Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which power supply ?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 11, 2013 12:19:42 PM

So I am looking for a 650watt psu, price doesn't matter.

I keep finding ones like seasonic x series and ax series from corsair but they all have problems like fan whirling nosie ect..

Is there any psu out there that is solid and just works.

More about : power supply

a c 260 ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 12:34:52 PM

shaunw50 said:
So I am looking for a 650watt psu, price doesn't matter.

I keep finding ones like seasonic x series and ax series from corsair but they all have problems like fan whirling nosie ect..

Is there any psu out there that is solid and just works.


Hi - the Seasonic X-650 is about the quietest PSU
there is. The fan is a high quality Japanese PWM
unit that runs only when needed and that's not often.

Tom
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 12:52:17 PM

The seasonic X-650 is a good choice and very quiet.
Related resources
January 11, 2013 1:08:22 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - the Seasonic X-650 is about the quietest PSU
there is. The fan is a high quality Japanese PWM
unit that runs only when needed and that's not often.

Tom


I just keep hearing problems on it about whining noises ect..
January 11, 2013 1:11:18 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - the Seasonic X-650 is about the quietest PSU
there is. The fan is a high quality Japanese PWM
unit that runs only when needed and that's not often.

Tom


The noise I am talking about is coil whine.
a c 260 ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 1:18:03 PM

shaunw50 said:
The noise I am talking about is coil whine.


That would be a rarity for the x-650, mine has been super quiet
and super performing since the day I got it.
a c 260 ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 1:25:57 PM

shaunw50 said:
The noise I am talking about is coil whine.


jonnyguru is the top review site for PSU's, here are some of the things
he had to say in his review:
• "Seasonic Patented DC Connector Module with Integrated VRM * [Voltage Regulator Module]
This patented full modular design minimizes voltage drop and impedance, maximizes efficiency and enhances the overall performance for cooling and reliability. *Patent Pending: US, CN, JP, TW & DE
-Impedance? I think the word you want there is "resistance," Seasonic. Impedance is a function of AC power, not DC.
o Benefits:
 Minimizes resistance and voltage drop to maximize efficiency.
 Consolidates and minimizes component useage to create space to improve airflow for better heat dissipation & cooling.
 Extensive use of Al & SMD automation reduces human error and improves reliability.
 Simple & ingenious design for a clean layout achieves unsurpassed quality and performance.
• 80 Plus® Gold Certified
At least 87%, 90%, 87% efficient at 20%, 50% and 100% operating loads, respectively.
-We'll have to see in the load testing part of the review how well this unit does in meeting these targets.
• Seasonic Patented "Hybrid Silent Fan Control" *
An industry first, advanced 3 phased (Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode.) thermal control balances between silence and cooling. *Patent Pending: US, CN, JP, TW & DE
-I'm not sure about this one. We've seen fanless before, and we've seen operation that ramps up the fan according to temperature before too. What's new and different here, exactly, that needs patenting?
• Sanyo Denki - San Ace PWM Silent Fan
The superb high-grade San Ace Pulse Width Modulation fan pairs perfectly with the Hybrid Silent Fan control circuit for super low noise & cooling performance.
-Interesting... I'm not sure fanless operation has been done with a PWM fan before. Maybe that's what they're patenting.
o Benefits:
 Reduces noise without increase in temperature.
 Extends fan life by eliminating unnecessary rotation.
 Optimizes heat dissipation at all times.
 Fanless mode (0 dBA) provides unsurpassed silent performance.
• Active Power Factor Correction [99% PF Typical]
Reduces line loss and power distortion.
• Highly Reliable 105°C Japanese Brand Capacitors
Exceptionally reliable components extend product life.
• Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors
Enhanced stability at severe operating conditions.
• Tight Voltage Regulation [±3%]
• High +12V Output
• Dual Sided PCB Layout
• 5 Years Warranty
• Full Modular Cabling
• Universal AC Input [Full Range]
• Multi-GPU Technologies Supported
• Patented Easy Swap Connector
• All-in-One DC Cabling Design

Hello? Is this thing on? Such were my first words when I powered up this unit for testing. The fan twitched and immediately stopped. It didn't turn on again until test three. And then it turned off again for crossload test one. It seems that Seasonic wasn't joking about this being a quiet unit... you just can't get much quieter than fanless. I like that the fan twitches just to let you know the unit isn't dead or something.
You say the efficiency numbers are mighty impressive looking? Well, I have to agree with you on that one. With the lowest number still pushing 90% in the progressive tests, this unit is the new efficiency champion around here. I simply haven't tested anything as efficient across the board as this unit. Just look at the heavy 3.3V/5V crossload test... I have trouble getting these units to beat 80% in that test, never mind 87.5%! If all you care about is efficiency, you can pretty much stop reading right here and go buy one of these right now.
Me, I care about voltage regulation too, so I'm continuing on. See those numbers up there? I do have to admit I have seen better stability than that in the past. But, if that can be considered bad news, here's some good news - I haven't seen too many units do better. The unit is holding to Seasonic's 3% promise. Indeed, the 12V rail is doing 1%, while the others are within 2%. That's exceptional.

88.8% at a below 10% load level. Good golly. Maybe I should go lie down for a while... I'm getting light headed again just looking at that number. This here Seasonic platform seems hell bent on breaking records today.

Well, I guess I'm the only one screaming in here, and it's due to excitement. In test two, the X650 is actually more efficient than it was cold, and even test five barely sees any drop. This platform is really outstanding when it comes to pure efficiency.
Know what else is outstanding? The fact that the unit was still fanless in my hot box. Sure, it only stayed off for test one, but let me be honest here - I've never had a fanless unit stay fanless in the hot box. It just gets too hot for most fanless units to stay that way.
And look - I did get the unit up to high ambient temps. Forty eight degrees, to be specific. Forty eight marshmallow roasting, butter melting, finger burning degrees, to be prolific. For-ty eig-ht de-gree-s to be sporadic. But look - the X650 didn't mind one bit. Why, it barely added any of its own heat to things, only hitting fifty nine by the time test five was over. For a while there, I thought the thermometer was faulty. Even better, the fan was barely spinning at all through the whole session."

That's what sold me on my X-650



January 11, 2013 1:28:38 PM

toyftw said:
jonnyguru is the top review site for PSU's, here are some of the things
he had to say in his review:
• "Seasonic Patented DC Connector Module with Integrated VRM * [Voltage Regulator Module]
This patented full modular design minimizes voltage drop and impedance, maximizes efficiency and enhances the overall performance for cooling and reliability. *Patent Pending: US, CN, JP, TW & DE
-Impedance? I think the word you want there is "resistance," Seasonic. Impedance is a function of AC power, not DC.
o Benefits:
 Minimizes resistance and voltage drop to maximize efficiency.
 Consolidates and minimizes component useage to create space to improve airflow for better heat dissipation & cooling.
 Extensive use of Al & SMD automation reduces human error and improves reliability.
 Simple & ingenious design for a clean layout achieves unsurpassed quality and performance.
• 80 Plus® Gold Certified
At least 87%, 90%, 87% efficient at 20%, 50% and 100% operating loads, respectively.
-We'll have to see in the load testing part of the review how well this unit does in meeting these targets.
• Seasonic Patented "Hybrid Silent Fan Control" *
An industry first, advanced 3 phased (Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode.) thermal control balances between silence and cooling. *Patent Pending: US, CN, JP, TW & DE
-I'm not sure about this one. We've seen fanless before, and we've seen operation that ramps up the fan according to temperature before too. What's new and different here, exactly, that needs patenting?
• Sanyo Denki - San Ace PWM Silent Fan
The superb high-grade San Ace Pulse Width Modulation fan pairs perfectly with the Hybrid Silent Fan control circuit for super low noise & cooling performance.
-Interesting... I'm not sure fanless operation has been done with a PWM fan before. Maybe that's what they're patenting.
o Benefits:
 Reduces noise without increase in temperature.
 Extends fan life by eliminating unnecessary rotation.
 Optimizes heat dissipation at all times.
 Fanless mode (0 dBA) provides unsurpassed silent performance.
• Active Power Factor Correction [99% PF Typical]
Reduces line loss and power distortion.
• Highly Reliable 105°C Japanese Brand Capacitors
Exceptionally reliable components extend product life.
• Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors
Enhanced stability at severe operating conditions.
• Tight Voltage Regulation [±3%]
• High +12V Output
• Dual Sided PCB Layout
• 5 Years Warranty
• Full Modular Cabling
• Universal AC Input [Full Range]
• Multi-GPU Technologies Supported
• Patented Easy Swap Connector
• All-in-One DC Cabling Design

Hello? Is this thing on? Such were my first words when I powered up this unit for testing. The fan twitched and immediately stopped. It didn't turn on again until test three. And then it turned off again for crossload test one. It seems that Seasonic wasn't joking about this being a quiet unit... you just can't get much quieter than fanless. I like that the fan twitches just to let you know the unit isn't dead or something.
You say the efficiency numbers are mighty impressive looking? Well, I have to agree with you on that one. With the lowest number still pushing 90% in the progressive tests, this unit is the new efficiency champion around here. I simply haven't tested anything as efficient across the board as this unit. Just look at the heavy 3.3V/5V crossload test... I have trouble getting these units to beat 80% in that test, never mind 87.5%! If all you care about is efficiency, you can pretty much stop reading right here and go buy one of these right now.
Me, I care about voltage regulation too, so I'm continuing on. See those numbers up there? I do have to admit I have seen better stability than that in the past. But, if that can be considered bad news, here's some good news - I haven't seen too many units do better. The unit is holding to Seasonic's 3% promise. Indeed, the 12V rail is doing 1%, while the others are within 2%. That's exceptional.

88.8% at a below 10% load level. Good golly. Maybe I should go lie down for a while... I'm getting light headed again just looking at that number. This here Seasonic platform seems hell bent on breaking records today.

Well, I guess I'm the only one screaming in here, and it's due to excitement. In test two, the X650 is actually more efficient than it was cold, and even test five barely sees any drop. This platform is really outstanding when it comes to pure efficiency.
Know what else is outstanding? The fact that the unit was still fanless in my hot box. Sure, it only stayed off for test one, but let me be honest here - I've never had a fanless unit stay fanless in the hot box. It just gets too hot for most fanless units to stay that way.
And look - I did get the unit up to high ambient temps. Forty eight degrees, to be specific. Forty eight marshmallow roasting, butter melting, finger burning degrees, to be prolific. For-ty eig-ht de-gree-s to be sporadic. But look - the X650 didn't mind one bit. Why, it barely added any of its own heat to things, only hitting fifty nine by the time test five was over. For a while there, I thought the thermometer was faulty. Even better, the fan was barely spinning at all through the whole session."

That's what sold me on my X-650


I'm going to get the

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

People say they changed the design a little inside so it stops the whine noise.
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2013 2:46:14 PM

You are talking about the new KM3 version. Make sure you get the KM3 version. The picture in your link shows the KM2. The KM3 has a fan mode switch on the modular connector face of the PSU.
!