Sign in with
Your question

Pc game performance decreased

Last response: in Components
January 11, 2013 6:25:20 PM

Hi everybody !

I'm new to this forum, but I can't even remember how many times I got a great answer to my problems from this forum.

I have a problem that, at least I think, is a pretty serious problem...

I noticed a huge performance decrease in games and pretty much everything I'm doing on my computer.

Not long time ago I bought a new pc because the old one was, well not keeping up with what I needed.I was pretty excited about the new pc.I bought the hardware from a pc components and electronics website here in my country (Romania).

I built the pc at home, It was my first build and I really enjoyed and I was carefully doing everything.

First game I played was COD 5 and then the others following...I had a pretty good fps on all the games COD Black ops never dropped under 40-35 fps (as I was checking with fraps at every game to see the difference)

I played Assassin's Creed ,the first one with a pretty outstanding framerate, but then I updated the bios and installed a fresh copy of win 7 x64...Since then (like in august or something) my gaming performance decreased...But it was pretty much just Assassin's Creed that I noticed...

But now after another fresh install I wake up wanting to play COD Black ops (the first Black Ops) and I noticed a huge decrease in fps even at the menu screen I had like 25-30 fps...and in the game fps drops under 30.

It is really annoying since I sped a lot of money as I'm not really getting an upgrade so often...(this was my 2'nd pc).

So please tell me What could cause it to do this...

I'm thinking maybe a faulty ram or the psu...

My specs

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V
CPU: Intel Core I3 20120 3.3 Ghz 2'nd gen sandy bridge.
GPU: Asus HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 at 4000 Mhz (1000 MHZ) 128 bit. PCI-E 2.0
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB), DDR3, 9-9-9-24, 1600MHz (running at 1333 Mhz as I don't have an 22 nm cpu)
PSU: Inter-Tech Energon 550W
HDD: HDD Western Digital Caviar Blue KX, 250GB, 16MB, 7200rpm, SATA 3

Monitor: LED Philips 23", Wide, Full HD, DVI. All the games That I first ran were on the same monitor with a res of 1920x1080p amd max settings. They run just fine until now.

Please help me I don't know what to do... I've spent so much money on this pc and I can't afford to buy another one.Sorry for the long post.
January 11, 2013 11:22:18 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
My first inclination in your case would be to systematically go through all your drivers to ensure you have the latest and greatest - especially the graphics card driver from ASUS. See if you pick up any of your lost frames that way.
Cleaning your computer can also help to prevent thermal throttling (if applicable)
Hope it helps
January 12, 2013 10:57:16 AM

Thanks for your answer...But It didn't helped...I tried a clean install of the graphic driver and I even cleaned my pc...I installed crysis 2 and everything seems to be working fine....I mean i get around 30 to 50 fps in crysis but I don't know why, but I just feel like my computer is not working as is should be...I don't know why I have this feeling...it just feels slower...

I did a benchmark test with unigine heaven and I get around the same results that I got before....I start to think it is a software issue,a bad driver as I don't think is my psu since crysis is running cool (at least that's what I think) and...But it could also be a gpu problem since the fps in Cod are like 25-70-80 I mean i think is a big fluctuation but it could also be a driver issue since I know for a fact that amd drivers are sometimes a little buggy.I'm just gonna not play cod and just I don't even know...I hope the problem reveals itself because I had the same issue with Assassin's Creed for more than 5 months...

Let me know what you think I should do...And if it is the psu not providing enough power to the gpu and the other components, could the gpu or cpu break of get week if I'm pushing them to much ? I mean I have warranty, but I don't want them to break after the warranty expires....

I even noticed a bad framerate in Company of Heroes...Please answer if you know or if this happened to you before.

Thanks in advance
!