Sign in with
Your question

Display port to VGA converter

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2012 7:51:00 PM

Hello,

Just so I'm understanding correctly,

Adapters such as these two below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Convert a digital/displayport signal to a analog signal that creates a VGA quality picture on an older monitor? Or is it the reveres? Converting analog signal to digital to approximate a displayport quality picture?

Also, what do the terms "active" and "passive" mean when referring to these adapters.

any help would be appreciated.

lurn
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 8:03:01 PM

These are Display port to VGA adapters. They allow you to use a monitor with a VGA in with a video card that has a display port out.

You will need an active adapter if you are using more two monitors. A passive adapter can be used if you are using fewer than three monitors. For example, if you have two monitors hooked up via DVI/VGA, you will need an active adapter for the third monitor. If you only have one monitor hooked up to the video card via DVI/VGA then you can use a passive adapter.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 8:03:26 PM

lurn said:
Convert a digital/displayport signal to a analog signal that creates a VGA quality picture on an older monitor? Or is it the reveres?

They convert DisplayPort to VGA, not the other way around. That's why they're called DisplayPort to VGA converters. If you wanted to go the other way, you'd need a VGA to DisplayPort converter.

Quote:
Also, what do the terms "active" and "passive" mean when referring to these adapters.

Active converters have a chip inside them that takes a signal in one form and transforms it into another form. In this case, it converts DisplayPort into VGA.

A passive converter allows you to simply connect a different kind of cable, and it's up to the connecting hardware to figure out that (in this case) it's really a VGA signal that needs to be sent instead of DisplayPort. Support tends to be spotty, as trying to convince your card to output an analog signal on a digital port doesn't always go so well.

Active converters tend to be more expensive for obvious reasons, but the payoff is better compatibility.
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 11:56:06 AM

thanks guys for the help.

that clears things up for me.

thanks again

lurn
m
l
December 7, 2013 5:11:49 AM

willard said:
lurn said:
Convert a digital/displayport signal to a analog signal that creates a VGA quality picture on an older monitor? Or is it the reveres?

They convert DisplayPort to VGA, not the other way around. That's why they're called DisplayPort to VGA converters. If you wanted to go the other way, you'd need a VGA to DisplayPort converter.

Quote:

Active converters have a chip inside them that takes a signal in one form and transforms it into another form. In this case, it converts DisplayPort into VGA.

A passive converter allows you to simply connect a different kind of cable, and it's up to the connecting hardware to figure out that (in this case) it's really a VGA signal that needs to be sent instead of DisplayPort. Support tends to be spotty, as trying to convince your card to output an analog signal on a digital port doesn't always go so well.

Active converters tend to be more expensive for obvious reasons, but the payoff is better compatibility.

hello sir, I have recently purchased an AMD Radeon R9 290, and it only has digital outputs(hdmi/displayport/dvi) and my monitor only has a VGA exit, is there any way of making that analog signal into one of those digital? some people say its impossible that the card only has digital and theres no way of converting from analog, can you help me out pls?

Kind regards

m
l
!