed, and the image file doesn't
contain individual pixels, just coefficients that can be used to
reconstruct an approximation to the original image. Rotating a JPEG
image with a normal editor means decompressing it into a bitmap,
rotating the bitmap, and then lossily compressing it again. This loses
some information.

To avoid this, there are specialized JPEG rotation functions in some
programs (like Irfanview). These work by rotating the compressed
coefficients, without ever decompressing or recompressing. Thus, there
is no (additional) loss.

Dave
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:35:11 PM

>>> I have heard that some programs can rotate without loss...don't know
>>> which ones.
>>
>>Picture Information Extractor (PIE):
>> http://www.picmeta.com/
>>
>>Paint Shop Pro (in certain modes):
>> http://www.corel.com/
>>
>>JPEGcrop (I think):
>> http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/
>>
>>David

And my own (free) PhotoMan
(http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sheppard/photoman/hom...). Frankly I
think it's pretty disgraceful that there are packages around which _don't_
do lossless rotation.

Keith
September 16, 2005 2:42:06 AM

With XP you can select all, right click on them and choose rotate CW
or CCW.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:15:27 -0700, laj <me@home.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>when I import my dig picts from canon rebel dig via cf reader the
>portraits are automatically turned upright in photoshop and bridge.
>But they remain sideways in explorer and thus also in the photo slide
>program i send them too.
>
>Whats the best way to automate a whole folder to turn 90deg? I trided
>an action in photoshop cs2 but it keeps stopping at the jpeg
>compression 'ok' step for each.
>
>Thanks,
>Jack
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:05:32 PM

laj wrote:

> when I import my dig picts from canon rebel dig via cf reader the
> portraits are automatically turned upright in photoshop and bridge.
> But they remain sideways in explorer and thus also in the photo slide
> program i send them too.
>
> Whats the best way to automate a whole folder to turn 90deg?

You might want to try XnView. It's a free image viewer (actually, pretty
much an ACDSee clone) with rudimentary image processing functions -
including lossless JPEG rotation based on EXIF "Orientation" field and
an IPTC editor. (Yes, it also rotates the EXIF thumbnails and corrects
the EXIF "Width" and "Height" fields.)

XnView can be downloaded here:

<http://www.xnview.com/&gt;

See <http://www.saunalahti.fi/znark/xnview.png&gt; for a screenshot.

XnView will display images automatically in their correct orientation,
but images which are rotated this way (on the fly) have a small arrow
symbol on them, indicating that the actual image data in the file has
not (yet) been rotated.

In order to rotate a whole directory full of pictures automatically,
select all images (Ctrl+A), click on the "JPEG Lossless Transformations"
toolbar button, and then click the "EXIF" button on the dialog that will
pop up. (You might also want to make sure that the option "Reset EXIF
orientation value" is checked in the same dialog.) Once you have done
this, all images have lost their little arrow symbols, and will now
display correctly in Windows Explorer, too.

A helpful tip: you might want to change the thumbnail area width and
height to (exactly) 160 pixels in the settings, since EXIF thumbnails
(produced by the camera, embedded into the image file) are usually
stored in a 160×120 pixel format. This way XnView will display the
embedded EXIF thumbnails in their native resolution, without scaling.

--
znark
!