Fx-4100 + hd 7870 or fx-8150 + hd 6870 ?

Boondae

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Hello,

The main purpose is gaming and movies. RAM (2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz) and HDD are the same.

Thanks for your input.

PassMark

Distinguished
Very few games will use the 8 cores in the FX-8150. And either CPU will play a movie.

So if you are limiting your choice to just these 2 CPUs, then you might be better off with the quad code FX-4100 even if it is slightly slower in single thread and significantly slower in apps that can use > 4 cores.

The real (accurate) answer really depends on what games and what game settings you use (e.g. resolution).

maninder055

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
intel cpu's perform better than amd when they comes to gaming.intel 3rd gen i5 cpu 3570k is enough for currently available games with a good nvidia gpu like gtx 570 or 2nd gen i5 2500k also a good option.don't go with amd if your main purpose is gaming use 16gb ram for better performance+750w psu+asus mobo that i strongly recommend.

Intels processors perform better if the resolution is low and graphics details set to awful . Its a measure of the stronger individual cores , and even then the reason they are mostly stronger is because an AMD core is not the same thing as an Intel core . Its just a small part of one that duplicated in a module .
You notice this most in older DX9 game engines that cant multithread well , if at all

In DX 10 or 11 games the AMD FX will often be equal or be ahead of the intel at 1080p resolutions and enthusiast gamer settings
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg1/amd-fx-8150-black-edition-8-core-processor-vs-core-i7-2600k-review-introduction.html

You also do NOT need 16 gig of RAM for gaming . There is no noticeable benefit when you move from 4 gig to 8 gig
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-8.html
The reason is simply that games are 32 bit programs so there is no way the game can ever use more than about 3.2 gig of RAM . There are some very rare 64 bit ports but you wont find any off the shelf so dont waste money on more RAM than 8 gig

So IMO buy the FX 4100 + 7870 . It will game decently at 1080p ..........but mostly because Bulldozer will soon be replaced with Piledriver cpu's which look like performing about 20% better and using less power while they do it .
At $100 the FX 4100 can be a placeholder till you upgrade later

I did not see any were in his post he was getting a new mainboard so why on earth would he want or need to go to a i5? Plus I can tell you that my FX-8120 run every game I have at 1080p ultra/high with no problems what so ever.

There is no game now or in the foreseeable future that is going to need any were near 16gig of ram that is just overkill. The higher AMD Phenom II's like the 1090t and FX CPU's are just fine for gaming. And unless you are looking into replacing your mainboard there is no reason at all to go to the intel platform for gaming.

+1 to Outlander_04 would completely agree.

Boondae

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Sorry I should'Ve been more precise (first time poster:)). I'm mostly gonna play CS:GO at 1080p with an eye on Crysis 3 next year. I know either systems will play CS fine but since they're both in the same price range (1k), I was wondering which one would give me better performance and longevity, the one with the better cpu or the one with the better gpu.

All the prebuilts I've seen online with a decent i5 were either out of my price range or came with a blah gpu like the hd 7770 for example. Maybe I've been looking at the wrong sites ?

I think the way to go is the stronger graphics card .
You can upgrade the processor next year if you want to/need to

maninder055

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
TUL Corporation in Taiwan have launched the world's first Radeon HD 7990 graphics card with two Tahiti XT GPUs. The PowerColor Devil13 HD 7990 is a dual-BIOS monster, boasting speeds as fast as the Radeon HD 7970. With an overclocked speed of 1 GHz on the second BIOS, it can run all the latest games and HD movies with high frame rates.
The Devil13 HD 7990 has ten U-shaped heatpipes, five per GPU, with three fans, providing exceptional cooling. It includes 12 + 2 + 2 power phases, giving good stability to the power circuitry, and hence the card as a whole. It also has a digital PWM, which helps to keep the temperatures as low as possible.
The default GPU clock speed is 925 MHz, with BIOS 2 offering speeds of 1 GHz. The 6 GB GDDR5 memory is clocked at 1375 MHz (5.5 GHz effective), with a memory interface of 384 bits per GPU, giving a total bandwidth of 528 GB/s.
The card uses a PCI-E 3.0 interface. It has a Dual-Link DVI-I, Single-Link DVI-D, HDMI, 2 x mini DisplayPort connections. DirectX 11.1 is supported, as is OpenGL. It is possible to use two HD 7990 graphics cards in SLI, to effectively give 4 x Tahiti XT GPUs in crossfire.
The maximum VGA resolution is 2048 x 1536,with DVI offering 2560 x 1600. The DP and HDMI connections offer an output of 4096 x 2160.
The PCB is 12.4 inches (315 mm) long, 5.51 inches(140 mm) high and three slots wide with the cooler attached. It uses 3 x 8-pin PCI-E power connectors, allowing for a maximum power draw of 525 W. For reference, AMD HD 7970 uses a maximum of 250W.