GTX 480 Problem - White lines / distorted colours

cloakaine

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm currently building a new PC and have run into a problem with the video card. It was given to me by my uncle, and he has also put a custom fan on it.

Here is what the screen looks like using the video card: http://imgur.com/NvvHO

When loading Windows 7 64-bit, white lines appear across the screen as well.

Specs:
GTX 480 video card
G1 Sniper M3 mobo
Intel i5-3450
8gb RAM
Kingston 128gb SSD
OCZ 700watt power supply

Is the video card dead?

gofasterstripes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
My first thought is that it's a problem with the driver. If you're online with the machine, go to

http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/45053

[this should be the page for the newest 480 card drivers, failing that just go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers and select 400 series]

Assuming everything else is in order you'll get a new driver package and the problem will likely go away.... If it asks, do a clean install/remove old drivers.

If you're not on the machine, you should be able to go to the same page and d/l the driver package. Copy it to a USB drive or something, and transfer it to the other machine.

Hardware issues usually give recurring jagged patterns at all times. This is usually a VRAM issue, and won't go away at any point.

Good luck, and drop us a simple line if you manage to fix the problem.

GfS

cloakaine

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi GfS, the drivers didn't do the trick. After installing and restarting, nothing changed. Any other ideas?

gofasterstripes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Sorry about that. I now see you have them on the desktop! I feel a little silly, sorry, was distracted by the funky colours.

Further advice: This assumes you've tested the card with a known good monitor and cable - there's no point troubleshooting with additional unknowns in the mix!

Try Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution - hit advanced settings. There's 3 things that might help here - if the next window pops up shows there's a problem.

EG, if it doesn't correctly report the information on the adapter type, or states the device has a problem, then that is worth knowing] My 470 lists as an Adapter or Chip type GTX 470, with 1280 MB or Dedicated RAM. Yours should be a 480, with 1500 [or close] MB of RAM.

Also - hit Properties on that panel - this should again list a GTX 480, and report "This device is working properly"

Back out of that screen if everything looks OK - check the COLOUR BIT DEPTH - the picture does look a little like 8 bit colour to me! This is accessed via
Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution\Advanced Settings\List All Modes - check you have a "True Color" mode selected, and you'll likely have the best results with the resolution that matches your screen's Res., and also 60 Hz [assuming a flat panel/LCD screen]

That's it from me - I don't have any more ideas [except to go get ready for that job interview I have today!]

Good luck.

GfS

cloakaine

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
@GfS, I"ll give that a try when I get home. That sounds like it would work if the only problem was the weird colours, but I'm the most worried about the white lines across the screen during loading. Good luck on your interview! Will let you know if it works.

@amuffin, I have tried it with two monitors, two cables, but only on the same slot. I figured the mobo was brand new so everything should work just fine, whereas the card is a bit old.

cloakaine

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi guys, went to a computer store and they tested it out. According to them, it's because the video card overheated! I've bought a new video card now, but thanks for all your help!