Unusual artifacting problem has me confused... :/

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I RMA'd my Toxic 6950 a couple weeks back (still in the RMA process) because I was experiencing artifacts on the display. They appeared in the form of green flashing dots in random places, sometimes there are red dots to. This happens in the BIOS and in the OS and it's worse in the OS when there are no graphics drivers installed.

My plan was to use the built in graphics of my 2500K while I was waiting on my replacement. But when I tried I just got major corruption on the screen. I could barely see what was going on. It was all green and blocky. It happens when the CPU is running at stock settings to.

Today I borrowed my brothers Toxic 6870 which we know works absolutely fine. I'm getting the exact same problem. So I can rule out graphics cards as the problem now.

Sometimes it's not that bad. I can barely see any corruption happening right now in this Firefox window. It's usually at it's worst when you have a window on the screen. If I move a window around the screen the flashing dots will move with the window.

I don't think it's the monitor either because the problem is so much worse when I use the 2500K's built in graphics, so much worse...

* So it's something other than the graphics card which is the problem.
* It's not a driver issue because it happens in the BIOS also. Though it is much worse in the OS when there is no driver installed.
* Does not appear to be a monitor fault.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates to this post:

Things I have tried so far:

*Tried every BIOS going for my Motherboard.

Other problems found:

*It says "AMD Catalyst not available" in CCC. It did this with both cards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking it's the CPU somehow. But is it possible for the CPU to cause artifacting through the PCI-E GPU?

Really hope you guys can help me figure this out. I've already sent off a graphics card which I now think was probably ok. Really want to figure this out before my next move. Thanks people...

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
i would test this monitor on your brother mobo with is graphic card to see if they work well together and try another monitor on your system with the internal graphic,what was the last ccc driver you instal on your system

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I would try that but it's a bit difficult as he doesn't live near me. But I will see if I can get hold of one to test onI am sure it's not the monitor though because of the way it is worse in certain situations. The fact that it's so much worse when I use the graphics from the CPU tells me that it's probably the PCI-E controller of the CPU. I've noticed it's worse on flash objects to, such as youtube videos. Also if you see the flashing dots on an object such as a window and move it around the screen, the flashing dots follow it. If it was the monitor randomly flashing dots I don't think it would happen like this. Also I have tried many different driver versions - the problem is the same with them all. As this issue happens in the BIOS it is clearly a hardware issue because graphics drivers are irrelevant in the BIOS. Thanks for the reply.

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Yeh I have a 2500K and I tried to use the onboard graphics for the first time recently as my graphics card was sent away for the RMA. This is when I found out that I couldn't use onboard graphics at all. It's possible it's the motherboard but I'm gonna try and RMA the CPU and see what happens. If they say the CPU is fine then I'll send the Motherboard back. I don't have any way of testing the CPU on a different board so I'm stuck for choices really :/

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Do quick check ur monitor cable and it might be the source of the problem. If you are using DVI cable and u dun have extra ones, u can try using HDMI cable and see whether the problem still persist. Sometimes, these little things are the one that give the problem.

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
It's ok I'm sure it's the cpu or motherboard so I'm going to send them back one at a time until I figure out which one it is. Cheers for the help guys.

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

It's impossible to install the iGPU driver because i have the iGPU disabled normally so the driver wont install. When I enable iGPU I can't get a picture in the BIOS and the display is to corrupted to see what's going on in the OS. This is not a driver issue because I am having this problem in the BIOS before any drivers are even loaded. It's a hardware issue. Thanks.

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Maybe I could install the iGPU driver if I enabled iGPU and used a PCI-E graphics card for the display. I haven't tried this yet so I don't know. But as I said - it's a hardware issue because it happens in the BIOS.

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

It will help nothing in the BIOS. It's not a driver issue.