Point of Sale System

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Hey guys. I'm a PC repair guy, dabble in a little of everything, I've played in a limited sense with Linux, used to be mac certified, but that was a couple of years ago, been in hardware repair a long time, helped support Point of Sale systems when I worked in a school system, but I forget everything. However, someone approached asking about a Point of Sale system for his bar/restaurant. I looked around on tiger direct and saw some options, newegg and microcenter don't appear to have a whole lot. This guy as far as I know has basically nothing and needs a system from ground up. I can get PC's relatively cheaply from Microcenter, but where do I start? Wasp used to be the name for barcode scanners.

I'm guessing I need a receipt printer, code scanner possibly, credit card reader, cash drawer and software, as well as a PC, and possibly touch screen. What is best to use from you guys who know best?

I read something about a system called PointOS that seems like it might be decent, never heard of it or used it before now.

I saw this on tigerdirect, though I'm aware th PC is underpowered. Any ideas?

First point of sale question I've seen here so you may not find that much help.

Google finds many packages. I'd start looking at those.

"Point of Sale system for his bar/restaurant. " this will need a application set up for menu, drinks, etc. Suggest you ask your friend where he's worked before and what system they used. Then find him a system built around the same application.

Alternative, looked for a fire sale from a failed business. they will have the application. You have the skills to get the PC working, etc.

not sure if this helped.

edit: forgot. RENTAL is also a good idea. They will have all the right parts. In 6 months either your friend will be glad he rented, or the business will be in the black and your friend can talk through exactly the type of system they'd rather use.