Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Reasons for high core temperatures

Last response: in CPUs
January 11, 2013 3:36:41 PM

my specs are
processor :intel core2duo E8400 3GHZ(running at stock speeds with stock cooler)
motherboard:asus p5v-km
Ram:transcend 2x2gb 800mhz
Hdd:seagate 500gb 3gb\s
Gpu:xfx geforce 9500gt 1gb
Psu:cooler master extreme power plus 460w
Case:A micro-atx case which came with my old pentiumD system(i just changed the mobo,processor,psu and ram)
Airflow fitted:80mmx1 side intake,80mmx1 exhaust
my problem is the cpu temp is 45c at idle but the critical problem is the core temps ,core0 temp is 74c and core1 temp is 72c at idle and my gpu temps at 55c
things i tried to bring temperatures down
1.cleaned the cpu heatsink
2.reapplied the thermal paste
3.cable management was done properly
4.reseated the cpu heatsink
but still i get the same core temps except the gpu which was drastically reduced to 43-45c at idle.what might be the REASON?processor or motherboard or case.
my Room temp is 26c
a c 190 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 4:07:21 PM

I am going to guess that you are using the stock cooler. So while your temperatures are higher than I would expect they are not really to that dangerous level. So first what are you using for temperature monitoring software? I like HWMonitor and seem to have gotten the best temperatures from this.

Now lets check make sure that the stock HSF is seated well. Reach in and give each of the twist clips are pull straight up. If you can put them up your HSF was not seated well.

Score
January 12, 2013 2:22:50 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
I am going to guess that you are using the stock cooler. So while your temperatures are higher than I would expect they are not really to that dangerous level. So first what are you using for temperature monitoring software? I like HWMonitor and seem to have gotten the best temperatures from this.

Now lets check make sure that the stock HSF is seated well. Reach in and give each of the twist clips are pull straight up. If you can put them up your HSF was not seated well.

i have seated my stock heatsink well i called a system engineer and he is one who fitted my stock heatsink he said it is fitted correctly ,i'm using HW monitor here are the temperatures at idle http://s13.postimage.org/kp9sk31tz/Untitled.png the cpu is running at 2ghz at idle the problem is when the cpu reaches 100% the core0 and core1 temps reaches 100c.the heatsink which is named asus on my board is very hot when i touch it.here are my 100% cpu usage temps http://s14.postimage.org/vbh1p65yp/Untitled1.png i used intel processor diagnostic tool for test it just ran 10seconds and the temps raised very much higher but finally it displayed me that my processor passed the the test.
Score
Related resources
a c 79 à CPUs
January 12, 2013 8:32:34 PM

Sounds like a motherboard problem. If that CPU seriously was hitting 100c it never would because it would have internally shut it's self down before reaching that point. I think your motherboard temp sensors are just on the fritz
Score
January 12, 2013 8:43:06 PM

vishalaestro said:
my specs are
processor :intel core2duo E8400 3GHZ(running at stock speeds with stock cooler)
motherboard:asus p5v-km
Ram:transcend 2x2gb 800mhz
Hdd:seagate 500gb 3gb\s
Gpu:xfx geforce 9500gt 1gb
Psu:cooler master extreme power plus 460w
Case:A micro-atx case which came with my old pentiumD system(i just changed the mobo,processor,psu and ram)
Airflow fitted:80mmx1 side intake,80mmx1 exhaust
my problem is the cpu temp is 45c at idle but the critical problem is the core temps ,core0 temp is 74c and core1 temp is 72c at idle and my gpu temps at 55c
things i tried to bring temperatures down
1.cleaned the cpu heatsink
2.reapplied the thermal paste
3.cable management was done properly
4.reseated the cpu heatsink
but still i get the same core temps except the gpu which was drastically reduced to 43-45c at idle.what might be the REASON?processor or motherboard or case.
my Room temp is 26c

You put to little thermal paste on your CPU?

Score
January 13, 2013 1:39:51 AM

cmstormscouts said:
You put to little thermal paste on your CPU?

yes obviously when u are reseating the heatsink thermal paste is applied by cleaning the previous one
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 13, 2013 2:56:35 AM

Seriously people open up your ears and listen. Stop jerking the guy around there is absolutley no possible way his CPU is hitting the displayed temperature because it's impossible the CPU would have throttled and shut it's self down, not passed a stress test...This is without a doubt a temp sensor issue. Just look at the pic he posted where in both cases the core temp is 30c higher than the CPUTIN temp. On EVERY system i have EVER owned the CPUTIN temp is ALWAYS higher NOT LOWER, usually by 5-10c
Score
January 13, 2013 3:24:24 AM

cmi86 said:
Seriously people open up your ears and listen. Stop jerking the guy around there is absolutley no possible way his CPU is hitting the displayed temperature because it's impossible the CPU would have throttled and shut it's self down, not passed a stress test...This is without a doubt a temp sensor issue. Just look at the pic he posted where in both cases the core temp is 30c higher than the CPUTIN temp. On EVERY system i have EVER owned the CPUTIN temp is ALWAYS higher NOT LOWER, usually by 5-10c

i ran prime95 using small fft the test results shown my cpu passed .but when i ran intel burn test the core temp just suddenly jumps to 60c to 101c and my core temp software says that my core is critical.so are u saying that i should go to asus service center and repair my mobo?
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 13, 2013 3:30:57 AM

The monitoring software you use is based on the readings from the temperature sensors so it goes off of whatever they tell it. If your CPU is at 55c and the sensors say it is at 100c the software will still throw warnings because it only knows what it's told. There are technologies built into your CPU to manage temps and in extreme cases shut the CPU down (intentionally crash the system) to prevent damage to the CPU. If the temps you are seeing were in fact true this fail safe would have most definitely happened, unless you shut them off in the BIOS... Have you mucked around in the BIOS at all ?
Score
January 13, 2013 4:10:43 AM

cmi86 said:
The monitoring software you use is based on the readings from the temperature sensors so it goes off of whatever they tell it. If your CPU is at 55c and the sensors say it is at 100c the software will still throw warnings because it only knows what it's told. There are technologies built into your CPU to manage temps and in extreme cases shut the CPU down (intentionally crash the system) to prevent damage to the CPU. If the temps you are seeing were in fact true this fail safe would have most definitely happened, unless you shut them off in the BIOS... Have you mucked around in the BIOS at all ?

never .but i often get this message "cmos settings failed press f1 to enter into bios or f2 to load default settings "so by seeing this message i press f2 and the system boots up.my cpu temps are going to 70c if i run a video conversion or games so the core temps go to 101c and my temp monitors warns me that my core temps are critical.this what is happening .the fact is i can't even run the intel burn test since my cpu is heating up rapidly getting my cpu temp jump to 70c and core temps to 101c within 10 seconds but i also found that my system didn't crash instead of that in the HW monitor i could see only 1 core in the core readings and when the temp gets down i could see two cores .so what is the solution to my problem?this is the reading i got now when i ran a blend test in prime95 for 5mins http://s7.postimage.org/6bd4etdjv/temps.png what does this mean?
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 13, 2013 4:27:45 AM

It displays CMOS SETTINGS FAILED when you have not touched any BIOS settings in any way shape or form ? Do me a favor and open CPU-Z and tell me what you CPU Voltage/Vcore is at idle and full load.
Score
January 13, 2013 6:42:08 AM

cmi86 said:
It displays CMOS SETTINGS FAILED when you have not touched any BIOS settings in any way shape or form ? Do me a favor and open CPU-Z and tell me what you CPU Voltage/Vcore is at idle and full load.

here is the screen shot http://s1.postimage.org/uhddh1ca7/cpuz.png when i run intel burn test within seconds i cannot scroll the mouse properly,the mouse pointer is getting stuck.then i ran prime95 blend test for about 15min and then again i opened the HW monitor suddenly i could see only 1core here is the pic http://s13.postimage.org/ddfgh69sn/1core_only.png so i stopped the test and this is the result i got http://s20.postimage.org/j3xhyisvh/blend_test.png my cpu clock reaches max of only 2ghz at 100% cpu usage so it's hard when i'm playing games like crysis or nfs hot pursuit the game is hanging like anything which actually did not happen on my old pentium dual core processor
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 13, 2013 4:53:07 PM

Screen hangs such as pointer glitches and scroll hangs are normal while running stress testing software. As far as the BIOS messages, The battery is dead or the board is totally jacked. Before we 110% accuse the board and go through all that trouble I want YOU to personally remove the heat sink, clean all of the old thermal compound from both the heat sink and the CPU, apply a pea sized amount of arctic silver 5 thermal compound to the center of the CPU and re apply the heat sink using this guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338655-28-intel-stock.... Intel stock coolers are know to be extremely pesky and I just want to eliminate that possibility.
Score
January 14, 2013 2:27:36 AM

cmi86 said:
Screen hangs such as pointer glitches and scroll hangs are normal while running stress testing software. As far as the BIOS messages, The battery is dead or the board is totally jacked. Before we 110% accuse the board and go through all that trouble I want YOU to personally remove the heat sink, clean all of the old thermal compound from both the heat sink and the CPU, apply a pea sized amount of arctic silver 5 thermal compound to the center of the CPU and re apply the heat sink using this guide http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338655-28-intel-stock.... Intel stock coolers are know to be extremely pesky and I just want to eliminate that possibility.

that was the first thing i did, i reapplied the thermal paste by cleaning the heatsink and processor with isopropyl alcohol then i reseated the processor and i also changed the cmos battery i should tell you that the cmos setting fail problem occurs only 2in10 times sorry to mention u that late.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 14, 2013 2:41:52 AM

And you did this personally ? I saw something above about you saying some computer engineer did it and told you it was good. If the heatsink is properly seated and all then it is time to move on. No sense in investing in the 775 platform anymore. Since you already have some DDr3 take $150 and go snag a cheap 1155 board and a pentium G series of some sort and call it good. Unless you care to spend more than the sky is the limit however the option i listed can be had for about $150
Score
January 14, 2013 3:56:04 AM

cmi86 said:
And you did this personally ? I saw something above about you saying some computer engineer did it and told you it was good. If the heatsink is properly seated and all then it is time to move on. No sense in investing in the 775 platform anymore. Since you already have some DDr3 take $150 and go snag a cheap 1155 board and a pentium G series of some sort and call it good. Unless you care to spend more than the sky is the limit however the option i listed can be had for about $150

as i'm very bad in fitting stock intel fans i called a system engineer and made him to apply thermal paste and fit the heatsink.can i repair this motherboard?because i'm waiting for haswell release
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 14, 2013 2:21:12 PM

This is why I gave you a guide stating exactly how to fit the heat sink. Everybody makes mistakes no matter how experienced they may be which is why I wanted you to personally make sure the HSF was fitted properly. No there is no repairing an issue of this type. A burst capacitor or something yes but a schizofrenic motherboard is toast.
Score
January 14, 2013 3:40:26 PM

cmi86 said:
This is why I gave you a guide stating exactly how to fit the heat sink. Everybody makes mistakes no matter how experienced they may be which is why I wanted you to personally make sure the HSF was fitted properly. No there is no repairing an issue of this type. A burst capacitor or something yes but a schizofrenic motherboard is toast.

i check the heatsink it was fitted tight .
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 14, 2013 4:29:15 PM

Ok well than is suppose at this point your choices are to invest in another 775/DDR3 board for around $50.00 or move up to 1155 on a sandy/ivy chip and call it good. Haswell will be on 1150 so therefore not compatible however I somewhat doubt it will be worth the wait as my gut instincts tell me it will just be another die shrink with better graphics offering maybe 10% performance over current gen CPU's. It's all up to you at this point.
Score
January 15, 2013 2:19:37 AM

cmi86 said:
Ok well than is suppose at this point your choices are to invest in another 775/DDR3 board for around $50.00 or move up to 1155 on a sandy/ivy chip and call it good. Haswell will be on 1150 so therefore not compatible however I somewhat doubt it will be worth the wait as my gut instincts tell me it will just be another die shrink with better graphics offering maybe 10% performance over current gen CPU's. It's all up to you at this point.

my system engineer told me that he is willing to give a used G41 intel board for 25$ is that good deal and i also call the asus service center and told about my problem they replied me that if they could fix my motherboard it would costs 11$.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 3:02:23 AM

vishalaestro said:
my system engineer told me that he is willing to give a used G41 intel board for 25$ is that good deal and i also call the asus service center and told about my problem they replied me that if they could fix my motherboard it would costs 11$.

Give it a go for $25 you cant lose. It's 99.999% it's your board as cpu's rarely ever go bad but keep in mind it is very very minute possibility.
Score
January 15, 2013 4:57:30 AM

cmi86 said:
Give it a go for $25 you cant lose. It's 99.999% it's your board as cpu's rarely ever go bad but keep in mind it is very very minute possibility.

first i will go to the asus service center and will the check the board see i can repair it or else if the defective is the processor u will hear from me of buying an haswell i5 processor since i have a laptop with me with dualcore for browsing purpose
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 5:15:45 AM

Ok good luck man.
Score
January 16, 2013 12:05:32 PM

cmi86 said:
Ok good luck man.

found the problem mate it's the processor not the motherboard.i went to asus service center and the service engineer tested the motherboard and told me that the mobo is fine and so the problem is with the processor.i'm going to buy a core2quad processor 2.83ghz for 82$ in exchange with the my faulty core2duo processor.i didn't expect the processor to get problems.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 17, 2013 9:05:54 PM

Wow man that is literally the first processor I have ever seen go bad lol. Glad you figured it out. You should be happy with the C2Q, I still run on in one of my rigs and I am perfectly happy with it still.
Score
January 18, 2013 10:24:23 AM

cmi86 said:
Wow man that is literally the first processor I have ever seen go bad lol. Glad you figured it out. You should be happy with the C2Q, I still run on in one of my rigs and I am perfectly happy with it still.

this is the first case i'm hearing that an intel processor goes wrong had so much faith on this processor served me very well for these years .i asked to a system engineer that he could anything to repair it he said he could take that processor for 50$ and in turn he could give me a core2quad q9550 if i pay him extra 35$ is it worth?
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 18, 2013 9:22:34 PM

vishalaestro said:
this is the first case i'm hearing that an intel processor goes wrong had so much faith on this processor served me very well for these years .i asked to a system engineer that he could anything to repair it he said he could take that processor for 50$ and in turn he could give me a core2quad q9550 if i pay him extra 35$ is it worth?

Hes going to basically give you $50 for your broken dual and then charge you $35 for a Q9550 ? Hell yeah it's worth it !
Score
January 19, 2013 1:12:06 PM

cmi86 said:
Hes going to basically give you $50 for your broken dual and then charge you $35 for a Q9550 ? Hell yeah it's worth it !

is it a good enough gaming processor compared to core i3 2100?
Score

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
January 27, 2013 3:16:30 PM

I would say it is just as good of a gaming processor as the i3 for the reason that it is a quad vs a dual. Yes the i3 has a better more efficient architecture so clock for clock it will be faster than the C2Q in applications that do not utilize the C2Q's core advantage. However the software market (including game manufacturers) are moving past dual cores coding their software to take advantage of more cores. What this means is that soon the i3's efficiency will mean nothing because it will be crippled by its core count. Also the C2Q is going to be much more capable at muli taking while gaming due to it's core advantage.
January 29, 2013 3:03:09 PM

Best answer selected by vishalaestro.
Score
!