Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Customizing computer, would this be ok? and graphics card upgrade advice

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 1:46:26 AM

Hello,
I know there's an outline for this but it doesn't really fit what I'm trying to ask and is taking too long to think over.

I'm customizing a computer on the HP website, tower only, but I'm really not tech savvy. Would this work fine for using like adobe programs (illustrator, photoshop, ect.) and for playing some games like Aion and Guild Wars 2, mmo's?

HP p7-1380t series
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]

Processor: 2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 processor [3.0GHz, 6MB Shared Cache]

Memory: FREE UPGRADE to 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] from 4GB

Hard drive: FREE UPGRADE to 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive from 500GB

Secondary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive

Graphics card: 512MB AMD Radeon HD 7350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter] or
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT620 [DVI, HDMI, VGA via Adapter]

Primary optical drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner

Networking: Wireless-N LAN card (2x2)

Sound Card: Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound

I also want to upgrade the graphics card that it'll come with. What would be a good but cheap graphics card to get that's under $200? Nvidia is preferred but all options are welcome.
August 28, 2012 1:52:38 AM

Even though you say you're not tech savvy, with some research you COULD build your own for the same price with better specs. You could replace the GPU, but the PSU in OEM PC's are tiny, so you'd need to upgrade that as well.
August 28, 2012 2:02:54 AM

your budget and intended resolution for playing these games? if you're willing to spend an extra $200, you're better off building one on your own, or at least buy the parts and let a shop build it for you for $40-50 dollars more. better bang for your buck this way at least, considering how crappy the PSU, and air flow for your $200 GPU is in a pre-built in most cases.
Related resources
August 28, 2012 2:07:51 AM

Customized the tower with those options he listed above, comes to $630. Better off building your own, have a friend build it, or have a shop build it.
August 28, 2012 2:44:01 AM

I'm not a big computer gamer or anything and I don't mind playing on low settings. I do more web browsing then game playing on it but I use the adobe programs a lot. It's more important that the system can handle using those programs well then playing the games. In the future I could upgrade other stuff but atm I just really need a new computer that can handle those programs well and if it can play those games and not instantly die then it's a bonus. I don't care much if I have to play on lower settings, just that the games will be playable. I have a 460 watt power supply I could stick in there but it's really only another like basic power supply that came from another comp since mine had died. I might be able to buy a new power supply if it's really needed depending.

I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible so that I can buy a graphics card. That computer up there already costs $673.98 after an instant rebate. If I spent $200 more on just making a better computer, I wouldn't be able to get the graphics card. I can't really spend more then $800 altogether for everything.

Is the computer decent enough as it is? Is that processor a dual core? Would a GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB be compatible with this computer? It's the card in my current computer, I can at least replace the card that'll come with the comp with that one if it'll work and upgrade from that card.

Sorry that it got so wordy.
August 28, 2012 2:52:29 AM

It will handle the programs fine, but the GPU is weak. You do not have to spend $200 more. You could build a good one for $600-$650, but it's entirely your choice. The CPU is powerful, and great at multi-tasking.
August 28, 2012 3:05:28 AM

for $800 and less, you can refer to the build shown here;

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/360795-31-gaming-fina...

you could cut off the costs by getting a non-K i5 CPU for $170-180, maybe lesser than that if there's a microcenter near you. even a dual core i3 will serve you just as good is you're very serious about saving up.

for the GPU, assuming you play at 1080p, you can spend less than the 7870. a 7770/6850, 6870/560, 560ti/6950, or a 7850 at worst, should be able to handle most if not all MMOs at 1080p at the highest setting. plus, you at least save up, what? $50-70? from buying a HD7350/GT620 you will never use.

that should at least be just within your budget, depending on whether or not you need a mouse, keyboard, OS, and a monitor.
August 28, 2012 3:46:06 PM

That's really helpful, thanks a lot :) . And yea, I have the other stuff, just need a tower. I might really just custom make the computer myself now, someone showed me a website that has some builds for exactly what I want with what to get and I'll look at other peoples final builds too. I might not understand computer stuff but I can at least search and buy the parts from already put together builds that would really work for me and save me money lol. I've just been really frustrated over my computer problems and haven't thought everything over completely.

Any other cheap but good build and part suggestions/links would be highly appreciated. I wanna get a lot of options together :) .
August 28, 2012 4:08:55 PM

windchaser90 said:
That's really helpful, thanks a lot :) . And yea, I have the other stuff, just need a tower. I might really just custom make the computer myself now, someone showed me a website that has some builds for exactly what I want with what to get and I'll look at other peoples final builds too. I might not understand computer stuff but I can at least search and buy the parts from already put together builds that would really work for me and save me money lol. I've just been really frustrated over my computer problems and haven't thought everything over completely.

Any other cheap but good build and part suggestions/links would be highly appreciated. I wanna get a lot of options together :) .

just lurk around the forum. you'll get numerous recommendations from time to time for around your budget. choose your parts and come back here with a list. you don't want to grab a CPU with an incompatible motherboard that requires a BIOS update to work or one that doesn't work with your model of RAM.
September 3, 2012 6:03:00 PM

Took a little while.

What if I did something like this for now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/griK

How does that look?

What would be a good but cheap video card to get for under $200, maybe around $150 or less. If you could give me multiple options (in brand and price though nvidia is preferred) leading up to $200 that'd be great.

I'd also like other options on cases too.
September 3, 2012 7:40:30 PM

Do you plan to run multiple cards in the future? What is your monitor's resolution? Do you have a microcenter near you? Budget?
September 3, 2012 8:18:33 PM

I don't know if I'd run multiple cards in the future but I probably won't, I'm really just thinking about right now since I really need a new computer.

The computer is more of a workstation then a gaming station. It needs to be able to run adobe programs well (it doesn't need to run 5 different adobe programs at once though lol). I'm just a casual gamer on the computer, I only play MMO's on it, like Aion and I plan on playing Guild Wars 2. As long as the games are playable on low settings I'm all good on whatever card but I'd really like to be able to play at medium settings at least if that's possible within my budget.

My monitor's resolution is 1600x900. No nearby microcenter.

My budget's between $600-$700 now.

Best solution

September 4, 2012 1:42:32 AM

windchaser90 said:
Took a little while.

What if I did something like this for now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/griK

How does that look?

What would be a good but cheap video card to get for under $200, maybe around $150 or less. If you could give me multiple options (in brand and price though nvidia is preferred) leading up to $200 that'd be great.

I'd also like other options on cases too.

not bad, but there's are always better options. while nothing wrong with a P67 motherboard, getting a cheaper but just as good Z68/Z77 isn't all so bad. some examples;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

since you're not looking to run more than one video card, a 550-600W PSU will do you good enough;

a favorite and real good brand for just a few dollars less including shipping. you could go for the 520W if you got a GTX 550ti instead.

as for your GPU; the 560ti seems about the most you could get under the right deal. below that, there's the GTX 560, the 550Ti, and the GT 640, which should be able to play most MMOs at your resolution at a high setting. in case you're willing to go for an AMD card instead, there's the 7770,6790, 6850,6870, or a 6950 (like the gtx 560ti, you can find one under $200 in the right deal).

some idea how they perform;

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-perfor...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_640...
September 4, 2012 5:52:56 PM

All of those wouldn't have a problem handling any of the adobe programs? The cpu I chose and motherboard options you put down, ect.?

I'm confused on the graphic card names. GTX 550 ti, ect, those are the chipsets on the cards right? Because I look on partpicker and there's like 50 ((exaggerated lol) different cards that are like GTX 550ti or 560ti, ect. What are the actual names of the cards? Like MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk, ect., or I really don't know which cards I should look at that you were suggesting.
September 5, 2012 2:45:01 AM

well, if you want more performance for Adobe programs, there's the i7, but seeing as you're not willing to spend so much, the i5 is still a nice compromise. i've just realized you're using Adobe graphics related programs, so a good GPU can help. i do strongly recommend the GTX 560ti.

yes, those are GPU chipsets. just grab one from a good brand like EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI that are under your budget. i recommend EVGA if you want quality build and customer services (based on what other's say anyway) or Asus for that balance in cooling and quiet (based on my 6870).
September 5, 2012 3:01:05 AM

So that SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze power supply is good enough for the GTX 560ti and the 520 watt is good enough for anything below it? Just to make completely sure.
September 5, 2012 3:19:26 AM

i've heard of people going with 550W with a GTX 560ti + i5-2500K, so 600W is a good amount of headroom for most. factor as well that seasonic make quality PSU's. if you want, you can check it out yourself;

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

note that the site always tend to overcalculate the amount of needed wattage.

another thing you can reconsider, based on your initial posts is to get a cheaper non-K CPU like the i5-2320, or 2400 if you're very sure that you won't overclock. being able to OC is however very nice in the long run when you OC later in the PCs lifespan.
September 5, 2012 4:49:34 AM

If I did do an i7 cpu, would I need to get a bigger power supply then the 550 or 620 watt with those cards or would they be good enough?
September 6, 2012 6:57:06 PM

Don't get the i7. It's full potential is only realized when video editing, photo editing, etc. Get the i5. A 500w PSU is enough.
September 13, 2012 12:09:48 AM

Best answer selected by windchaser90.
!