AMD FX-4170 Zambezi vs. Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge

THIS IS NOT AN AMD VS INTEL POST. IT'S A PROCESSOR VS PROCESSOR POST.

A couple weeks ago I decided to completely rebuild my computer, solely for gaming. I found two processors that seem almost equal (Just so happens to be an AMD and an Intel) and I can't decide which one is better.
All I really want in this computer (from most to least important) is:
1. Fast response
2. Performance
3. Something to brag about

AMD FX-4170 Zambezi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106009

Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
10
answers
Last reply
More about 4170 zambezi intel core 2600k sandy bridge
  1. xanderlane said:
    THIS IS NOT AN AMD VS INTEL POST. IT'S A PROCESSOR VS PROCESSOR POST.

    A couple weeks ago I decided to completely rebuild my computer, solely for gaming. I found two processors that seem almost equal (Just so happens to be an AMD and an Intel) and I can't decide which one is better.
    All I really want in this computer (from most to least important) is:
    1. Fast response
    2. Performance
    3. Something to brag about

    AMD FX-4170 Zambezi
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106009

    Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070


    The core i7 has twice as good per-core performance, and uses less power. You should definitely get it. If you can, then get a core i7-3770k.
  2. intel i7 is much superior to that fx 4170.amd fx 4170 performs equal to intel i3 3220.

    there is no amd cpus that can beat intel i5 and i7
  3. I agree with Hammer and Ash that the I7 is much better. You do know though that if all you are doing is gaming the I7 is pointless. You are spending 100 extra dollars on more cache and hyperthreading, two things games don't even make use of. Also hyperthreading can cause up to a 2% performance penelty. You would be better off getting the I5. You would save yourself 100 dollars and you would get the same performance.
  4. Get an SSD as well, it will make your applications load in almost instantly and your computer will boot extremely quickly.
  5. rds1220 said:
    I agree with Hammer and Ash that the I7 is much better. You do know though that if all you are doing is gaming the I7 is pointless. You are spending 100 extra dollars on more cache and hyperthreading, two things games don't even make use of. Also hyperthreading can cause up to a 2% performance penelty. You would be better off getting the I5. You would save yourself 100 dollars and you would get the same performance.

    Thank you, sir. Really wasn't looking forward to spending $300 on a processor. I just assumed i7 would be better in all aspects.
  6. Foo392 said:
    Get an SSD as well, it will make your applications load in almost instantly and your computer will boot extremely quickly.


    xanderlane said:
    Thank you, sir. Really wasn't looking forward to spending $300 on a processor. I just assumed i7 would be better in all aspects.


    I would take the 100 dollars saved from not getting the I7 and put it towards a 128 Gig SSD and use that for a boot drive.
  7. You should consider what you will use it for?

    I know you want performance and bragging skills. But the i5 will give you just as good performance if gaming is your main conern. The i5-3570k is a really great CPU which you can push really far, if you got the right cooling.

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-core-i5-3570k-cpu-review/6
  8. You should get an i5-3570k and a better video card. The i7-3770k is only 20% better than it.
  9. hammereditor said:
    You should get an i5-3570k and a better video card. The i7-3770k is only 20% better than it.


    Depends on what you're doing, editing will be better on the i7 due to the Hyperthreading. Gaming he will likely see a 0-5% difference overall.
  10. I guess I should have also specified I will be recording a lot of my gameplay and my voice at the same time. (then, obviously, some minor video editing afterwards). Would recording gameplay take up much performance? I don't think it would considering I'm getting a quad-core cpu.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Processors Intel Product