Sign in with
Your question

SLI graphics cards heating each other, can I space them apart?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics Cards
  • SLI
  • Heating
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2012 8:16:34 PM

I have a pair of Nvidia GTX 550-TIs that I want to SLI together. The problem, my motherboard has the cards spaced close together, so when I SLI both cards, they end up overheating (there's only a few milimeters of space between them). Is there some kind of offset I can get, so I can put the video card lower and give them both some breathing room? Many thanks!

More about : sli graphics cards heating space

July 9, 2012 8:34:44 PM

Im afraid if you dont have any other slots on your mobo the only real thing you can do is get after market heatsink/fans or go water cooling

unless someone knows something i dont
m
l
a c 86 Î Nvidia
a c 578 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 8:36:06 PM

The solution is a full size ATX motherboard with the proper PCIe x16 slot spacing or water cooling the primary graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 8:48:43 PM

yea what mobo you have?
m
l
July 17, 2012 2:58:59 AM

I also do have same problem with my 550Ti SLI config... I've Asus Maximus V Gene Z77 mobo with Cooler Master Elite 311 cabinet... We dont have any other slot where we can fit the GPU... Will getting a bigger Cabinet improve the airflow and solve the problem ? And also I find it very difficult to get a after market cooler / water cooling system for GPUs nowadays. Can someone please refer me some good after market ones for GTX 50Ti ???
m
l
July 17, 2012 2:30:00 PM

I encountered this issue myself with 560 ti sli on an asus p6x58d-e motherboard. If I used the 2 topmost pci-e then there was literally no airflow to the top card and I couldnt use the bottom pci-e due to no rear expansion space (haf912). My only solution was to move to a bigger case (haf x) which enabled me to drop the second card to the 3rd slot and get a long sli bridge.

In a nutshell you either will have to change your motherboard to one that has better pci-e spacing, change our case to bring 3rd pci-e into play (if available) or as mentioned above use some aftermarket cooling / watercooling to make the airflow irrelevant.

m
l
July 17, 2012 2:44:40 PM

mandarpalshikar said:
I also do have same problem with my 550Ti SLI config... I've Asus Maximus V Gene Z77 mobo with Cooler Master Elite 311 cabinet... We dont have any other slot where we can fit the GPU... Will getting a bigger Cabinet improve the airflow and solve the problem ? And also I find it very difficult to get a after market cooler / water cooling system for GPUs nowadays. Can someone please refer me some good after market ones for GTX 50Ti ???

After having a look at you motherboard you have better spacing between the cards than my top 2 pci-e slots. Depending on how much you want to spend really you either need to go watercooling but that may be dependant upon space available inside your case for pump, radiator etc (your case is not the biggest and you may have to externally mount w/c units) or move to a bigger, better airflow case. I recommend the HAF X case (but I am a little biased :D ) due to a vast number of fans including a side intake fan to cool gpu's as well as a gpu fan duct that blows air from front of case directly over both gpu's. There are other cases out there that do a similar thing but cant recommend as have not used them.

Have included image of internal of my case hopefully that will help.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s482/MEMOFLEX/Roman...
m
l
!