prodigousranger

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
This is a strange one. A home built system, which I unfortunately didn't build so i dont know what is in it exactly and dont have ready access to check for parts specs at the moment.

Anyways, at first it was bsod and whocrashed indicated nothing in particular, mostly kernal failures but not always. Then, it stopped turning on. I pulled the PSU out and confirmed that it wasn't supplying power. Replaced it with a corsair 430W PSU. It turned on after this.

Then i installed ubuntu because we didn't have a win 7 disc to reinstall while I had access. A week later I got a win 7 disc and installed it.

2 days later it wouldn't POST. No response from the motherboard. Replaced that with a gigabyte micro atx board.

It works again, win 7 installed however, now it freezes with a black screen and has to be restarted with a hard shutdown or restart button.

The only thing left is the RAM, CPU, and i guess the HDD but that seems unlikely. It sounds like a power problem to me. It is on a surge protector which I could have them disconnect.

specs as of now
3.0GHZ quad AM3 not sure which one
4 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1.5TB HDD
no video card
430w PSU

Some of my other friends are at a complete loss. As am I. It doesn't seem likely to have a triple failure like this. Any ideas? And if you need more information just say what I need to get.I wont be able to get specific models for a couple days.